cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Monitoring Indoor temp/humidity - multiple locations  (Read 304 times)

Offline shadowpuck

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 62.0.3202.94
Monitoring Indoor temp/humidity - multiple locations
« on: November 23, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »

Looking for some suggestions - I'd like to monitor indoor temp/humidity in a few locations in my house, as well as in a workshop about 50 feet from the house.  I have network (both wired and wireless) and power available in all locations where I'd like to monitor.  I can even provide PoE connections if needed.

So, looking for recommendations on sensors that I could then feed into WD.  I've had varying degrees of success with the typical 4xx mhz type products from Oregon Scientific.  So, not opposed to that type of product but I've had problems with dropouts, having to resync/reboot, etc.

I'm looking at monitoring about 4-5 spots/locations.  If I can use something which utilizes a network connection (Wifi/Wired/PoE) that would be excellent....
I've been doing some searching/research on the web, but was curious what others are doing or can recommend.

Thank you!

Offline shadowpuck

• OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 6.3
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.84
Re: Monitoring Indoor temp/humidity - multiple locations
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
despite some searching around, i haven't found much that isn't at a considerable price point and would be better suited for monitoring server rooms and other critical environments - which isn't quite what i need here.

can something like this possibly work with WD?
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws3000x5.html

it's RF based - which i was trying to avoid, but anything i can find that might work without RF wants a cloud connection.  i do not need or want to connect to the cloud - mainly because at some point those devices seem to become orphans or pricing changes to access the data, etc.  it just opens up risks i'd rather avoid.

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.84
    • Weather Display
Re: Monitoring Indoor temp/humidity - multiple locations
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09:12 PM »
I see that comes with software
so that means there must be a usb connection to the console or similar
if that software can create a text file that WD can be set to read in...