Several Flat Lines in a Week

My apologies

Remind me please what you need a screenshot of

I did think to check event log and saw an access violation. I have that and will attach.

Otherwise not sure what to post.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 12.59.12 AM.png

that could be related, yes
what I will do is add a time stamp to that

a screen shot of the graphs would help me to know what you are seeing
etc

Will do my best. If it happens over night I usually find out at 5am right before I leave for work. That early in the am, I will do my best to remember :slight_smile:

The graphs will simply show a flat line. As mentioned before the counter at the bottom does’t increment. So whatever values were last recorded (temp dew point etc etc0 are
what show in the graphs - as a flat line (since t hey aren’t being updated).

Hope that makes sense.

the data received counter not increasing means that no new data is coming in
have you tried re selecting the com port driver and re opening that
to see if that gets the data flowing again

that is the sort of things you should be trying
just saying it stops really does not help me know why , etc

Thanks…

Never tried that… Ill try to remember to do that - just to see if that works. I will still need to go back and get the data i’m missing from over night after.

I agree this is a hard one to troubleshoot. I was hoping updating the USB Silabs driver would help. Maybe it will and last night was a fluke.

Any debugs you can put in to capture if the data stops or something like that - no harm asking

Brian,

Knock on wood - no flat lines in 3 weeks !!!

I wonder if possibly the one after updating the driver my jan 1 post wasn’t a flat line. It is possibly I was looking at weather underground (which at the time I didn’t know was having issues) and interpreting all the gaps as WD not sending data/flat lining.

We shall see… :slight_smile: My fingers are crossed !!!

I understand if it happens once and a while but several times a week was too much

not sure why you would base your observations on WU data
you should have then checked on WD itself graphs etc

I’m guessing i was not at my computer thus checked WU

Anyways, so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed.

My Silabs USB driver was very old now i’m up to date

I did see a newer version (but still Build 296) is avail. I will grab that

Thanks again

Hey Brian

I was just going to post yesterday no issues in a month !!!

But then I believe last night I caught a flat line before it went on for a while.

I noticed the record count wasn’t increasing. I made a short video capture to show that.

Then I did as I believe you asked - I checked program event log - nothing. I then opened the com port - still nothing/record count didn’t increase.

I just closed WD and restarted - all was fine

Not sure if this helps or not. Scratch the attachment. Its too big, will email it

were you able to open the com port…i.e it should have said, com port opened ok

Yes… that happened - it said opened… but still record count did not increment

I emailed you a video - that was taken before I tried the com port

the other thing to try would then be to reselect the default Davis Baud rate selection in the weather station type setup
the next time it happens
at least its running for much longer now

Thanks, I will try to remember that.

The good news is that instead of happening 2-3 times a week, its approx once a month.

I understand issues come up now and then. Once and a while is ok. But the couple times a week was driving me nuts

Progress !!!

I saw the other thread about WD working good on High Sierra. Maybe that will help too

Appreciate your help as always.

Is there any way to put in some debugs or traps when the counter doesn’t increase?? Just a thought

Brian, I totally agree. Once and a while is much better than 2-3 times a week.

I was way behind in the Silabs Uart driver

My flat lines have been very stable, UNTIL…

Perhaps its coincidental, but since the latest build (or 2), I have had

2 mini flatlines - where it stops but picks up later on its own throughout the day
1 complete flatline - same time as in the past - approx 9pm

I will go back to a prior release and test it out for a while.

Just sharing… :slight_smile:

Went down to version B298. I had another mini flat line - come home and see graphs with missing gaps of data then picks up again

Trying the Jan 20th version of B296 to see if that works

Recall for a while it was very stable. The Silabs Uart driver is 1 behind - which I don’t suspect is a big issue. The latest version fixes:
Version 5.0.4
Added VID/PID for PICARO.

which has nothing to do with me I believe

Anyways, just sharing.

IF anyone is having flat lines OR gaps in data please reach out to me. I’m using Davis VP2, Mac os Sierra, iMac

Thanks

really need a lot more detailed info to be able to possibly help

Brian,

I know you want to help and I appreciate it :slight_smile: What do you need from me and i will do my best to get that to you.

Not an urgent/emergency situation

When a full or mini flat line occurs the data records do not increment (from main WD screen).

I dont’ recall seeing any errors in program event log. Going into the com port doesn’t help (shows com port opened but records don’t increase)

Nothing has changed on my mac env - no updates etc

The “mini” flat lines are new. In those cases the records stop updating but then pick up on there own leaving gaps in the graphs (i will try to see if I have some screen shots of that)

that is more the sort of information that I need
it sort of sounds like your usb is going to sleep

I would tend to agree with you.

Recall I converted from serial to USB logger when i went to Sierra. I could not get the serial-usb keyspan converter working.

I’m sure it is VERY coincidental that it was stable for a while after I updated the UART driver which i was many revs back to when the issues started up again with the last few releases of WD. NOT blaming WD, just looking for what has changed.

Contacting Silabs for help is next to impossible. I will try to post in their forum

From your very strong technical knowledge any other reasons for USB to drop like that. My Mac btw is fairly new (bought new 3 years ago).

Wondering if High Sierra would help at all??? Doubt it

I’m wondering… if Keyspan has updated their drivers, I could always try that interface again see if that helps. I would think sticking to USB on a mac is better

Ok i’m done rambling, thanks for listening :slight_smile: