Hurricane Irma

I see Naples downtown is getting over 90mph gusts currently
update, make that 94mph gusts there now (downtown!)
update now 104mph gusts!
945hpa barometer
that will do damage!
@ Chris we actually got 67mph gusts here yesterday in spring gales :wink:

check out the storm surge developing in Naples right now
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/index.shtml?type=active&region=Florida

(the water level was actually lower there as the wind was offshore but now its onshore wind more and the water is flowing back)
update: water level now 6ft above normal in Naples, thats likely to cause coast inundation

Lost power at 2pm :frowning:

yeah, I saw that
I see the anenometer at the airport at Fort Myers must have got damaged…last gust was 83mph

Jose has done a complete 360 and if it continues on the current track is headed back towards FL.

As of 0946 on 11 Sep…

its still moving NNW
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/11L/html5-rgb-short.html

Bob, JaxWeather (Jacksonville) lost power about 10:30 last night (sunday). There are 250,000 customers without power in the city so I imagine it will be a while before he’s powered up again :frowning:

there could be a lot of spoilt frozen food

Yeah, with highs expected to be in the mid/upper 80’s it won’t take long :frowning:

ouse survived as did my weather station. Just a little damage on my house but others in the neighborhood didn’t far as well. I have no power so can’t extract data from the logger. Should be interesting to see what it holds since the eye passed maybe 30 miles away at most. Will post info once I’m able to get the data. Do

Is it a VP2 logger at one minute intervals so approx 42 hours of storage? Has the console been running on batteries since so continuing to store data?

good to hear your house and weather station are OK
was there much flooding in your area?

Using a Belfre logger. I was able to extract data but some bad news. It appears there was some water egress and the ISS stopped reporting. It started again about 20 hours later but now the anemometer and wind direction is no longer reporting correctly. Only getting 1-5mph readings since it came back online. What I did see is that was a we had a 70mph gust before it stopped reporting.

I just back power today around noon. Many parts of the county still without power. Yes, we had some flooding in a few areas. 4 foot still standing is some areas. http://www.nbc-2.com/clip/13706402/buckingham-under-water-after-hurricane-irma

I’m often tempted to re-build my ISS electronics unit in a NEMA waterproof box. I just don’t trust that seal design to stand up to a real storm - fortunately we never get those :wink:

I have a correction. Just looked at WU and I see the figures are a bit different than what I seen in my WD logs, but I might have missed that since I was pretty whipped from all the travel when I looked at them. WU shows an 84 MPH wind gust at 6:14 when the anemometer stopped reporting and and 28.11 barometer at 7:00pm. Rain was 5.11" but I’m sure sure that isn’t correct. With the wind speed and the shaking of the pole mount in those winds it could be just about anything. Didn’t start saving data again until 8am the next morning.

I’ll have to take a closer look at the log files when I get a chance.

We got power back this morning, after 3.5 days. We do have a Generator and were able to keep fridge and freezer running most of the time and only had minimal spoilage.

No damage to anyone right around us but just a block or two away in both directions trees into houses and cars occurred :confused:

Those close to rivers and streams are still suffering from Flooding as well as trees down…

But everyone we know came through basically fine with little to no real damage and no injuries so that is what is important :slight_smile:

-Bob

@hankster
that is a decent gust!
@JaxWeather
great you are OK and you had a back up generator

I would have thought more in Florida would be offgrid?
also I am surprised not more power is underground (which is not full proof either though but must be better) and or not more maintenance is done on trees near power lines etc?

At peak more that 6 million were without power. A lot is underground but the damage covered basically the whole state (400 miles x 150 miles) and I would guess a lot could have been a cascading effect.

Based on the numbers I can find Florida actually has a surprisingly low number of home solar installs compared to the population. I’m not sure of the reason for that but maybe utility power is cheap. In general there are very few off-grid solar installs here except in very rural areas where no grid power is available. The common grid connected solar systems (like mine) are designed to only generate power when the grid is up.

Yeah, about the only solar you see around here is for the pools :slight_smile:

This got me to thinking and I found this great discussion on this on Reddit Reddit - Dive into anything

Just to add, much of Florida is sand and is difficult to dig without collapsing. This allows it to drain well but it is unstable. Second is how low the land is. I am about 10 miles from the Gulf and I am only 9 ft. above sea level. There is a lot of moisture in the soil and much of the area is prone to localized flooding even in heavy rainstorms.

Much of the city (and many other cities in Florida) are criss crosesed with canals which makes underground much more difficult and expensive to install. See attached map of just one part of the city.