Interface Weather Display with Nanhua anemometer

Hello,

this is my first topic on this interesting forum. I’m an Italian meteorologist.

Recently, I’ve purchased a Nanhua anemometer (model FA21: http://en.nanhua.com/products/Anemometer/FA21/). The wind sensor is connected to the FA220C datalogger (http://en.nanhua.com/products/Anemometer/fa220c/). The latter communicates with PC via RS485-USB cable. I would connect this anemometer to Weather Display: is it possible to create an “ad-hoc” interface setup?

I await a feedback.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Vincenzo Capozzi

Hi
is there an RS232 option?

Hi,

No, unfortunately, the anemometer can ne connected to the PC only with a RS485-USB cable.

I think you can get RS485 → RS232 hardware convertor?

If it already uses an RS485 to USB converter at the PC end I’m not sure you need to worry about RS232. Need to know the interface protocol though.

According to the guidelines provided by Nanhua manual, the connection between datalogger and PC can be performed only via RS485-USB cable.

I hope that we can find a solution. The Nanhua software generates a .txt file that contains the average wind speed and wind direction data. The file is updated every 10 second. As an alternative, we could find a solution to read those files through Weather Display (as it occurs for the .dat files generated by Campbell datalogger).

that will work, getting WD to read the text file

Ok, this is a good news!

How we can interact about this topic? Maybe I could send you an example of this .txt via email.

Let me know.

yes, that will be the first step :wink:

I have added support now
see my reply email

Hi Brian

Along with my friend Vinc86 we tried viewing through the txt file but it does not work.

we used latest version of WD select the txt file but not work…

Suggestion ?

Hi
that should work
as long as the file you have selected in WD is being updated
if you could .zip and email me that file you have, and the wdisplay.ini setting file, I can test/check here

good news

i partially solved

the Nanhua text file path must be under wdisplay directory to work.

But now i have another problem too…

into Nanhua txt file 2.9 m/s are written without comma decimal separate Example: 2.9 m/s as 29
4.5 m/s as 45

Wd read 4.5 as 45

it’s possible for you to correct this problem?

the Nanhua txt file is:

00:00:00 28 226
00:00:10 30 222
00:00:20 28 219
00:00:30 26 229
00:00:40 27 239

28,30,28,26,27 must be 2.8,3.0,2.8,2.6,2.7

thanks a lot

Mario

yes, that is an easy fix

the file problem must have been a permissions problem then in the original folder

okay

for the decimal comma ? can you solved?

29 for WD should be 2.9 m/s :wink:

actually 29 is 29 :smiley:

use this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip
(unzip to where you have WD installed) (exit WD first)

Hi Brian

i try to install this update but when i launch WD program the data not load and in the main window no wind data received.

Can i try to install WD into the same Nanhua anemometer directory ?

Cheers

as the nanhua log records data is every minute, for greater accuracy, it would be best to read the WD directly to the serial port.

Can i set for you a sniffer serial port software to remote control by you for a best setup ?

Have you suggestion for free sniffer serial port program?

Cheers

Can i try to install WD into the same Nanhua anemometer directory ?
yes you can but you would need to use the latest full install update

why has it taken a whole month for you to back to me though?
the problem with direct serial has already been discussed
you would need to convert to RS232