Windows 10 will confound a person!!!

You might! Reviews are mixed to say the least. I’m sending mine back. I’ve bought one of these;

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc5cpyh.html

I suspect I bought a faulty Gigabyte. Too many user reviews report crashes/freezes too once it was up and running. I’ve decided to go with windows 10 pro too, though have windows 7 on standby.

Looked at both those. Trying a lower speck NUC next . It’s solely going to be used for Weather Display, leaving it running 24/7.

I’ll give it a go. . . As I understand it you can set the Brix to boot in legacy BIOS mode (Win 7), which allows Win 10 to instal on a MBR format disk; or in UEFI mode (Win 8.x), which means a GPT format disk. I have a ticket in to Gigabyte customer service to check this. Microsoft recommend formatting the disk first.

The latest flash BIOS upgrade is supposed to cure hang-up issues in Win 10.

And the Brix doesn’t seem to support Win 10 32-bit. . .

I opted for win 8 mode in bios thinking that would be required for win 10 but also read later that it changes mode. I did change my disk to GPT mode and the windows 10 installer still failed. Disk was formatted too.

Mine came with latest bios (8 I think). I have read of some that still get issues with windows both 7 and 10 hanging or crashing. I’d get yours checked out now so that you can return it if not up to job.

I downloaded win 10 from MS and presumed windows 10 is 64 bit only? Never seem to have been given a choice? Our desktop computer failed to boot some time back and only recently got round to doing anything. When I got it booted the free upgrade to win 10 had gone and was back to windows 7?? How this happened I have no idea. Long story short I bought win 10 pro from a legit firm (mods :slight_smile: ) for

I put 16GB in both of them to be on the safe side. Probably overkill for the media streamer but glad I did it for WD. Until the memory leak issue with WD for Linux gets fixed, I am running very close to 8GB for a few hours per day.

:thumbright:

Three-year warranty. . .

Wasn’t very keen on some of the user reviews so took the opportunity to return it, not to mention it drove me to distraction at the weekend. First turn on it ignored the delete key and went straight to a ‘Windows 7 failed to load last time, either boot normally or run repair utility’. I got the feeling I wasn’t the first person to use it.

The Intel NUC arrived today. Build quality feels better, well less plastic. Not got any further with it as yet. Probably be later in the week now.

Maybe not the place but, just for completeness, here’s the SOP for BRIX from Gigabyte:

"If you want to install Windows 10 in your system, please follow the steps as below:

1. Make sure you have installed all the device such as memory, storage and power in the product.
  2. Turn on the system and press [Del] to BIOS setup and change the [OS Selection] as [Windows 8.x]. Save the settings.
  3. Connect the Windows 10 bootable device and press [F12] when system boot up again. Please choose the bootable device.
  4. Follow the installation steps to complete the procedure."

I had trouble getting into BIOS until I realised that my standard keyboard was put into Num Lock when the BRIX powered up so presumably the [Del] key was sending [decimal Point] :oops: . Went straight in to BIOS with the [Delete] key and saved 8.x setting. Rebooted, hit [F12] and chose “USB key from UEFI shell” and did Custom instal to make sure the unformatted SSD was recognised. All worked OK.

Hey Microsoft, Stop Installing Apps On My PC Without Asking - How-To Geek article today.

So I got round to installing win 10 x64 pro on to an Intel NUC5CPYH with 8Gb of ram and a 128Gb SSD. Entry into bios was fine as is bios setup. Win10 installed without a hitch, then drivers etc. My Davis VP2 has a serial data logger so as the NUC doesn’t have a serial port bought a TrendNET TU-S9 usb to serial converter. Moved weather display folder to new computer following the FAQ’s. Connected data logger via the trendnet converter and fired up WD. Changed the com port and away it went.

So that part was good. Struggling to get windows to auto login in. I’m the only user on the computer. I used the Netplwiz method and doesn’t seem to be logging in without me inputting my pin.

I think I have stopped windows 10 ‘nodding off’ and need to control windows update as yet. Other than that it seems to be going well. Got to say I prefer the Intel NUC to the Gigabyte Brix. I did as per Gigabytes instructions (bitsostring) with the BRIX and after crashing the windows install twice was unable to get any further, being unable to get into bios or anything else. Sent it back to whence it came from and they said there was nothing wrong with it and were able to boot it into windows. No one has told me how they managed it yet so not convinced on that one.

Been looking further into that while trying to set up Remote Desktop to the BRIX: Remote Desktop users have to have a password, and I thought that would mean no auto login. But here it tells you how. . . basically, use the netplwiz method but make sure you go to the final screen.

Not sure how this works with a PIN, though. . .

That didn’t seem to work. So, the only way I have found to automatically login to Win 10 at startup is to have no password at all. . .

Is there a difference if you are using a local account or a microsoft account?

Must admit I haven’t tried a Microsoft account: that’s one of the things I only use if I have to! (Like Edge and Google and YouTube and . . .)

I would avoid it too…

Seems to be a common problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-do-i-disable-login-password-netplwiz-not/fe364f1a-31f9-4a56-a318-5000425aab98

There’s a suggestion on the second page from imjustanotheruser that changing the password may fix it.

And the suggestion was made in a relatively restrained manner for that forum: he only said “**** Microsoft” twice. . .

I got nowhere fast trying to get my computer to auto login. Used to do it with Windows 7 weather station pc. Anyway long story short was I’d linked the win 10 install to my MS account. What I needed to do was go back to a local account which was an easy enough fix then netplwiz worked. I unchecked the box saying users must login in and on next dialogue inputted my user name and password and rebooted to check. Sure enough it logged in. From a security point of view this computer is only used for Weather Display and anything else is done on another machine. Windows 7 was quite adequate for the task with much less hassle I think. Anyway, I bought a win 10 pro license for

I’ll have to try it again! Would be great if it worked because I’d be able to use Remote Desktop. . .

Edit: It worked this time! (Maybe imjustanotheruser was right. . .)