Talking of blogging...

I didn’t want to hijack the other thread about the Ice Age Trail with this, but the comment about blogging brought my own new blog to mind. I’ve been ‘online’ with TCP/IP technology since 1986/7 (pre-web) but had never made my own blog until this year. I’ve probably spent more time tinkering with the blog software so far than writing, but it’s set up pretty much as I want now so I’ll start expanding the content.

As for content…you might know that the last few years I’ve been travelling to China for my annual holiday. This was my third year with 3 weeks there each year. I’m not doing the normal tourist China though. It’s what I like to call ‘hardcore China’ because seeing China as the Chinese see it. Staying with Chinese family, in normal Chinese apartments, eating Chinese food and doing some Chinese tourist trips. It’s fascinating to experience that for myself.

If you’re interested in following my (slow paced writing) journey through a foreign land you can find my blog at https://chris.mcmahon.co.uk/

If anyone else has a blog that they’d like to mention, feel free to do so in the Chatter board.

been following your adventures on FB
good stuff Chris :slight_smile:

I created the blog for a couple of reasons…

1. Not everyone who wants to follow my adventures is a FB user. Yes…there really are people who don’t use FB!
  2. I was fed up with FB selectively showing people my posts and even when people did see them it was often days after I posted them.

Running my own blog puts me in control of what’s seen and when.

yes, FB is annoying like that, thinking it knows best what you should see first etc

…and here’s one :cheers:

Or even if you should see it at all.

Google+ does the same thing, even with a few posts from only about 5 people in the group new posts are often way down the page behind much older stuff :frowning: These big internet co’s just know better than we do ourselves :roll:

Make it two :headbang:

Make that three! :slight_smile:

Only a couple more and we’ve found everyone on earth who doesn’t use FB :wink:

:lol:

Make it 4.

6 - never had a FB account.

With regards to FP I do have an account and watch several things but I do not post anything about what I do. The main reason for using it is to follow some family members one of whom is in NZ :smiley: and it is easy that way with the time difference and all.

As to the annoyances there is a very good add-on for Firefox etc called ‘Fluff Busting Purity’ (strange name I know :wink: ) which allows you to override much of the annoyances including having Most Recent as the default for viewing posts.

Stuart

The addon might be useful if I used Firefox but I was more thinking of people who I would like to see my posts. There is no way for me to make sure people see my posts (assuming they are following me) or in what order or when they see them. I know I keep on seeing the same old posts from days ago over and over again when I’m sure there must be loads of posts fro other people that I haven’t seen yet. TBH if there was a better alternative than FB that a lot of my friends and acquaintances used I would dump FB without a moment’s thought.

FB Purity works with Chromium/Chrome and Firefox clones as well, I am using it on both Chromium and Waterfox at present.

Stuart