JavaScript WDL version 1.0.0 alpha.

Hey,

The issue seems to be caused from something which was appended to the css link in one of the older HTML pages. (I will note that the issue is not present in the most up to date version available from the downloads page).
To solve the issue, remove the v?=1.0.1 from the stylesheet link in your HTML file. It should now look like this:

<!-- Include initially needed CSS -->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://gitcdn.xyz/cdn/Yerren/FreshWDL/master/css/stylesheet01.css"> <!--Includes the project's css sheet -->

I am sorry about not getting back to you all sooner, for some reason I didn’t get / missed the notifications from this thread.

Oh, and as to why this has only suddenly taken effect…? Your guess is as good as mine! 8O

In regards to the HTML document being a mess… Yep, it is :lol:
It is set out like it is so that you guys don’t need to worry about changing things every time I update, which otherwise you would have to.

If you don’t like the idea about the scripts being hosted from github, rather than your local server, what you can do is download the UpperContent, InnerContent, js_bundles, and css files/folders, host those locally, and change the links in your HTML file to match their new locations. It might sound like a bit of a handful, but it is actually quite straightforward to do.
You will need to re-download them when there is an update, though, and set it up again.

Hopefully this helps,
-Yerren

Thanks Yerren that was a simple fix, I just removed the part you mentioned above and all is good to go.

Bruce

Yerren good to know you found something, however your HTML is not well structured and will not validate for W3C standards which it should in order to eliminate possible issues, albeit not the problem here but I think it should be made W3C compliant since it is being used by many here.

Another issue is that having all the code elsewhere and not on the server (domain) the HTML and config is on also leads to this kind of issue and is the reason I will not have it live on my site. The code is now good and reliable so I think it is about time you create a package which allows all the code to be downloaded and placed on the users server, this way when they have it working it will not get messed up by changes on server where the code is located.

Stuart

As I said, you can definitely download all the files and host them yourself right now if you wish.
The HTML cannot easily be made to W3C standards (due to some very finicky details) but I will look into it more and see if I can change things up a bit.
For now just bear in mind that this is very much not an HTML website (which is W3C deals with) but rather an application which is run from 99% JavaScript.

However, I can see the appeal to create one easy to setup package that people can download and host locally (and which is formatted properly).
I will add it to the to-do list :slight_smile:

-Yerren

Mine’s fixed now, thank you :slight_smile:

Yerren the code I uploaded in this post does in fact both work and validate fine so you could for now just use that if you wish. It is the code I have running on my server (although not linked to my website).

I understand that your code is primarily just a javascript program but a lot of folks here have a specific design for their sites and like all the pages displayed to be in the same format. This currently can only be added if you use an iframe or embed tags. The current implementation of the Steel Gauges in javascript do not need either of these techniques to add them to an existing design.

It would be good if in future the implementation of FreshWDL could take this on board.

Stuart

That’s really awesome, thank you for that! :slight_smile:

I think the reason it doesn’t work without an iFrame (or similar) is that it scales relative to the window.
I will see if I can change that, somehow.

I have forgoten, but was there way to set the update frequency?

Currently it’s not customisable, however it would be easy to add in to the config file if needed.

However, I will stress the fact it tries to update quite frequently (every five seconds) but it really uses practically no data or processing power to do so, as unless the files have changed it doesn’t fetch them (due to the power of cashing) and even if it does need to get a new file, fetching raw text is a really tiny job (<1kb) :slight_smile:

I will put it on the to-do list, as I can understand if people want to play around with it. But really, for the time being, rest assured that it’s a very non-intrusive task!

Hi Yerren

I have done nothing to my webpage since I had to fix it up last time because it went ultra large size.

Today it has done it again ???

http://www.fairfieldweather.info/wdl.html

Hey,

I notice that there is a “?” at the end of your css link (probably left over from the other thing) which shouldn’t be there.

I have a feeling that if you remove that, it should be fine! :slight_smile:

I stand corrected, there is another (#-o) awkward bit of legacy code left over from somewhere in that one CSS line causing issues this time.
Essentially, where it said:

https://gitcdn.xyz/repo/Yerren/FreshWDL/master/css/stylesheet01.css

the “repo” needs to be replaced with “cdn”, like so:

https://gitcdn.xyz/cdn/Yerren/FreshWDL/master/css/stylesheet01.css

I do seriously think this stresses what Stuart said earlier however, that we need a validated HTML page that people can use, as well as a stand alone package.
Rest assured I will work on that as a first priority (though with not much time to spare, it might still be a little while).

Sorry for the issue!

All sorted…thanks Yerren

Hey all, finally had the time to release a new update. :slight_smile:

Notable changes:

• Support for other languages added. (Please see: http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/65434 for information on how to help with translation!)
  • Date is now displayed in status gauge.
  • HTML file is now validated.
  • Some other minor changes.

Full changelog: https://github.com/Yerren/FreshWDL/blob/master/Changelog.md

What you need to do to utilise update: Technically nothing, but I strongly suggest you get the new config and HTML file from the Weather Display download page (http://www.weather-display.com/files.php). The valid HTML page is a good idea to have, as the old one is starting to throw some interesting error messages behind the scenes… I can’t promise it will keep working indefinitely!

A special thanks to Stuart (A.K.A. broadstairs) for essentially re-formatting the HTML page to a much cleaner state!

Oh, and if you want to change the language of your system… It’s just the added field in the new config file. :slight_smile:

Just put in the new config and html files and now I notice that my black wind direction pointer is not moving from N. The green average pointer is OK, and the degree values too.

Is this a coincidence? I must admit I don’t look at FreshWDL every day so I can’t be more specific about when it happened. . .

This is pretty neat and thanks!

Would it be possible to switch out the Windchill graphic with a heat index graphic via the config file or temperature logic?

I would be interested in that-especially on a day like today.

I think Yerren has introduced a bug re the wind direction pointer

Yes, I’ve seen it on a few sites. Since I posted I realised that I can’t alter things like that by changing config and html files!

hopefully an easy fix for him to roll out behind the scenes