Oklahoma Weather

Now, this is the first forum I’ve actually joined. So let me introduce myself real quick, I’m an aspiring storm spotter and 16, and a volunteer for the local EOC. (For those who may not know what that is it’s the “Emergency Operations Center”) anyway. I live in Oklahoma. It rivals most places on the planet for spontaneous weather events if I do say so myself. And yesterday (1/11/2018) at about 8 am, I was running late for school. It was beautiful out, it was Spring weather with highs in the 60’s. I got around and headed into the living room, but when I got to the end of the hallway I felt the chilliest breeze I ever have in my own home. I looked around trying to figure out where it came from. I looked into the dining room, and low and behold, the wind knocked our dining room window again. This isn’t unusual, the thing isn’t built right. So I go to put it up, and just so happen to take a look outside when I do. Where it was sunny with not a cloud in the sky, and in the upper 60’s, it was now dark as night, with one massive black cloud and the temperature was dropping so fast it was actually noticeable. Now as an EOC volunteer, I carry around my scanner and typically keep it tuned in to 162.427 (NOAA Weather Radio) because the station for that frequency is maybe a quarter mile south east from my house so for obvious reasons I get some of the most accurate weather reports around. So I turn my scanner on, and kept on all the way to school. About a mile south, it had been raining, a mile north had had sleet. This cold front came out of nowhere. It, A. was predicted but the report seemed wrong, which any Okie knows isn’t uncommon. Oklahoma Weather is next to impossible to accurately predict, so everyone had assumed it wasn’t coming. B. When it did hit it was the most violent weather change I’d ever seen (or felt). By the time I had gotten to school, the weather had dropped to about 20 degrees from the 60’s. So what’s the craziest weather change to happen to you guys?

I have seen a lot of reports on that cold front temperature drop
sure looked like a doozey!