basic requirements for an IP web cam?

I am interested in setting up a webcam, and due to distance constraints, it needs to be an IP camera.

I have tried connecting the Web Cam Capture program to my D-Link DCS5222L camera as an experiment, but it won’t connect. Should it ?

What are the basic requirements for a web cam to work with WD? (forgetting image quality, weatherproofing and all that stuff - just the basic interfacing that makes it connect)

I have added more info on how the URL should look like for an IP cam this this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/wdwebcamcapture.zip

which has a new option to use a cron program you could try to get the image

thanks - I got the D-Link connected to wdwebcamcapture - now to work out what I want to do, and how to do it :smiley:

so you got it working with that new version?
great
did you use the separate cron method, or?

I just used the wdwebcamcapture program. I’m not sure what the pros and cons are between the 2 methods (and also unsure how I’m going to integrate the pictures with my website yet)

just to be clear, you used the new version from the link above?

yes, I did

and the picture is updating OK?

yep, seems to be doing fine (although my test camera just looks at cars in the garage - so not a lot of action ! :D)

Its just that someone else reported it would not update
But good it is for you

I was using WDwebcamcapture (latest version) for several hours today to take snapshots from my Ubiquiti camera and save them to a file. It worked flawlessly for the simple task I was doing.

WDwebcamcapture is a very capable program which does far more than I need, so have now replaced it with a Cron task on my Linux box.