JavaScript WDL version 1.0.0 alpha.

Itā€™s been awhile (years) since Iā€™ve had WDisplayLive running. Thought Iā€™d give FreshWDL a try with the demise of Flash approaching. Seems like it should be simple enough, but . . . Iā€™ve got a couple of problems going.

I canā€™t get the clientraw.txt file to upload to my ftp server. 1st screen shot is of the Web files panel that I believe is setup correctly. The FTP setting are correct, I use Cyberduck and Iā€™m getting on the server with these settings. Could there be another panel somewhere that also needs to be setup? I tried to uncheck, ā€œReset the FTP error countā€ and ā€œI am running my own web server, and no FTP neededā€, to see if that would force it to FTP the file. They wonā€™t stay unchecked, next time the panel is opened they are checked. The clientraw file is updating in the documents/wdisplay/webfiles folder so that is working.

I uploaded the clientraw file along with config.js and FreshWDLmaster.html files to the server just to see what it would look like. It comes up as data currently unavailable. (2nd & 3rd screen shots) Iā€™m on a Mac, checked the JAVA settings, Iā€™m running the most current JAVA, web brower is enabled. I also put the config and html files in the documents/wdsiplay/webfiles folder with the same results. Iā€™d like to get the minute by minute clientraw file on local computers vs the every 5 minutes that Iā€™m trying to upload to the FTP site.

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong here. Are there more files needed besides the config and html files? Iā€™ve downloaded both the freshwdl.zip and FreshWDL-1.1.1a.zip files. The 1.1.1a had all sorts of other files and folders that just for grins I put all those up on my FTP server with the same results so they have been deleted.

Iā€™m sure there is massive operator error going on here, can someone point me in the right direction?

screenshot_432.jpg

You have checked the box for ā€œrunning my own server, no FTP neededā€, but your post has ā€œI canā€™t get the clientraw.txt file to upload to my ftp serverā€.

Do you want to upload the file by FTP?

Yes I want to upload the file to FTP server. Iā€™ve repeatedly unchecked the ā€œrunning my own server, no FTP neededā€ hit OK then when I reopen the panel it is checked again.

Hmmm, well thatā€™s the problem. In windows I would direct you to Control Panel, FTP & Connections, where there is a similar setting which could be forcing that one, but I donā€™t know if you have that in mac :dontknow:

Humm, OK now it is uploading to the FTP Server, along with clientrawdaily.txt, clientrawexttra.txt and clientrawhour.txt and the web page is working. I suspect that I needed more than just the clientraw.txt. Right now itā€™s updating every 30 seconds, not sure how itā€™s doing that, Iā€™ve got the upload set at 5 minutes. WOW really looks good. I guess it just needed to think about it for awhile . . .

I put the config.js and FreshWDLmaster.html files in the documents/wdisplay/webfiles folder hoping to use that on the local network but still coming back as not receiving data. I tried putting all the files from the 1.1.1a files into the web folder which has no effect. Is there a way to have it work on the local network separately from the Internet?

Ideally what Iā€™d like is to have the near realtime on the local network and a 5 minute upload to the FTP server/Internet.

Didnā€™t mean to start this off with the same Humm. Your reply was coming in as this was going out :smiley:

Hey :slight_smile:

At this stage, it is not possible (as far as Iā€™m aware) to run the system on a local network.
However, uploading a text file uses very, very little data, so having the clientraw file upload in close to real time is definitely an option that many people use to get pretty much real time reporting.

Yeah, Iā€™ve kind of gotten used to the near real time results although I still havenā€™t figured out how Iā€™m getting them. I have FTP setup for 5 minutes and the control panel wonā€™t let me uncheck the running my own server option so I guess some how that is going to the FTP which in reality itā€™s my server since itā€™s my domain just not housed on my computer. :smiley: Love what youā€™ve done, it looks and works great!

Try ticking use WD,s Ftpud?

Hi Yerren is the latest version that you made mention of on the 6th July the same version that is available for download on this site dated 29th June ???

Or is there a newer version to this 29th June file.

Bruce

Hey, itā€™s still the same HTML file that has been available since the 29th of June, all the changes were on the server-side. :slight_smile:

Thanks for this. I have FreshWDL running. I also use the Saratoga template and have a page that has the WDL display. When I access the FreshWDL page directly is looks great http://weather.5-scotts.com/FreshWDLmaster.html. When I access the FreshWDL page through the saratoga template it does not ā€˜autoscaleā€™. It looks like this:http://weather.5-scotts.com/FreshWDLSaratoga.png.

What do I need to do to have it ā€˜autoscaleā€™ to the Saratoga template? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Maybe you should try it with an iframe in a new page.

Piet

Something to try :slight_smile:

Use a simple webserver such as Mongoose to have JavaScript WDL on the local network. I have quickly tested this and it works for me. If your PCā€™s are behind a NAT router without port forwarding it should be relatively safe but try at your own risk, I have not spent more than a few minutes on this.

Copy the JavaScript WDL files into the same folder as the clientraw files.

Download the Mongoose Free Windows version executable into the same folder (you may have to move it there after download).

Click the Mongoose.exe to start it, youā€™ll get a windows popup, let it have access.

A browser window will open, direct it to localhost:8080/FreshWDLmaster.html - you should see JavaScript WDL working

On other PCā€™s on the network you should see JavaScript WDL at http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/FreshWDLmaster.html where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of the server PC. (Obviously that PC should be assigned a fixed IP for this to be a workable system.)

niko, Thanks for the suggestion but Iā€™m on a Mac sooooo Itā€™s doing fine going to the FTP server so no problems here.

I think OSX includes Apache web serverā€¦

I do not know how to do that? The HTML page is loaded with an ā€˜Includeā€™ and I cannot put a iframe in that call. The FreshWDL.html is all script calls so I donā€™t know how to do iframe there?

I did this

Error: Embedded data could not be displayed.

And I am in no way a programmer.

Thanks that helped. I am able to scale it down. In the Saratoga templates there is a user selectable option for ā€˜wideā€™ or ā€˜narrowā€™ display. I was able to auto adjust for that like this:

<div id="main-copy">

<h1><?php langtrans('Fresh Weather Display Live'); ?></h1>
<?php
	if($_SESSION['CSSwidescreen'] == 1) { ?>
		<object data="FreshWDLmaster.html" width="1200" height="600" background="white"> <embed src="FreshWDLmaster.html" background="white"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
<?php
	;} else { ?>
		<object data="FreshWDLmaster.html" width="650" height="375" background="white"> <embed src="FreshWDLmaster.html" background="white"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
<?php
	;} ?>

</div><!-- end main-copy -->

Thank you for the help.

Nice that it succeeded

Piet

Thatā€™s a nice implementation into the Saratoga template.

I put in my site. Iā€™ve noticed that the text and numbers are not crisp on the left side of the page. Or perhaps itā€™s my eyes.

http://www.m82a1.us/wxWDL.php