JavaScript WDL version 1.0.0 alpha.

Yerren, many thanks for your selfless hard work on this!
All up and running here too.

Looking forward to the future developments with great anticipation.

Regards,
Paul.

Yerren, many thanks for your selfless hard work on this!
All up and running here too.
Looking forward to the future developments with great anticipation.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Best Regards from Canada,
Marian

http://www.celinmeteo.com/wdisplay/wxfreshWDL.php

I’m not sure what is happening here, but FreshWDL is hanging at the “Collecting data” point. All my “client” files are located in the root directory ie www.mikeymsweather.com/clientraw.txt etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated - Thanks

Cheers

:?

MikeyM

What’s the url of your FreshWDL page?

I’m a late comer to this thread, which Don kindly indicated in another forum.

First, amazing to have this older style, but still very nicely designed, program emulated with much more secure and stable work.

I have read some of the comments and the intricacies to make this work are beyond my grasp, but hats off to Yerren for his work in getting this up to speed.

While I realize this is still in the very early stages, alpha I believe, perhaps I can comment on a couple things. I think Don has already mentioned that the ‘heartbeat’ pulse in the upper left has colors from grey to light green that are far from adequate contrast for us older folks. Perhaps the green can be a really dark green, approaching the saturation seen with the Wind Speed green and purple.

Secondly, I have used the config.js file to select US units for my display. However, while the tick marks along the side of the daily rainfall are correct, the monthly and yearly marks are set at and stay in mm. In addition, when one cycles the various options for temperature from C to F and back, the inscriptions along side the thermometer change nicely. However the rain module only changes the area under each tube, and doesn’t affect the inscriptions or scaling along the side of all three.

Perhaps these are areas already identified, and I apologize for bringing them up again.

But it is all in my enthusiasm to see my old friend “WDL” gaining a new lease on life through the efforts of Yerren to bring it to this level.

Thank you. Dale

Goed werk PeeGee ! bedankt !! chapeau !

Got them from your test page works fine (out of the box for WDL html as well) thank you ! =D>

Thanks Niko

www.mikeymsweather.com/FreshWDLmaster.html

MikeyM

May not be the issue but I see a typo in “mph” in the config.js

wind: "mnph",            //Options: "kmh" "mph" "kts" "ms" "mm" "inch"

Open config.js and correct wind units…

wind: “mnph”, //Options: “kmh” “mph” “kts” “ms” “mm” “inch”
to “mph”
It’s show stopper.
Gus

THANKS! =D> :D/ You guys are my heroes. That’s what happens when you do stuff at 1 am in the morning and I even checked and double checked it.

Thanks again.

:smiley:

Cheers

MikeyM

Can someone who understands the way this stuff works let me know if having this running on my web server which I rent from GoDaddy, is consuming their computer time, or does it somehow get loaded onto the computer of the person viewing FreshWDL, and only receive the packets with the updated values to then display on the viewer’s local computer?

If several folks are looking at the same time, are there as many instances of this code running at GoDaddy, and it’s computer is painting a new visual at very pulse, heartbeat, or refresh (whatever the correct term is now)?

Just curious as to where the horsepower is coming from, and while most of the time even I won’t be looking at the page, there may be times when I leave it up running constantly or if there is interesting weather going on several local folks may be viewing. I just don’t want to get a note from GoDaddy that I’m eating up more of their computer time than I get as part of my monthly fee.

Just curious. Thanks. Dale

This is an all JavaScript app … your webserver hosts the files containing the JavaScript (and the clientraw*.txt) files.

When the page is first loaded, the browser loads all the needed scripts from your website (and others), and after loaded, continues to supply the clientraw*.txt files as requested by the scripts.

The ‘heavy lifting’ CPU load is on the browser’s system, not on your webserver. The webserver will continue to respond to the clientraw*.txt file requests, but they have a negligible load on the webserver since they are plain-text files with no additional processing needed on the webserver (other than Apache offering the files to an http request).

Hope this helps…

Great program - thanks Yerren! =D>

Any chance of getting “Snow Depth” and “Snowfall” ? Ya I know along with the other 10,000 requests you have. Hee Hee

Item 479, 480, 481 and 697 in the clientrawextra.txt file

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Thank you for the kind words!

The issues you have brought up should mostly have been cleared up the next update which, if all goes according to plan, should be out sometime in the next few days. :slight_smile:

Thank you, and glad to see you got the unit issue sorted out! (Thanks Niko and Gus :))

You’re not the first person to request snow data, actually. It’ll come, eventually:wink:

I think SaratogaWX explained it well, but just to summarise, the ‘horsepower’ comes from the user’s computer. The load on GoDaddy is very minimal! :slight_smile:

Ken,
Thanks for the detailed reply how these function in the world of servers and programs like javasript.
Obviously from your templates you have an in-depth understanding.

What you say as you lead me through the process makes sense. However I know from the past that assuming something works in a certain way can be far from the truth, so I appreciate the clarification.

Similarly there are other details that in the early stages of internet access may have made a difference, like packet size with header info and all, so even requesting 5 bytes of info caused a 1 kbyte packet to go out.

This sounds very efficient. And it makes me realize how rapidly things move on. I used to scour my expensive little IBM PC hard drive for errant files that took up room. Now when I run an antivirus scan I see that hundreds of thousands of files are scanned, making it impossible for us old farts to know what they are doing, and if they are vital.

I used to be in deep as possible with knowing all the tools, suites of programming tools and all, but that was another life and decades ago, so I leave it to you guys to bring us these marvelous tools to display weather (thanks to you, Yerren, Brian and Jachym) who bring me the ones I use the most.

Again, thanks, and I await the next generations as they come by.

One item I know see is the rain appears to be rounding up. In WDL or weather display I have .37 inches of rain in JavaWDL it is readin .4 inches. I am not sure but it might be rounding up. I am using inches .
and the latest weatherdisplay with windows 7

Windgust (K1DED)

Quote from: windgust on [b]Today[/b] at 07:16:53 AM

One item I know see is the rain appears to be rounding up. In WDL or weather display I have .37 inches of rain in JavaWDL it is readin .4 inches. I am not sure but it might be rounding up. I am using inches .
and the latest weatherdisplay with windows 7

Windgust (K1DED)

It’s rounding because because the rain data element is set for only one decimal point. Yerren is already aware of the issue so it’s on his “TO DO” list of items.

Hey guys, just rolled out an update (version 1.1.3) that fixes and adds a few things people have requested. :slight_smile:

The HTML file had a slight change, and as far as I am aware you will need to adjust it to ensure the update takes effect. I have sent to Brian to update, or you can find it here: https://github.com/Yerren/FreshWDL/blob/master/FreshWDLmaster.html Alternatively, and probably the easier thing to do, you can just go into your HTML file and remove the five instances of: ?v=1.0.1, (which are at the end of some script urls), and the seven instances of “repo” with “cdn” (which are in the middle of some script urls). This is all that has been changed.

The config file has only got another optional field now (see below), so unless you have downloaded any of the other script files and are hosting them locally, you shouldn’t need to do anything else for the update to take effect.

The changelog can be found here: https://github.com/Yerren/FreshWDL/blob/master/Changelog.md

The main thing is that most gauges can be hidden now, using the config file. A sample config file can be found here: https://github.com/Yerren/FreshWDL/blob/master/config.js where the UV and solar gauges have been disabled (as this is what most people needed).
The syntax for doing this can be a bit confusing, so if anyone wants help disabling any other gauges, just let me know!