Universal Interface and Negative Temperatures

have been feeding Weather Display v10.37R Build 74 via the universal interface DATAIN38.INI and it has been working beautifully until today’s cold snap. We are getting negative temperatures readings, but Weather Display seems to be treating them as positive readings. Right now, the DATAIN38.INI line is:

17.7 1.2 -2.6 65.7 1033.6 0.00 271 0 23.0 26.1 0

or -2.6

Just tested this in more current version 10.37S62 and it is working correctly, i.e. displaying 27.3 F.

So probably better to update to a more recent version :smiley:

Well, an upgrade to 10.37S62 fixed the temperature issue, but I’m seeing some odd ball behavior. Has the executable changed from WeatherD to WeatherDisplay? Running WeatherDisplay on Windows 7 gives me periods where WeatherDisplay is using 100% of one CPU core with memory usage of 150 Meg or more while the application shows “Not Responding”.

Thanks,
Doug

Yes, the executable has changed name. I use W7 but have no idea what would cause the symptoms you report :frowning:

The problem is related to custom web page generation/upload. I noticed WeatherDisplay was going to 100% load every five minutes on the 5, e.g. 6:00, 6:05, 6:10, etc. It would run like that for about three minutes, then return to normal (around 4-7% load).

I have been uploading my page http://weather.douglasjohnson.org every five minutes. Hummm. Anyway, I turned off the generation/upload and the load stayed normal. Just now, I pressed the “Test Internet Update Now” button in the Web Files Upload Times and AV/Ext" control panel. We’re at 100% load again.

One more tidbit: I also have some files that upload via the “General FTP functions” control panel. They seem to upload without problems. That combined with this comment in the release notes: “Improvement/speed to parsing of custom tags.” makes me think of some problem in web file generation.

Thanks,
Doug

What CPU?

It’s a wimpy Intel Atom Z530 at 1.6 GHz in a Dell Mini 1210. https://www.cnet.com/au/products/dell-inspiron-mini-1210/review/

1GB RAM, 60 GB SSD, Windows 7 32 bit. It is dedicated to running WeatherDisplay and ran v10.37R Build 74 without breaking a sweat.

– Doug

Hmmm, have to wait for Brian for this one :? I assume you are using a template with tags, if so I suggest you post it so he has something to work with.

Sure.
– Doug

wxlocal.html.txt (17.1 KB)

I installed 10.37S59 and the problem is in that version, too.
– Doug

v10.37R Build 74 is a very old version
a lot has changed since then
I see you are using a very low spec system (very little memory, etc)
I just tested the conversion of your wxlocal.htm file to wx.html
with the latest WD version
and it took 2 seconds .i.e no problems (but I have a pc with a lot higher spec than your one)

OK. Thanks for looking into it. And thanks for Weather Display. I’ve been running it for 17 years now.

Happy New Year,
Doug

are you able to add more memory to your setup?

No. But that doesn’t seem to be the constraint. According to the performance monitor, I’m only using about 75% of physical memory and there is little paging activity. The constraint seems to be just raw CPU performance. I’m considering moving the style stuff to a .css file. I should do that anyway, but could it help with performance?

Otherwise, I’ll just live with it for now. The machine is an old laptop dedicated to WeatherDisplay, so it doesn’t matter if it’s kind of slow.

Thanks,
Doug