"Error with TCP/IP Socket connection". A new users foible

Where do I start with this one? I’ve been noticing that my data acquisition has been stopping periodically. Mainly I see it when checking WU while away from home. I can sit in front of the computer and mess around with settings all day and have no problems. When I let the machine sit by on its own it will start to act up once in a while. I’ve found the machine with WD running and current time displayed on the main page but the data is not updating. If I restart the software then all is working normally.

This last time I finished tweaking some settings and then left the machine sit. About an hour later WU was updating sporadically. I decide to go have a look about 1/2 hour after that and that’s when I find the message that I put in the subject line spelled out over and over in the Debug log. I just watched it as it kept repeating the error. Finally, it picked up the local IP of the weatherlinkIP for a couple of cycles, performed “doftpdown” for the NOAA weather report I think, kicked back into error a few times and then back to picking up the local IP again. Reliable data from then till now.

I have power management set up as lined out in this forum, ie. never sleep, never hibernate, never turn off hard drive, never turn off display, don’t suspend USB (although I don’t use USB for this setup), and one more that I found, power management for the NIC to not let the computer turn off this device. Hmmm. What else should I try?

Aeron

Socket connection was dropping out more regularly while I was working with the software. Even after a restart it would drop out within a few minutes at times. I set the baud rate to 9600. I turned off rapid fire for WU. I set WD to update the time every 6 hours. I’m not sure which time is being updated. I hope it is updating the console time to keep it in sync with the computer. The thing ran all night real good. This morning it stopped getting data at exactly the time my phone shared a message with windows 10 letting me know that it was time to leave, with traffic it should take 46 minutes to get to work. I thought to myself, “Couldn’t be a coincidence.” I disassociated the phone from the computer after that.

When I get home I plan to open a new account on the computer and run WD from within that account. I’ll remove the MSN account and live without all of the Windows 10 goo gaas. Here’s to hope.

Aeron

Try as a test not having the ip data logger updating weatherlink web page

I can’t seem to figure out how to do that.

You view you up data logger IP address in web page
To get to the setup

I typed the local IP into a browser on my local network and nothing came up. Can’t reach that page. Is that what you meant for me to do?

Yes,along those lines
You could try googling how to get to the setup
Screen of a Davis IP data logger

Well I’ve been looking around the Googles and I can’t seem to locate any info about getting to the setup menu for weatherlinkIP. Not the end of the world. I think I have it licked. Had some more pressing problems yesterday. I had to restart all of my weather monitoring on a new machine.

When starting this hobby in earnest last month I discovered that my computer was in need of an upgrade in a bad way. In the past I have always built my own. I decided to go the easy route this time and purchased a brand new Dell. Somehow it got torched and refused to boot after some software tweaks. Thankfully, got a refund and went out for another new machine. Lost a couple weeks of data though.

Now everything is up and running again and my “problem” persisted. The account on the machine is local only this time. I have the WD software restarting every 2 hours and the time is set to synchronize every day. So far I have not had any data interruptions since these measures were instituted.

I plan to keep looking for a way to get to the weatherlinkIP setup. I find that the weatherlink 2.0 site is not important for me to keep up. If I can get the WLIP to stop reporting there, then may-haps reliability of data acquisition will improve locally.

Aeron

Well it worked this time. I just typed the local IP into a web browser and voila, I’m in the web based setup menu for the weatherlinkIP data logger. I did find some more detailed info on the web about this subject, but it was not really very helpful. It seams the process that was used last time was the same as today, with unsatisfactory results.

What I did differently this time:

1. Close down Weather Display and Weatherlink software first.
  2. Type the IP address of the data logger into Internet Explorer instead of Edge.

So, hunky dory.

I think I need to slow down a little and really try to get to know the software better. It can do so much, and I understand little about how to get it working. Last night I tried getting WDLive going so I could see weather data on the go. No luck. In the meantime, I got signed up for some cloud service that I don’t understand. I have installed, and deleted, several little programs that were supposed to get things going too.

All the while, I haven’t even gotten WD to run reliably for more than about 24 hours in a row. That will be my focus from here on out. Once it goes good for a while, or if it should stop and I can reliably discern a reasonable explanation for it, I’ll move ahead. While frustrating at times, this is fun, and I’m learning a lot.

Thanks for all your help,
Aeron

Last night I tried getting WDLive going so I could see weather data on the go. No luck.
really need to know a lot more information to be able to even to know where to start in trying to offer help

Oh thanks. I will probably give WDLive another try some time down the road. When I do, I’ll take you up on your offer. And, when I do, I’ll make sure to keep good tabs on all the settings and conditions about my attempt.

Keep up the good work,
Aeron

yes, really need to know what steps you did take and what you actually did and what exactly was not working, etc

Alright. Well, just an FYI in case some other schmuck comes along with the same problem - the socket appears to be keeping it’s connection. There’s a setting somewhere that allows WD to set the time on the console. I think it’s in the “control panel” tab under the data logger button. You can have it set the time at several times throughout the day. From my understanding, if the time between the computer and the console are different, some problems can crop up. Was this happening with me? I really don’t know, but I tried setting a schedule to keep things in time. That didn’t solve the problem.

Here’s what I’ve done since then. In the data logger are you can get the time from the console to check if it’s the same as your computer. Checked it. It looked good. Next, while your here, you can set the time on the console right then and there. I readied WD by making the “set to” time two minutes ahead of actual time. As that very minute ticked over, or one second after, I hit the “set time now” button. I figured that would get the timer going in the console close to the timer on the computer. Since then, I haven’t actually enabled WD to set the time on the console with any kind of schedule. That has been working for 3 or 4 days. Because that is going well, I have also done as suggested in an earlier post, and I have disabled reporting to weatherlink.com in the weatherlinkIP web interface.

The plan moving forward. Let it run. If it continues to work well, then I’m done. I don’t need to report to weatherlink.com. It doesn’t work most of the time anyway. If you want to get weatherlink to update, then you have to shut down WD for a while and wait until the site decides to get its data. WD and weatherlink.com do not work simultaneously, even if you have WD release the IP every so often. If it starts acting up again, then I’ll implement the time setting scheme again to see if that makes any improvement.

Bye the way, there is another place to set the time in the program, but it only allows the time to be set once per day at 6:06. I think this one is to set the time on your computer from an internet source, which I don’t think is necessary anymore. So don’t use that one. I have an unfounded confidence that the problem is in the past. I’ll let you know if anything helpful comes up.

Thanks,
Aeron

I think just setting to not have the ip data logger update to weatherlink.com was the key
(if you do have that enabled then you need to make sure you have set in WD to disconnect the ip data logger, but that only will work reliably if the time on the console matches the pc time)