Running WD for Linux in headless configuration

Last week I registered my copy of WD for Linux and have been attempting to run it on an Intel NUC in ‘headless’ configuration (no monitor or keyboard required). The primary reason for my purchase of an Intel NUC is to run a video surveillance system using Ubiquiti software and that is running sweetly with all functions controlled via a web browser. After reading recent reports of the ‘Broadway’ extensions to WD for Linux, I was hoping I could do the same with WD as I’m doing with Ubiquiti’s NVR software.

However, the Broadway extensions won’t work for me, as per the error messages I posted last week. So I thought of an alternative way around the problem which is to use VNC to remotely control my Intel NUC via the LAN. After much effort I got VNC Server running as a service under Ubuntu, with autostart and a double click loads the viewer on my Windows PC. So far, so good, but then I attempted to install and run WD under the remote terminal session created by VNC. The screen shot attached shows what happens. The initial warning about non-root ownership appears when WD loads, and the next error messages appear when I attempt to save any changes in setup.

If I don’t try to change anything, WD appears to run OK, but I don’t have my Davis weather station connected at this point.

I suspect this may all end up being too hard, but have made this post in the hope that someone else can see a way to fix it, or else confirm that I’m wasting my time and should invest in a Monitor/Keyboard switch for my Intel NUC because WD runs fine on the default Ubuntu desktop.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

you gotta love those linux messages
‘sorry about that’

there must be a way around getting the broadway messages to work…(it works here OK)
I could create a simple test program to see if that works for you

Thanks Brian, I’m certainly willing to do some testing of whatever you think might help.

test program:
http://www.weather-display.com/Project118.tar.gz

At first I tried to download that file using a web browser, but kept getting redirected to http://www.weatherdisplay.de/

So I found a script which let me download to a USB Flash Drive after fixing an error. Now I have Project118.tar.gz in my Home folder, of size 15.1kB.
However, when trying to open it, I get the following message:

An error occurred while extracting files. Unrecognized archive format.

What have I done wrong?

I’ve also noted the frequent appearance of an error message concerning GTK since installing WD (screenshot attached).
Is this a concern?

GTK Error Message.png

i forgot to add /downloadfiles/
in the url
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/Project118.tar.gz

OK, so now I have the following files:

libfmux.so 3.8MB - shared library which I presume needs to be copied somewhere?
Project118 34.4MB executable

What to do with them?

you simply run Project118 in that directory where you have extracted it (and where the libmx.so file is)
like you would be running ./weatherdisplay with the broadway settings

OK, hopefully I’ve followed the instructions correctly.

The screenshot below shows the terminal window where I executed the Broadway commands in preparation for loading the web browser.

The last line about ‘Error reading request lines’ wasn’t there initially, but appeared later.

Here is what happened in the web browser, running on the same PC using built-in Firefox, invoked from desktop panel.

try scrolling the browser window to the left,top, etc

I realised that my thinking was wrong before when trying to invoke Project118 from the same terminal window. After executing the ‘Listening’ command, the first terminal window did nothing further, simply echoing back whatever was typed, without executing it.

Below is what I get when invoking Project118 from a second terminal window.

To me this looks OK, so I then captured a screenshot of ‘Form116’ shown in next post.

Below is the window that appears after Project118 is invoked, entitled ‘Form116’.

None of the buttons or boxes do anything, and if I invoke Firefox, pointed at http://127.0.0.1:8085 it does the same as before, just showing a blank window with the ‘Broadway 2.0’ text.

its not very clear if you are seeing the test program running in a browser window or just run normally stand alone

This is in a VNC session, but when I followed the same procedure standalone, it looked the same.

I’ll try it again now and report back. It’s much more difficult getting screenshots from the standalone setup which uses our TV as the monitor.

and yes you need to use more than 1 terminal window like you have done
(I have posted step by step detailed instructions on what to do)

Above was in a VNC session. Earlier I tried it standalone and it looked the same but that was before I realised about needing the second terminal window.

Here is what happens now:

I think you are doing something wrong
more info here
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-broadway.html

I looked at that info before but I’m none the wiser. From the screenshots I posted you can see I’m following your instructions to the letter.

Nothing else I can try?

the last screen shot shows a connection refused error
that is to do with the gtk broadway and not to do with any program execution
there is something not right with the way you have that set