Nest Home Thermostat

does anyone have one?
I have been playing around with the REST API and have that working (for a simulator one)…i.e where I can read the indoor temperature/humidity and even set the thermostat
i.e WD could control your home thermostat (ie this is a iOT (internet of things) device), based on the outdoor temperature…and thresholds…i.e if its a cold day/night, it could crank it up a bit…so when you get home or get up in the morning its compensated for the colder than expected/threshold set outdoor temp
sort of thing

That sound s good.

teal.

I have managed to alter someones thermostat setting on the other side of the world
(just need to hear back from that person, but there was no errors)
spooky

:lol:

this is working and I have added this to the latest .zip update of WD (to read the thermostat indoor temp/hum, for use with weather stations with no indoor temp/hum)

now that google has taken over Nest, the api is going to be turned off on the 31st August :frowning:

They are apparently opening a new one though, I got an email about it yesterday. “Works with Google” instead of “Works with Nest”. Its being integrated with Google Assistant.

The email I got made no mention of a new api?

It looks as if “Works with Google” might require a bit of rewriting. . .

I doubt being able to get the temperature reading to a 3rd party outside of your google account is going to be allowed anymore?

I think you are correct. A couple of follow up articles:

Ars Technica - Nest, the company, died at Google I/O 2019

[url=Google’s Nest changes risk making the smart home a little dumber - The Verge]The Verge - GOOGLE

I possible longer term solution would be to integrate Weather Display with Home Assistant. I have Nest smoke/CO2 detectors which are pulled into Home Assistant, along with my Ecobee thermostat and all other IoT devices around the house (switches/plugs, lights, etc).

Home Assistant provides a REST API that could be used if interested to pull data from it.

Sort of the reverse of what I am doing, since I am pulling a few Weather Display tags into Home Assistant using MQTT. All this integration between Weather Display and IoT platforms is very cool!

• Mark

do you have info about that api (links)

Yes, here is the Home Assistant - REST API developers documentation. https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/external_api_rest.html

:smiley:

that looks doable
I would need access to someones setup to test?

If no one else has a Home Assistant test system that can be used, I can work on putting one together. Is the goal for WD to be able to pull things from HA or thermostats in particular? I have an Ecobee and could clone my HA and remove all the items minus Ecobee if that works.

My HA has the Konnected alarm system (uses the old door/window wired sensors to show their status), so wouldn’t want the testing to accidentally trigger the alarm in the house… :smiley:

the goal would be to able to get the temperature reading from a thermostat (e.g like the Nest thermostat)

Google may be having second thoughts

I know I am posting in a topic that has been silent for a while; however, Brian - if you’re still needing a guinea pig, I am willing to help out. I have Google Home, two NEST thermostats and a Nest Cam :slight_smile:

I dont think its going to work anymore, there is no public api anymore