Memory requirements for 64bit gui

Im running build 292. I think iam a version or two behind.

use the latest and then let me know

Ok. Will download that and let it run a few days. Thanks.

I am running Build 295 on Ubuntu 16.04 with 16GB of RAM. After about 64 hours running, WD for Linux b295 consumes all of the memory on my system and then starts into the swap file. I am about to send the details to Brian.

My workaround currently is a daily reboot at 3am using a Cron task. If you’re unfamiliar with how to do that, let me know and I’ll post the details.

so its still has a memory leak
so back to the drawing board

Grantk, could you post the details on your daily reboot. Sounds like the easiest workaround for now. Thanks.

OK, what I have discovered is
when you move the mouse over the graphs on the main screen
that produces a memory leak

that fact has been sending me on wild goose chases!

I just tried it and you are correct. You can watch the memory use jump up quickly as the mouse is moved over the graph. However, i would add that even if you dont do snything with the mouse the memory use still goes up albeit much more slowly.

the memory jump with the mouse over the graphs problem does not occur on the mac version (just tested that)
and yet the same code is used, so there is a problem I think with the linux compiler somwhere

Yes, I have noticed that after I open some menu options and then close them, the memory usage remains higher than it was before I did that.

However, as BrianF7408 says above, the memory leak is still there even if I don’t do anything. 99% of the time, WD is running headless with TV switched off and no mouse enabled. And yet it still consumes memory at the rate of about 145MB per hour, as per the figures I sent you.

which I think is a bug with the linux compiler (which is still being developed by the author) and how it handles graphics etc

Here you go:

1. Edit the Crontab file using: sudo crontab -e

2. Put this command at the end of the file to reboot the system at 3am every day: 0 3 * * * /sbin/reboot

3. Save the file and a message ‘crontab: installing new crontab’ should appear.

4. Restart cron with: sudo /etc/init.d/cron restart

That’s it. When 3am next rolls around, your system will reboot and restore the memory usage to about 900MB, give or take a little.

I take it you’ve worked out how to start WD automatically after reboot?

Looks like there’s nothing more you can do to fix it for now. Many thanks for all your efforts on this :slight_smile:

Thanks for the instruction grantk. Yes i had previously figured out the start at reboot with sudo.

I would think it would be better if I get WD to restart itself daily instead

That would be cool!

have done that now
latest update
tested and works at 3:10:30 am

Thanks Brian for tidying that up.

I noticed there is another executable called WDstartdelay present in the .tar file so have copied that into wdisplay along with the main executable. I’ve left it running and will check on it tomorrow morning to make sure the restart has taken place. If not I can revert to the previous method.

Confirmed.

WDISPLAY.INI records the startup time as 3:10:43 so I guess the intervening 13 seconds are the time taken to reload WD and get things running again, which seems reasonable. Memory and CPU usage have returned to normal after the restart.

I am about to go away for 4 days but will keep an eye on things from afar. With this new restart arrangement I can hopefully rely on WD to run like clockwork in the way Linux does :wink:

Also confirmed it is restarting here as well. Wdisplay.ini shows 3:10:44 am.