wunderground web cams discontinued

I see that wunderground are discontinuing this
but currently having your web cam image sourced via a URL works…its the FTP upload option that does not work now

http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1821811-wu-says-goodbye-to-webcams

I think it is time to stop supplying them with weather data as well. Since it is being used by IBM for profit.

what’s next to get chopped, personal weather station data?

As long as they don’t employ even basic QA on the PWS data they publish I really don’t understand what they can do with it :roll:

Spot the Netatmo :lol:

netat.png

The Neatacraps are the same around here. Horrid.

For some time I have thought that they no longer do anything for us.
They quit referring to our sites.
When wunderground started they were a great program but when the large corps took over it changed.
so I agree that it may be time to drop them.
Chuck.

Any idea where we could upload weather webcam images to? This is the reason I bought my BloomSky station since it had everything included in one package. It was great being able to go my WU station and see the image from Bloomsky.

but you can see your bloomsky image online on the bloomsky web site

You could download the webcam images via your Weather Display and upload those images to your webpage if you have one. Yeah, it sucks, but Bloomsky kind of did this to us in a sense. If they went out of business, then their cameras are useless to anyone. Most companies you hear some talk about thing, but with Bloomsky they had a lot of press getting the product out, but now only silence.

I’m stopping my parents updates to WU and mine too. It does no good anymore.

Let me weigh in on this discussion. I have had a Davis station (wmII, VP1, VP2) since 1993, so I have been supplying data here and there. My Davis supplies weather data to CWOP and WU. Now having the webcam pictures on WU was nice as I had then a link in Wim’s templates to snag the image my cameras were sending. When I would go on an extended out of town, I could shut my computer down, keep the modem working (and it is connected to a UPS if the power went out, the modem would restart and the IP cameras would kick in as would the IP Logger.)

It was explained to me that the weather data was important as it gave a clearer picture of the conditions considering the random location of our personal stations , of a more honest representation of weather patterns. For example, in Des Moines IA the airport sits about 6 miles to the South West of me and is the official weather reporting site. The NWS/NOAA site is out by Camp Dodge (the army base) which is 8 miles to the North of me. Des Moines is a city of over 350,000 people and if you look where the airport is and where the NOAA is the rest of the city isn’t represented. If it rains at the airport, it can be dry here where I am and on the East side, OMG…

So providing weather data to CWOP and WU isn’t a bad idea, they are able to forecast better models and get an idea of the conditions, such as UV, Solar and maybe soil conditions. The pictures were the icing on the cake.

It frosts my rear end to hear people saying they are going to stop the data flow to WU, Well whatever floats your boat. Sharing data is one thing and it costs us nothing. You already have an internet connection, can send data every 15 minutes or whatever time. You have to consider giving away free data, you were doing that and getting a picture bonus.

Now if you have a website, you can use WeatherDisplay to send images to your site. IF you have bloomsky you can do that as well. If you have multiple cameras and need software, well if you have a PC , Blue Iris doesn’t disappoint and if you have a mAc (like me) , you can use Security Spy. both programs cost and Security Spy is reliable, but costs up the hiney as you add cameras.

I send data, as I said before n CWOP, WU and Globe.gov. I don’t mind giving it away, it lets people know the conditions here. I use Weathercat, Weatherlink, WeatherSnoop and Weather Display (2 platforms) to gather data that I use for historical charts.

So if you are pissed then keep your data. If you care about the environoment and want to help out, then send it. again, Whatever trips your trigger or floats your boat, do what makes you happy. Iam going to continue to send data to WU.

Well said!