Possible downtime

I’ve done something very silly and deleted some important files required to keep the server running #-o #-o To make matters worse I’ve just checked my backups and the files don’t seem to have been in the backup set :oops: :oops:

Given time I’m sure I can rebuild them, but if the server crashes or the web server restarts then it won’t come back up again until I fix the problem. The forum should stay up, working on copies of the files in memory, so keep your fingers crossed that it stays that way until I rebuild things. If the worst happens the forum will be down until I finish the rebuild.

Sorry!

I’ve re-created a lot of the files and I need to restart the web server to check that I’ve got them right. However, if any are wrong I’ll need to do some debugging and my brain is too tired for that right now so I don’t want to risk that this evening. So I’ll leave the server running on the config cached in memory overnight and come back to this fresh in the morning.

If the web server happens to restart overnight (it shouldn’t do) then the forum and everything else will be off-air until I get up tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will run OK.

Thanks for all the work you do for the forum Chris.

It’s been a long battle and it’s not over yet. weather-watch.com (the main site) is back up and running now. I think it’s working properly but please let me know if you see anything odd happening.

My other domains/sub-domains (including Weather Map Live sub-domain) still need to be worked on. That will need some re-starts of the Apache web server during the evening, but they should only be for 30-45 seconds at a time unless I make a mistake.

Sorry for the extended outage today.

I think normality has been restored. In some ways it’s a bit better than it was before because the Apache web server has now been re-installed with the config files completely re-written so they’re a lot tidier than they used to be. That’s not what I intended though and I’ve lost too many hours of my weekend fixing it. As a warning to anyone who uses Linux…beware of ‘rm -rf *’

Unlike other occasions when normality has been affected, there was no sperm whale or bowl of petunias generated this time.