1-wire reader & laser sensor

Brian

Here’s the last test. I did hit the “get reading” button several times. I’m heading to bed. Hope you had a good day with the family!

Cheers

MikeyM

that is not working
but I cam compile the LRTimelog
and so make that program run, trigger a reading, and exit (ie get cronlazersnow to run that program at set intervals)

V1.9 is worked for me overnight after opening LRTimelog and starting it to record snow depths every 6 minutes (360 seconds)

I’m looking forward to the next steps as to how to update WD and eventually upload the V1.9 data to my website.

Thank you so much.

Brian,

Mike asked me to tell you that he had to go shopping this morning. He’ll be back to continue testing around 2:30 p.m. our time (EST) or 8:30 a.m. your time.

Thanks for your continuing work and progress! Much appreciated!

Jeff

@schwab
re getting WD to use the snow data
use the latest .zip update
and in setup, advanced/misc, snow section, tick enable for the lazer snow and tick to use the cronlazer snow
and set your needed offset too (you can do that in the cron lazer snow)
and then make sure WD is getting live data from your weather station (or at least set to stationless mode)
and then try adding some fake snow to test?

I have re compile the LRTimelog.exe
(and renamed it as LRTimelogtest.exe)
download
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/lrtest.zip

run that (double click) and see if it triggers a reading in a runing cronlazersnow.exe

the idea is that I get cronlazersnow to run this program and a user selectable interval

Brian

The LRTimeLogtest.exe does trigger a reading, but if cronlazersnow is running before LRTimelog that it produces an erroneous reading in cronlazersnow. Also the interval you have have set in LRTimeLogtest is 30 sec and the reading has to be 60 sec or greater otherwise LRTimelog quits. So it works but only takes 1 reading which is an erroneous depth.
MikeyM

yeah I hard coded the reading interval
but in the code it does say 30 seconds or longer
what I have done in the code to trigger one reading is added to sleep 10 seconds after turning on the lazer before requesting a reading
I see that that LTtimelog does then look to get a reading back ,…then after that sets the lazer back to sleep and then it should exit…yes?
does the reading it get back look ok? (maybe I can make it report to the terminal instead of to a log)

Brian

LRTimelogtest takes 1 reading an then exits, but because cronlazersnow is started before LRTimelogtest runs it produces an erroneous reading. This has always happened even with the old system using the Dallas 1-wire reader. If we start the Dallas 1-wire reader before we start LRTimelog we would get an erroneous reading - hope this makes sense.

I’m not sure if it would be possible for the LRTimelogtest program to start cronlazersnow after it’s taken it’s first reading.

Ok on the 30 sec. If I try to execute LRTimelog with a time less than 60 secs it gives me an error message that it has to be 60 sec or greater, but I didn’t look at the source code.

how are you executing it with a time less than 60 seconds? (just curious)

so if you run this LRtimelogtest
and then run cronlazersnow
what happens?

It indicates that LRTimelogtest is running, but it doesn’t take any readings. This is a screenshot after LRTimelogtest was running for 5 minutes

My normal command for LRTimelog is LRTimelog (secs) ie 3600 for 1 hour. I run that from the cmd prompt

humm
something not write with my code then…i.e its not triggering a reading…as the test program should exit after it gets a reading
I disabled the run time from running from command prompt and set that as 30 seconds…but even that is not used in the code
what should be happening is it should be turning on the lazer then 10 seconds later setting to take a reading and then waiting for a reading…and once a reading comes back, exit
in theory

try a new update

i have added more debug code

Here’s what I’m seeing. I’m a little confused as the .zip included both LRTimelog.exe and LRTimelogtest.exe and this is the results from LRTimelog.exe

So it’s going through the motions ok
As per the debug output…but no reading coming back
What I need to do I guess is go back to the original code and make sure that works first,yes?

I guess so. Sorry you’re having to put so much time in on this. Maybe we could just look at using the cronlazersnow.exe to replace the input from LRTimelog and use it the way we have in the past with LRTimelog inputting to the 1-wire reader inputting to WD. At least the cronlazersnow is working for the Win 10 people. I do appreciate all the work you are doing and it would be really nice to integrate into just the cronlazersnow program but I don’t want you tying up too much of your time with this project. Again thanks

Also over the next week it looks like Breezy and will be getting some snow for real-time testing.

:smiley:

MikeyM

its no problem
as long as you are willing to test, we will make progress

try
where I have hard coded the delay as 60
(i.e so just double click the lrtimelog.exe to run it)
and see if this version gets data (the only change I made to the code from original was to set the delay in code to 60…as a test)

No problem - I’ll keep testing.