Snow Sensor Tutorials

Hi,

I finally got my Fluke 414D and LR4 together and it seems to be working with the Porcupine software.

So here is my problem - I am finding bits and pieces of old and new posts about different parts and problems and corrections using this system but nothing like a direct or step by step tutorial on how to put everything together to show something on my weather page.

I have the Fluke 414D and LR4 put together and it seems to be working using the Porcupine software on a Win 10 machine, as of yesterday running latest WD.

I am using both the Saratoga templates and Jachym’s Meteotemplate.

From what I have gathered so far I found: I need to be running the Porcupine software, but I am not sure which program to use or what the best setup should be; Example in the LrDemo what are the best settings to use (like the interval time and such)?? I also found the WD Setup — – Boltwood/Home-Made Aurora === /Snow Depth USB Lazer Snow Sensor – I see that the Threshold is set to 0.4 but from what I seemed to read, is that some or most of you have it set to 0.2, and I should check the box to use the cronlazersnow.exe There is also some thing about setting up custom tags and log files.

So, did I miss a setup page or tutorial??

Anyone, thanks for any help.

yamiacveman

pennlake.us

I did find out for the Porcupine software, especially the LrDemo app that for my new Win 10 computer I had to install Microsoft visual c ++ Redistributable 2005 (86) package because I was getting a side by side error.

Just run wdisplay and it will automatically start cronlazer snow (should be version 2.7) and LRTimelog.exe. You should take your readings about 5 mins to the hour so start wdisplay then. It should read every 3600 seconds ie. 1 hour. I now believe the threshold should be set to .04 cms to limit ghost snow. There are a set of templates to add the graphs to your webpage. If someone doesn’t send them to you I’ll try to locate mine which are stored on one of my computers somewhere.

Rick

Thanks Charmed!!!

I have some time today to see if I can get it going — I am only trying to get something going inside cause it’s been to cold to trench anything outside.

Very important note!!! - While trying to set his up inside my wife wanted to know what I was doing – I explained that I was trying to set this Laser up so I can measure the dust in the house. Believe me - that doesn’t go over well. lol.

Again thanks charmed.

yamiacaveman

Ok, here is a bit of an update: I hooked every thing up to my weather computer and it seems to be working: By that I mean the cronlasersnow comes on and so does the LRTimelog. Of course, I am still inside, so I move the laser and it does seem to accurately record the movement.

But with that, I get no reading in the WD screen and was wondering how, if, when does it get there, I must be missing something else??

Also, in cronlaser ground offset 0.2?, Dalla 1 wire 0.2 threshold to count? and in the LrDemo Set up 0.2 threshold?

Again thanks for any help!

when you say no reading on WD screen , how do you mean exactly?

Sorry for the delay in responding Brian, and all is Good.

I had some excellent training today in setting up and using your great effort with the cronlazersnow program and the LRTimeLog program for measuring snow.

Tremendous work you did!!! I find it hard to believe more people aren’t using this - If I can get it working (with great help) most of these guys here sure can.

The problem with not getting the data to the display - in my case was – I was trying to get this running inside my home – I had the lazer set up about 8 inches from a wall and was setting it up with the LrDemo program and in the trial I was getting - (negative numbers) which I guess WD can’t read – But the REAL Problem is that at first i did not notice but saw that the setting in the LrDemo program would default to 30.4 cm about 12 inches not the 8 inches I was using it at, so the negative numbers. So it looks like (again in my case) the Flute Lazer has to be set up initially more than 30.4 cm to work.

Of course now I have to wait until the thaw to get it working for next year.

Again Great Work!!!

Now awaiting templates for graphing.

Thanks to all.

yamiacaveman