Duplicated/missing data

I am using WD Ver. 10.37S Build 57.

On Tuesday 12/6 I booted my PC at about 1:30 PM MST after it had been off since about 10:30PM the evening before. I first downloaded stored data from the Davis Vantage VUE station as I always do. I then opened WD and so far as I noticed at the time it loaded normally. I then went on to do other things. After an hour and a few minutes I went back to check WD, and clicking the icon brought up two screens, which happens occasionally if I double click by accident when opening. One of the screens had a normal display – data and graph – while the other was missing the daily data from the left panel, AND it had a repeated segment on the graph, from the time I’d opened WD until current. I clicked on X to close that box, but instead of closing just that screen it closed both. I rebooted WD and it opened as usual BUT had the 1:30 or so of repeated data. I closed it, let it sit for an hour, and opened it again, still had the repeated data but had dropped data from the time I had it shut down. I had other things that had to be done, nothing of significance was missing so I left it until today, shutting down the system at about 11:30 PM. On booting this morning, the repeated section was still there but all data from a little after 1:00 AM until the time I rebooted was missing.

The repeated section does not show up as repeated in the Davis WeatherLink log, while all the data missing from the WD graph, as well as from the WD log file, appears normally in the Davis file.

Any ideas as to what happened here? It’s no big deal this time, missed nothing but very benign weather, but would like to avoid such mishaps in the future.

sounds like maybe you had 2 WD instances runing?
maybe check your short cuts…you might be running the older weatherd.exe?

Thanks, Brian. I did have two WDs running when the data duplicated. That’s what I meant by “double clicked”, I have Windows set for single-click and some programs will load two (or more) copies if I click more than once accidentally. This was not the case when it dropped data overnight (only one was running after I discovered and closed the duplicate hours earlier).

I can’t find any indication there’s more than one version of WD on the machine.

It missed all data again from the time I shut down last night until restarted early this afternoon, roughly 14 hours. The data is all present and normal in the Davis/Vantage Vue logfile, missing from the WD logfile. These are the first problems I’ve had with 10.37S Bld 57 since I installed it in September.

EDIT: WD dropped the data from shutdown last night until reboot this morning (12/8) as well. Odd thing that might help is that I paid close attention during the WD startup data download and it showed the time increments on the initial scan (bottom bar in the startup box) but then blew straight to the current time instead of rescanning for the upper bar. As for the last three days the data is present and normal in the Davis WL log but missing from the WD datalog.

Bruce

More to my last edit: I left the machine running all night Friday into yesterday and WD functioned normally, that is continuously, with all data. I turned it off overnight and this morning once again all data recorded by Davis datalogger and present in WeatherLink datalog file is missing from WD. I should note that since first reporting this problem the machine has been off and/or WD turned off and during those periods Davis continued recording and logging properly but WD lost the data during the periods the machine, WD, or both were off.

Bruce

do you have the switch on under control panel, data logger?
so that when WD starts up after not running it gets the missing data from the data logger

Yes, it’s on. Everything there looks ok, times ok, clear archive not checked.

Everything else is running normally, so far as I can tell, and has been since I updated to Build 57.

EDIT: To be clear, I’m still losing data when WD is off. When I wrote that the switch is on, I meant it’s been on since I installed Build 57. I did have the “Clear data on finish” box checked, unchecked it and still lost the data from when WD was off.

Brian, in my attempt to clarify my answer to your question I may have confused the issue even more. You asked “do you have the switch on under control panel, data logger?” I immediately checked this switch and it was on, and had been since updating in September.

Yesterday morning, before I left for a few hours, I unchecked the “Clear data when finished” box on the main screen during the startup, then shut down WD and the computer using “Save and exit” command, as usual. When I restarted yesterday afternoon, data for the period it was down was missing.

I left the “Clear data when finished” box unchecked when I again shut down last night. This morning on startup the overnight data was present normally for the first time since December 7th. Windows 10 was updated – again – last night, at least the second time since this problem started and maybe the third this month. Maybe this has been a Windows problem all along, and now I see the machine telling me there’s yet another update awaiting a restart. I guess we’ll see what happens this time.

Bruce