JavaScript WDL version 1.0.0 alpha.

Hi, looking at your config file, it seems you have two different guageSettings data structures. Try joining them into one, e.g.:

gaugeSettings = {
        solar: {
            enabled: true
        },
        UV: {
            enabled: true
        },
        windChill: {
            mode: "windchill", //The default mode, either "heatIndex" or "windchill" (note: lowercase c)
           autoSwitch: true //If true, will switch between heat index/wind chill depending on what is appropriate.
        },
        temperature: {
            title: " TempMDC "
        },		
        temperature01: {
            enabled: true,
            title: "Indoor Temperature",
            input: "indoor",
            highLowEnabled: true
        }
};

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you for the quick response.

Good catch on the cut and paste error, I should have seen that myself. However still no luck with the new config.

I’m still getting an error from your config file. I think now you have only one lot of guageSettings, but there is some left over text down below it!
see: https://i.imgur.com/nXdU5Ey.png, everything highlighted needs to be removed.

-Yerren

Thank you for the reply. The file I saved did not have the extra stuff in it when I checked. Today I tried replacing the contents of the config and then renaming the config in case there was some cache I was missing. Nothing made a difference. Still no indoor temp.

Hi, at least I’m not getting any errors now.
I believe you need to use “temperature02” as opposed to “temperature01”. Now I wonder who came up with that confusing naming scheme… :lol:

E.g.,

temperature02: {
            title: "Indoor Temperature",
            input: "indoor",
        }

After requesting help from the team, the below is my code on getting the indoor temp to work, along with the indoor temp showing the high and low for the day, and as Yerren said you need to set the value as 02 for the indoor unit (temperature02)

temperature02: {
title: “Indoor”,
input: “indoor”,

That worked. Thank you for all the help.

Hi Yerren

Since you have just added the indoor temp capability into FreshWDL, I have just noticed that on the graphs “Indoor Temp last 24 hours” is not available in the drop down box.

That graph is available in the old WDL so wonder if this could be added as a future addition when you get around to it.

Also, not sure if this could be added…but in WDL if you click a component, like the Temp, or Barometer etc, it opens up the related graph which displays the graph for the component that you clicked.

Hmm, good point about the indoor temp graphs.
I’ll keep both those points in mind for when I have some free time again!

Is rain rate available or could it be added?

It’s not available yet, but it would be a good thing to implement for sure.

Are there any plans to provide a config.js file that has all the options/parameters shown as commented out lines of code? Looking through various postings there are new capabilities added - would love to see something that is easy to add graphs, etc.

Hmm, I hadn’t considered that. I like the idea though, will definitely do something like that in the future!

Don’t know if you missed this suggestion?

I didn’t miss it, it’s just that all the text sizes are essentially decided dynamically, based on the size of the word and how much space there is for it. This is because we have maybe 15+ different languages running at the moment, so you can see the issue if I needed to manually set the font size for each title for each language… That being said, I’ll have a look and see if I can somehow set a max size or something similar.

Thanks, that would be good :slight_smile:

Cheers mate. :slight_smile:

Hey everyone, been a little while! :smiley: Finished with exams for the year, so had some time to work on an update. I also have had to think about how the software can be managed in the future, and would like to discuss my thoughts, so please read below the update notes for that. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the matter!

Update ( 1.1.8 ):
Notable changes:

• Option to only show Watts per Meter Squared on solar gauge. (To activate this, add the following to the ‘solar’ section of ‘gaugeSettings’ in your config file: mode: “Watt”).
  • Option to disable particular graphs if desired.
  • Trend arrows added.
  • Windchill/heatindex gauge now changes tooltip accordingly.
  • Changed ticks and scaling on some gauges to produce nicer numbers.
  • Null (blank, “—”) forecasts are now suppressed.

Full changelog: https://github.com/Yerren/FreshWDL/blob/master/Changelog.md

What you need to do to utilise update: Nothing, unless you want to change the new config settings regarding solar or hiding graphs (see below).

New config settings can be seen in action below:

gaugeSettings = { //Gauges: apparent temperature barometer windChill graphHandlerBarometer graphHandlerRainfall graphHandlerTemperature graphHandlerWindSpeed humidity moonSun solar status rainfallTitle rainfallDay rainfallMonth rainfallYear UV windDirection windSpeed
        solar: {
            mode: "Watt"
        },
    },
   graphSettings = {
        barometer: {enabled: true},
        humidity: {enabled: true},
        solar: {enabled: true},
        temp: {enabled: true},
        uv: {enabled: true},
        windDir: {enabled: true},
        windSpeed: {enabled: true},
        rainfall: {enabled: true}
    };

Discussion:
So, I’ve come to realise that people want different things out of FreshWDL. A big one is that people need different (new) gauges - dew point, fire index, snow data, web cams, cloud base, and the list goes on - as well as wanting different styles of gauges. The issue is, there just isn’t the space to put all these gauges on the FreshWDL page! Even adding extra temperature sensors is a tradeoff, and I am sure that you would much rather be able to choose which gauges you lose/make smaller yourself, rather than having a prescribed layout.

On top of this, I’ve quickly realised that you are all very creative people! You have pushed the limits which the small amount of flexibility that FreshWDL currently offers, and given the opportunity you’d be designing amazing pages yourself I’m sure.

So, my dream would be to have some way that you can, yourselves, design the layout of your pages, with more options for gauges (see: wind-speed in the old speedometer style, choosing your own colour schemes, etc.). However, this is a lot easier said than done. To keep it brief, to do this, I’d need to:

1. Completely re-haul the backend of the software.
  2. Implement customisation through coding.
  3. Create a (simple) web-app to let you customise without needing coding knowledge.
  4. Create the new gauges people want
  5. Figure out all the things I didn’t realise I would need to do to make this work (I have a feeling it will need some server integration…)

Long story short, this would be a massive, massive task. It is also the only way I can see FreshWDL progressing in this way. Unfortunately, dedicating my time and resources to this just isn’t feasible if I am putting off payed work for this hobby project… So, now I have a question for you: are these features important enough that you’d be willing to pay for them? If you would find these enhancements imperative enough to be worth paying for (maybe a few dollars a month to access them? Remember, this is purely hypothetical at this point!) then I could justify putting aside paid work to develop this.

If all of this isn’t actually important to you, than the other option is to keep going as is, with a few set layouts, mostly the same, with minimal flexibility. I wish I could offer more for free, but I just cannot justify the time, or loss of income.

So, the bottom line is: Would you be interested in paying for the sort of flexibility as described above? If you would be, than I will consider working on it (though, I already have my summer and next year booked up, so it would be a little while till I’d have the capacity to do so, I’d say. That being said, I could make a good start now, before other work starts). Or, on the other hand, are you content with how it is currently, and devoting all this effort into the project would be a waste of my time and income for no major reason.

I am really interested in everyones thoughts on the matter, so please let me know what you think! I’m open to hearing anything!

Thanks again for all your support and patience with FreshWDL :slight_smile:
-Yerren

Please keep going as is, I’m not too worried about enhancements.

I’m glad to hear it’s good as it is! It can be hard to know how it’s working from other people’s perspectives, so I appreciate it. :smiley: