Weather Underground’s Next Frontier: Air Quality

New tags for testtags.txt are:

//Air Quality
//==========
$purpleair2_5 = '%purpleair2_5%'; 	 //Value of 2.5 micron particle measure from purple air sensor (see in WD under setup, advanced/misc)
$purpleair1_0 = '%purpleair1_0%'; 	 //Value of 1.0 micron particle measure from purple air sensor
$purpleair10_0 = '%purpleair10_0%'; 	 //Value of 10.0 micron particle measure from purple air sensor
$purpleairaqi = '%purpleairaqi%'; 	 //AQI (air quality index) value from purple air sensor
$purpleairaqidescription = '%purpleairaqidescription%  ';	 //AQI description (e.g Good, moderate)
$purpleair60minmean10_0 = '%60minmeanpurpleair10_0%'; 	 //Last 60 minutes average PM 10.0 value
$purpleair60minmean2_5 = '%60minmeanpurpleair2_5%'; 	 //Last 60 minutes average PM 2.5 value
$purpleair24hourmean10_0 = '%24hourmeanpurpleair10_0%'; 	 //Last 24 hours average PM 10.0 value
$purpleair24hourmean2_5 = '%24hourmeanpurpleair2_5%'; 	 //Last 24 hours average PM 2.5 value
$purpleair60minmin10_0 = '%60minminpurpleair10_0%'; 	 //Min value in last 60 minutes PM 10.0 value
$purpleair24hourmin10_0 = '%24hourminpurpleair10_0%'; 	 //Min value in last 24 hours PM 10.0 value
$purpleair60minmin2_5 = '%60minminpurpleair2_5%'; 	 //Min value in last 60 minutes PM 2.5 value
$purpleair24hourmin2_5 = '%24hourminpurpleair2_5%'; 	 //Min value in last 24 hours PM 2.5 value
$purpleair60minmax10_0 = '%60minmaxpurpleair10_0%'; 	 //Max value in last 60 minutes PM 10.0 value
$purpleair24hourmax10_0 = '%24hourmaxpurpleair10_0%'; 	 //Max value in last 24 hours PM 10.0 value
$purpleair60minmax2_5 = '%60minmaxpurpleair2_5%'; 	 //Max value in last 60 minutes PM 2.5 value
$purpleair24hourmax2_5 = '%24hourmaxpurpleair2_5%'; 	 //Max value in last 24 hours PM 2.5 value

New graphic of aqichart.gif (graph) and aqi.gif (gauge) also available.

Just curious… :oops:

I know that Weather Display produces those two data files: ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’.

Since March, when I purchased my Purple Air sensor (and before the facility was added/included into Weather Display), I have been extracting the data from my sensor using a PHP script that downloads (directly from the sensor) and processes the information.

What I am wondering is if the two data files produced by Weather Display (those mentioned above) are automatically uploaded and how often - it would really be interesting if the two data files were automatically produced and automatically uploaded at the same location and at the same frequency as the ‘clientraw.txt’ near-real-time data file.

uploaded to your web site?
they aren’t
but you could
via the general ftp upload

Under Setup, Advanced, PurpleAir TAB you can tick “Upload graph and dial images to web every 10 minutes”. Works for me :slight_smile:

The testtags.php additions are processed and uploaded at 5 minutes.

yup, you can get WD to create and upload the graph and gauge
but to get it to upload the ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’ you could do that via the general ftp

Thank you Ken and Brian.

I do not care very much for the graph nor the dial images…

I have setup Weather Display to upload both ‘airquality.txt’ and ‘airquality2.txt’ using the general FTP upload - it is unfortunate that those two files cannot be part of the near-real-time uploads such as ‘clientraw.txt’ without the need of an additional separate FTP upload.

instead
its fortunate WD has the flexibility to allow you to upload them

There’s 12 pages to this thread, but I only have a couple questions.

I’m now considering buying one of these sensors. Before I do, I just want to make sure that it works fully with WD, and does it show live data, or does it update every 10 mins or so? I think I’ve also seen a graph that can be produced, but could be wrong.

Thanks

You can check a graph here ( http://www.vremetolmin.si ) somewhere in the middle (the “AQI”). I don’t have the actual sensor but am producing the data from my home-made one. It is a 1-minute update I think.

I finally got around to upgrading to the latest version of WD and wanted to set up my PurpleAir sensor but, I am having trouble finding the setup for it under “setup,advanced misc.”

I see it in the full version 10.37S63. Set up, advanced misc, purpleair has its own tab.

Ahhh, found it. With this poor old 17" monitor set at 800x600, it fell off the screen. Thanks, Niko.

Hi,

My sensor works but WD is not able to retrive its data since this morning. Looking at the airquality2.txt file it starts with:

{"mapVersion":60,"mapVersionString":"A fix for script error that popped up recently. Smaller download for map updates. Map still slow when zoomed out but we are working on that!","results":

. Do not know if it used to do that. When I test my PA setup everything seems fine and the tags gets updated but then it is a flat line in the graph.

Not sure but the only thing changed is that I updated WD from 10.37S b62 to 10.37S b64 around the same time.

looks like a purpleair server error

Thanks, I hope it will come around then.
Were there any changes regarding PurpleAir between the versions?

no (unless you happened to have ticked that want to use the uRADMonitor)
what is your purlple air ID and I will test here

Thanks Brian,
I got 4443 and 4444 as the second sensor

it was mistake I made when I added the urADmonitor support #-o
use this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/cronairquality.zip

Looks like it is working now.
Thank you for the fast fix you made :thumbright:

I hope I post it in correct place. I’ve been using airquality2.txt file to upload PM2.5 from my Arduino sensor. Now I’ve upgraded the sensor to a SDS011 which measures the PM2.5 and PM10.

Few questions:

1. What should be the airquality2.txt format so that WD could read also this data? Right now it is (showing exact content):
"PM2_5Value":"5.6"
  1. I’ve seen WD has an option to read a json file from a select IP. I have a RPi which logs the data and is able to output data to a json format. What should be exact json file content (and file name)? I’d be grateful for a little more description which options to tick in WD. If I make this option work then I can omit airquality2.txt file, right?

Many thanks.