Several Flat Lines in a Week

really need a lot more detailed info to be able to possibly help

Brian,

I know you want to help and I appreciate it :slight_smile: What do you need from me and i will do my best to get that to you.

Not an urgent/emergency situation

When a full or mini flat line occurs the data records do not increment (from main WD screen).

I dont’ recall seeing any errors in program event log. Going into the com port doesn’t help (shows com port opened but records don’t increase)

Nothing has changed on my mac env - no updates etc

The “mini” flat lines are new. In those cases the records stop updating but then pick up on there own leaving gaps in the graphs (i will try to see if I have some screen shots of that)

that is more the sort of information that I need
it sort of sounds like your usb is going to sleep

I would tend to agree with you.

Recall I converted from serial to USB logger when i went to Sierra. I could not get the serial-usb keyspan converter working.

I’m sure it is VERY coincidental that it was stable for a while after I updated the UART driver which i was many revs back to when the issues started up again with the last few releases of WD. NOT blaming WD, just looking for what has changed.

Contacting Silabs for help is next to impossible. I will try to post in their forum

From your very strong technical knowledge any other reasons for USB to drop like that. My Mac btw is fairly new (bought new 3 years ago).

Wondering if High Sierra would help at all??? Doubt it

I’m wondering… if Keyspan has updated their drivers, I could always try that interface again see if that helps. I would think sticking to USB on a mac is better

Ok i’m done rambling, thanks for listening :slight_smile:

I would be looking at your energy savings settings

[shadow=red,left][shadow=red,left][/shadow][/shadow]

Good idea. When I’m home I will take a look and post screen shot.

I’m fairly certain I reviewed this with Apple but worth looking into for sure

I did post in the Silabs forum

here are my energy settings from iMac

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 7.00.17 PM.png

not sure why you would have ticked enable power nap

No clue… I suspect it was an Apple recommendation. They did a screen share with me a while back and I think they recommended it

Since this is my iMac (always plugged in) I would tend to agree no need for it.

Do you suspect it has anything to do with my issue? I can always uncheck and see how things go.

One other strange thing. The “mini” flat lines are totally random while the true flat lines seem to have been occurring around 915pm. I know of no mac or WD function that comes on this time

Anyways, it is unchecked for now

Much appreciated

I do not see flat lines when looking at your graphs?
http://deputydawgwx.com/wxgraphs.php

I corrected them.

I am certain I took screen shots when it happened

I will look at home or if I can remote in grab them and send to your email or here

Do you think that energy setting would have an impact?

Deputy Dawg,

I noticed in the screenshot of the energy saver that you didn’t include the computer sleep settings. Is that set to never?
Attach is my screenshot of the setting that are working for me with no flatlines. I am running the latest Mac version update 3-29-18.

Sean

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 2.35.10 PM.png

Thanks

ODD mine doesn’t look like yours. What mac model are you? I’m an iMac running Sierra. Here is my full screen shot

Curious why you put your hard disk to sleep?

I went back a few revs and that stabilized mine somewhat. I see the new update you reference and will give it a shot.

My issue is most perplexing. No rhyme or reason to it. It used to be flat lines only and they were becoming frequent. Then I updated my Silabs USB driver (i was many revs back). That seemed to
help a lot. It was stable for some time. Then I started experiencing mini flat lines - where it would stop updating randomly during the day then resume on its own. The major flat lines “seem” to happen approx
9-930pm - which is an odd time as there is nothing WD is updating (i.e. midnight noon etc). The mini’s started happening more frequently. SO I backdated to build 296 which has helped…

Oh one other thing Brian had me try. In my internet web page settings there was one value I had running every minute which Brian advised was major over kill. So I set that back to 1 hour. The setting was in advanced internet setup “setup page#2” “file #29 special custom file conversion”

@ Brian, can I change this value now - it has been 1 hour since you advised. Can I goto 15 or 30 minutes perhaps.

Attaching a screen shot of that too. It says 1 min in the screen shot but really 1 hour when i open it up

As mentioned when it happens, the record counter stops. Going into Com port section (which shows it open) doesn’t help. Can’t recall if anything in the program event logs

I’m running Mac OS Sierra on a late 2013 iMac 27"
Davis VP2 wireless with USB option from VP2 to Mac

I have an older mac which I keep needing to update to High Sierra and test WD. Maybe going to High Sierra will help??

Anyways… thats my story… I appreciate yours and especially Brian’s help on this. Its very frustrating issue since its random and doesn’t appear to be associated with any event.

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 7.12.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 7.30.51 AM.png

Sorry to re-hash this topic, but have some more info

The flat lines are defiantly not as common as they have been but still occur. Note: from an earlier post I was on a build that was fairly stable. I updated WD and they increased. I backed down to I think 296 and they # occurrences dropped. Could be purely coincidental. I’m on the latest and its also back to minimal occurrences.

In each time the record count is not increasing. In each time I try to open the comm port - luck impact. I check program event log - I do see access errors but fairly confident those were there before the flat line. I seem to see those in program event log even during normal operations.

Here is the new info: When these occur they are almost always concurring around 21:15-21:30. I find this time odd, as I’m not aware of any WD activities (ie midnight and noon seem to be where updates occur). From my limited knowledge I tend to think it would be not likely to be a driver or HW issue to occur almost at the same time. Not saying WD either - perhaps OS (although I seem to recall this happening on older Mac OS).

Just to be clear i’m not blaming or pointing fingers at anyone. I’m just reporting what I have observed.

I just continue to scratch my head on this. Is there any way to add some diags/logs to capture any anomalies?

I know this is an extreme reach but…

way back when for another problem you had me change the read delay value to 800 (see screen shot)

Would this delay cause my flat line issue ???

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 9.12.38 PM.png

I think this is more of a clue:

Here is the new info: When these occur they are almost always concurring around 21:15-21:30.

I agree, that seems to be a key

But in most if not all cases, i’m not at my mac around this time. I normally go to bed around 2100 and out by 5am which is when I notice (when I see the flat line in the am, I look at the logs to see when that value started repeating aka flat lining).

I can’t think of anything special that happens on my mac or WD around that time.

I am grasping at straws, but what about that read timer value you had me set way back when? Could that cause anything?

Are there any diags to put in place to capture this when it happens?

I sincerely appreciate any help tracking this thing down. Been going on for so long ):

Btw as a rule I always restart WD regardless every few days

is your mac set to go to sleep maybe then after you go to bed?

Good thought, but dont think so

I’m in the habit now of checking WD before bed (anywhere from 9-930pm) and when I wake up (450)

So lets say as was the other night I check it around 9-915, its awake (think my monitor stays on for an hour) before it flat lined at 925 I think it was

Its crazy… Can’t think of anything in common, anything that WD or the OS is doing. Very odd most if not all of them have happened around that time.

We know for sure the record count stops and going into the comm port has no impact

So that read delay set to 800 has no impact?

try as a test not setting the monitor to go to sleep
also make sure the screen does not set to get locked etc