Windows 10 will confound a person!!!

Step one. Set up windows power management properly.

Step two. Let windows do whatever it wants and change those settings due to an update or who knows what.

Step three. Windows sleeps or hibernates or something and your log file gets corrupted. Very time consuming to fix.

the problem is windows is now set to run on a smart device/tablet more and more, which is normally running on batteries

This is the reason I don’t think Windows 10 is fit for purpose any longer as a reliable platform running 24/7 logging weather data. The barrage of updates during December including the ‘Fall Creators Update’ contained a whole lot of bloatware that I don’t want or need.

The PC running WD needs to run as an appliance, 24/7 with minimal downtime or other messing around. If you look at what commercial developers use for situations like that, invariably it’s Linux; preferably one of the versions with ‘Long Term Support’. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has guaranteed support until 2021 and boots up in a fraction of the time that Windows takes. Apart from an issue with memory leakage, WD for Linux is doing the job very nicely, albeit with a fair few functions inoperative that I’ve been used to in the Windows version. It makes more sense for me to concentrate effort on my website and leave WD running as a background service, doing its job with minimal intervention.

Agree 100%, especially since MS blocked most of the tricks that could improve it for our purposes :slight_smile:

I don’t plan to develop a web page yet. I like using WD for all of the reporting and comparisons. Like many who are into this hobby, I like statistics. I was wondering about the Linux version today. I’ve used Ubuntu before, and it’s pretty easy. Though most people wouldn’t be interested in WD if it were Linux only. I worry about the sustainability when a person has to jump through so many hoops just to get things to behave a little.

I just fixed (hopefully) a bit of a memory leak in the latest (ubuntu 64) version of WD Linux version

That’s why I stick to server based versions. Theres no reason for my primary server to go to sleep… Especially once i give it 10gb network ability. Nothing about my setup is lower power, home use, low use, or “mobile environment”…

Dang it. Windows kept wanting to set power management back to “power saver” mode. I put it back on “maximum performance” and double checked the settings therein. Walk away from the machine for some TV time and within 10 minutes the dang thing is sleeping. I decide to leave it on the power saving mode, but I go in and change all of the settings to what you would want for keeping the machine alive. It has been going nonstop now for a little more than 48 hours. Fingers crossed.

I have had no problems with Win10 Pro. All my settings have stayed. A couple of things though…with all the advancements…

Installing Win10 on a desktop…power settings still have battery mode included. Why doesn’t it know it is a desktop or ask that at the time of installation ? Very stupid…

When we install software we still have to press NEXT NEXT NEXT and answer prompts from the 90’s. Software installs including MS still look like they are from MS 3.1 days.

Why is there still NTFS ? SQL based file management is more efficient.

I guess no matter how advanced a system they tell us it is…it still hasn’t advanced very far.

^ Old joke updated.

Subject: Source Code To Windows 10 (programmer humor)

Try this in UNIX:

echo Mhbqnrnes Stbjr | tr a-y b-z

/*  Source Code to Windows 10   */

#include "win31.h"
      #include "win95.h"
      #include "win98.h"
      #include "workst~1.h"
      #include "evenmore.h"
      #include "oldstuff.h"
      #include "billrulz.h"
      #include "monopoly.h"
      #define INSTALL = HARD

char make_prog_look_big[1600000];
      void main()
      {
          while(!CRASHED)
          {
              display_copyright_message();
              display_bill_rules_message();
              do_nothing_loop();
              if (first_time_installation)
              {
                  make_50_megabyte_swapfile();
                  do_nothing_loop();
                  totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
                  search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();
                  make_futile_attempt_to_damage_Linux();
                  disable_Netscape();
                  disable_RealPlayer();
                  disable_Lotus_Products();
                  hang_system();
              }

write_something(anything);
              do_nothing_loop();
              do_some_stuff();

if (still_not_crashed)
              {
                  do_nothing_loop();
                  basically_run_windows_3.1();
                  do_nothing_loop();
                  do_nothing_loop();
              }
          }

if (detect_cache())
              disable_cache();

if (fast_cpu())
          {
               set_wait_states(lots);
               set_mouse(speed, very_slow);
               set_mouse(action, jumpy);
               set_mouse(reaction, sometimes);
          }

/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.1");    */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11");   */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows 95");     */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows NT 3.0"); */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows 98");     */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows XP"); */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows Vista"); */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows 7"); */
          /* printf("Welcome to Windows 8"); */
          printf("Welcome to Windows 10")
          if (system_ok())
              crash(to_dos_prompt)
          else
              system_memory = open("a:\swp0001.swp", O_CREATE);

while(something)
          {
              sleep(5);
              get_user_input();
              sleep(5);
              act_on_user_input();
              sleep(5);
          }
          create_general_protection_fault();
      }

that is gold :lol:

While I was reading this IE11 (running in Win 10) stopped working, reported to Microsoft and restarted.

I guess they have your number. . .

:lol:

I am not a programmer but have been a windows user since 3.1 and you had me laughing out loud.

On another note, Garth, you are using pro and I am not. This could be why the difference in our experiences.

Also, has anyone ever heard of “Intel Ready Mode Technology”? I think it’s something to do with hibernation in order to help preserve battery life, while allowing the system to come to life quickly when called upon. I found that IRMT was running some sort of script at the same time that the machine would “sleep” or “hibernate”. I went into the task manager and shut down the IRMT process and have had zero issues in the last 10 days.

I’ve been using Windows 10 Pro with WD since the preview releases, and I’ve never had any issues with it powering down or hibernating. I have to think these issues are configuration mistakes by users rather than deficiencies in Windows 10. I manage hundreds of systems and none of them have exhibited the issues that are being discussed here. And yes, they are all 100% current on updates.

I have set up a lot of friends with Win10 Pro with no problems except one…the user menu is too much of a shock going from WinXP or Win7. So I always install Classic Start from www.ninite.com . The nice thing about it is that the user can click at the top of the menu and it will switch to the tiles. Gives them the ability to play around with it and get comfortable.

How do you manage auto updates on a WD PC?

I use Group Policy to set active hours and then I turn off “auto-restart for updates during active hours” and “no auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations.”

This gives me total control over when I reboot.

That is the only machine I own that is still running Win7. I have updates to set to download only. When Win10 came out I heard alot of issues with VVPro and the Virtual Serial port app. Since it is a dedicated weather computer I am not worried about it at this time.

Sounds good, but is that option available to users of the Home version?