Rain Chart error

As a hobby farmer who constantly looks at rainfall data, that particular function of WD is essential to me. Since 2008 I’ve been collecting rainfall data and WD for Windows has been faithfully recording it (see the first screenshot below).

During the past few weeks I’ve been setting up WD for Linux in preparation for using it to replace WD for Windows. According to info on another thread, I copied the section from WDISPLAY.INI entitled [Rain chart] from my Windows PC to my Linux PC. This was done with both programs shut down as per instructions posted. Then restarted WD for Linux and expected to see a familiar rain chart. Instead I saw a monthly bar graph which refuses to go above 50mm regardless of the data (see the second screenshot, taken with just the last 4 months data entered, for debugging purposes).

The line graph seems OK, without looking too closely at it. When entering the Rain Chart function, I noticed an error message appeared in the terminal window (see third screenshot). This may be a clue to what is going on, so I’ve posted it just in case.

Here’s hoping this won’t be too difficult to fix but I know Christmas is just around the corner so it might take a while. Thanks Brian :slight_smile:

I suspect that the column bars have a fixed max of 50
that is easy to fix

did you copy the whole rain chart section?

Yes I did that initially but it was too confusing to see what was going on, so I tried again with just 4 months data, entered by hand.

I’ll try again with the complete chart when you’ve fixed the limit of 50mm.

try a new update

Thanks Brian. It’s better, but there’s still some way to go.

As you can see in the correct rain chart (top screen shot below), March 2017 rainfall was 266mm.

On the bottom screen shot you can see that the bar graph now cuts off at 100mm instead of 50mm previously and this is being reflected in the blue line on the rain chart which shows the figures for the current year. In a previous year, we had rainfall in excess of 450mm per month, so the bar graph needs to auto-scale to at least 500mm.

I have the full rain chart loaded now, going back to 2008 and this behaviour where the bar graph cuts off at 100mm, together with the blue line on the rain chart being limited to 100mm, is consistent through all the years. The red line for last year, along with the green line for average are both working correctly though.

Finally, the figures for the last 7 days rainfall are still not showing up on the left hand side.

if you could email me the rain chart section from your ini file
the last 7 days are also from the ini file, did you copy those across?

Done.

Yes, I found them here: [Daily rain for each week day]
and copied them across. Have emailed those to you as well. Thanks Brian.

try another update, ready now

Much, much better, many thanks Brian. There are just a couple of things that are still not ideal and would be nice if they could be fixed (see screenshot below):

1. There are still no readings showing up on the left hand side against each week day. The [Daily rain for each week day] section is present in WDISPLAY.INI as emailed earlier.

2. The font used for the monthly rain totals is too big and the numbers run into each other. If it’s easier, just round the totals to the nearest whole number and ditch the 1/10th of mm. Or, make the font smaller so there is a small space between each monthly total.

I had a try at changing the font used for the headings via the menu option. It didn’t do anything except create a couple of extra sections at the end of WDISPLAY.INI which effectively locked me out of the Rain Chart with a segmentation fault, every time I tried to go back in there. This was perplexing for a while, but after seeing the offending sections at the end of the INI file, I deleted them and got back in OK. It would be better if the menus in this screen were completely disabled rather than having the potential to break the system as they do at present.

I also tried changing the screen size back to default to see if that made any difference to the heading size used for monthly rain totals but alas no :frowning:

We are 90% of the way towards making this screen fully functional and I’m happy to continue testing if you want to get it working 100%.

Thanks again for your efforts Brian.

I see data for the last 7 days with the settings you sent me
do you see any error under view, program event log?

Nothing at all, the window is completely clear.

i you could email me your WDISPLAY.INI settings file I will test/check here

Apologies Brian, this was my mistake. When I checked WDISPLAY.INI before emailing it to you, I noticed that WD had created a new [Daily rain …] section at the bottom of the file, ignoring the one I had copied across from Windows. That was because I had 2 square brackets at the start of the section header … Duh #-o

Fixed that and the daily readings are there now.

There is still the matter of font size for the monthly rain totals if you could have a look at that.

have done that now in a new update

Looks great, thank you =D>