Maximum gust not archived

There was a thunderstorm few days ago and the maximum wind gust recorded was 58 km/h. WD reported it in the main screen and so did the Vantage Pro2 console. The gust was not plot in the main graph nor in the autoscale graphs. Few days later I was checking the records - the wind gust (it was maximum this month) is not in the WD records.
Windows10, WD build 55, Davis VP2.
Any suggestion?

PS: The maximum gust is recorded in the WU archive (I have rapid fire updates for WU enabled).

the graph data should use the max gust found in that minute period
WD does check its max gust value from the loop data compared to the console gust data every 10 minutes
if that value if greater than what WD picked up via the loop data by more than 2 kts
then that value will get used for the graph data

you don’t say how much different the graph data was to the max gust

The Davis console AND the WD’s main screen data (daily high/low) was 58 km/h (57.something). The main plot data AND the WD’s archive file is 40.8 km/h.
I was at home during the storm and checking the steelgauges (which use the customclientraw) and also here the max gust was 58 km/h.
It seems the value didn’t make it to datafiles or logfiles.

then it should have been picked up in the data/logfile
not sure at this stage why it was not

Is there something I can do (restart WD, PC, ?) I think it should not be hardware related since the values were indeed shown in the main window but not in the plot. If I check the Davis console, I see (saw) max gust for August at 58 km/h…
Appreciate your further code check.
Thanks.

Reopening this one. There was a windy day few days ago and I put my attention to maximum gust. It was recorded 44.4 km/h by Davis console and also by WD (main screen). BUT: none of the graphs show the 44.4 km/h max gust but only the lower ones. I have a screenshot of WD main screen in this state. The next day I checked the maximum gust for the month and it shows only the lower ones (e.g. 42 km/h). So the max gust was not logged in the database. But how was it displayed in the WD main screen?
I’m confused.

which version/build of WD?

Sorry… It is build S58 running on Windows10 32-bit.

I am not sure why it is not working for you
WD max gust (all time record for month) for me matches my console (just checked) i.e 87kmh

I know… I have another setup at work with Vantage Vue and works perfect for long time.

We had windy days lately and was closely monitoring the behaviour and can confirm this happens on a daily basis; it means that max gusts are indeed not logged into log files.
I first checked what the main screen of the WD shows (e.g. max gust of 44.4 km/h at 02:05) and then looked into the log file for that time. The entry in the log file around that time did not contain this max gust. I’m puzzled why the main screen would show the correct max gust and the log file doesn’t?! The Davis’ console did contain that max gust (“44.4 km/h at 02:05”). That leads me thinking that the logging had (has?) issues. If my computer is slow, than also the WD’s main screen wouldn’t show the correct value, right?

I checked the WD’s error log and it didn’t say anything about a possible error. It only showed an error generating the aqi.gif and aqichart.gif (but not at 02:05 time).

I’d appreciate if you could take a look into your code (USB reading → WD main screen → WD’s log file) when time permits.

I want to set up a custom log file with 1-second update to log all wind gusts from the Davis station. I went to Setup → Log files and ticked the option to produce a customtextout.txt file and set the update period to 1 second. I cannot select the right menu where I should set how much time to keep the data (e.g. 48 hours). I cannot tick that. Why? Screenshot attached.
Did I set something wrong?

You need to first check the append option to use the file length option, otherwise you are generating a single line file.

1 sec x 48 hrs is going to be a huge file and need a lot of system resource…

Disk space is cheap :wink:
If only that could help with solving the issue…

BTW: Thank you for the hint. It is logging now. I assume it will keep the last 48 hours, right?

I would worry more about CPU and WD being too busy.

Yes, it should grow to the max number of records and then add new records and delete old records so the file length is constant.

Almost no wind today with a max gust 11.1 km/h recorded. This shows the Davis console and WD’s main screen (left side with today’s extreme values).
The WD main plot (&autoscale plot) does not show the 11.1 km/h gust. I’ve checked the custom log file and it also doesn’t have a 11.1 km/h value.

Then I opened a Weatherlink (software that comes with Davis - never used it before) and loaded the records. It shows all data and also the max gust for today 11.1 km/h (at same time as the WD’s main screen).

Question: is it possible that my laptop is too slow and misses some values? How come the correct max gust was logged and is shown in the WD’s main screen but not the plots? I only guess that the value is not written to a log file (slow pc?) but as Brian says, the WD checks for the max gust from Davis and “remembers” it? But it doesn’t write it to a log file.

Appreciate any comment.

Coming back to this again… windy day.
Screenshot shows that the max wind gust today so far was 54 km/h but the main plot (and autoscale graph) both show 50 km/h. In parallel I record also customtextout file (1-second interval). Also this file does not contain the real max gust value.

The Davis’ console reports max gust 54 km/h (which is what WD shows in the left side of the screen).

The problem is: the real max gust value is not recorded in the log file and also not stored in the records min/max of the WD files.

Based on Brian’s short explanation, I think that WD indeed looks for the max gust that the Davis’ console stores but only displays this value in the main screen (left side). This value never gets to the log files neither to the plots.
I’m not bothered with the plots but am bothered the real max gust is not stored in the record values. WUnderground does keep all values correctly (?!)

I’ve bought a new laptop since I thought my older (slower) one was the problem… no luck :frowning:
Running Win10, WD 10.37S58

I’d appreciate if Brian could take a look at the code and confirm my assumption.

Another question - what values are suggested under Control Panel → Offsets (Limits) ? I’ve had some values there (default, did not change them ever). What do they represent and how do these values affect the WD’s behaviour?

Thanks!

I see the same here on occasion…when I compare the highest recorded gust to what shows on the graph I find that sometimes the max gust speed is not shown. I never checked the logfile to confirm if it was recorded or not in the my data. I do know the graph will sometimes not show the max gust speed.

I’d really like to clarify this issue. I attached an edited screenshot where I marked the Max gust for the day value with a red circle. It reports “53.7 kmh SSE at 11:28” which is correct and correlates with the Davis Console.
The plot shows 49.9 km/h (small red circle on the upper right). And THAT value (49.9 km/h) is archived by WD. If you look at the monthly min/max values, it will say 49.9 km/h. From user point of view, this is not correct.
I understand WD looks 10 min back for the max gust speed, it displays it in the main screen but this is not archived as the max value. Station is Vantage Pro2.

Do I have some settings wrong? I have same setup (parameters) on another location with Vantage Vue and works reliably with no such issues. Gusts are higher there (up to 100 km/h).

Another question (asked already above): what do “Limits” parameters mean under Setup / Offsets, … ? How do they affect the behaviour?

Thank you.