Repairing hobby board chips

Hi everybody

I get frequently asked about how you replace a hobby board surface mount chip
I put some information on my website hope you find it useful and encouraging
http://www.weather-above.com/surface%20mount%20chip%20replacement.html

Mick

Good one Mick :smiley:

Those inexpensive hot air stations are great for hobby use. Amazon has them too (at a higher price of course) and the reviews are positive, example. There have been a few reports of incorrect/faulty wiring, as suggested in that link it would be a good idea to test on a ground fault protected outlet before use.

I’ll be interested to see the USB microscope review when you have time :slight_smile:

Hi
Thank you for the information will update my website on what to check for
I just take my unit to bits and the build quality is amazing, The unit I am using as a UK plug and the fuse and the switch and the wires coming from them are correct
The fuse holder has a nylon locking spacer which the other units shown with problems have not got this, colour coding of the wiring is standard UK Colours
The wires connecting to the earthing post is very well put together Will upload images tomorrow

Considering the one I purchased was the cheapest on eBay it does not compare to any of the problem units quality on my unit is exceptional
it has all the standard CE labels and on the back of the case there is another quality control label

If you do buy one of these you need make sure you get somebody to look at it to make sure the wiring is correct for your country and the wiring to the fuse and earth cables should be to the country of origin
standards

Will do a review next on the USB microscope and software

Thank you

That’s good news :slight_smile: The units are great value IMHO.