Weather Display goes flat line

I have had issues since I first set up a weather station at my house. Sometime it happens 3 or 4 times a week and other times it will go a few weeks. The problem is all the data on the Weather Display graph will go to a flat line. None of the data changes. Initially I just figured it was the Oregon Scientific station but am not sure now. I currently have an Oregon Scientific WMR200 station and have the issue. I have an HP 27-a010, INTEL i7-6700T @ 2.8 GHz, RAM 12.0 GB, 64 bit with Windows 10 Home. I initially had an Oregon Scientific WMR100 and still had the same issue. I had the same issues with my prior computer. The screen of the WMR200 still has data that appears to be correct but it either isn’t sending it to my computer or the computer isn’t receiving it. I have no other problems with the computer that I am aware of. I did have the USB plugged unto a 4 port USB adapter but now have it direct into a rear USB of the computer and still have the problem. Is there possibly a setting on my Weather Display 10.37S40 software that I have set incorrectly? Sometimes I can reset the weather station and it will fix the problem right away. Other times I can reset the weather station and it will take a while for it to display the correct data on the computer. Some time I reset the software and it will work but might take a while. I have attached a picture of the display where you can see where the flat line was before I reset the WMR200. If I was sure the problem would be fixed if I bought another brand of weather station I would. Since the problem is with two different models of weather station and two different computers I am guessing I have something not set correctly somewhere.

I get the same problem. 9 times out of 10 restarting Weather Display does the trick: then it reads the WMR200 history data for the flatline period and carries on. (It doesn’t redraw the flatlined portion of the graphs, but the data is logged.) The other time in 10 I have to restart my USB-over-ethernet extender. I’ve never had to reset the weather station for this problem.

Does it flatline at the same time always

USB cables are not shielded and susceptible to interference. Things to try…move the console farther away from computer and keep USB away from any electronic devices, or, replace USB cables with ferrite choke cables like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Ferrite-U023-006/dp/B003MQ29B2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488735492&sr=8-3&keywords=shielded+usb+cable

@bitsostring
this post has nothing to do with history wmr200, and so your post is not helpfull and just confuses the issue

its instead to do with live data

which could be due to windows power down the usb hub
there is a you tube video on how to set windows power settings for USB

(the key is to check the separate running wmr200 program rick790 and see what shows there when the flat line occurs)

With respect, my post had nothing to do with WMR200 history data except to reassure Rick790 that he wouldn’t lose data by restarting WD.

The point is that WD appears to hang for both of us, occasionally, for no apparent reason. So I wanted to let Rick790 know he wasn’t alone. Anyone else find the same?

Watch my lips: “I get the same problem.”

I have tried a shielded USB cable with the ferrite before. I will try it again and move the WMR200 away from the computer and WIFI.

It is totally random when it flat lines.

I will check the USB power settings.

I checked the USB power settings and it was set to shut the USB down to save power. I changed it and will see what this does and let you know.

I checked the USB power settings and it was set to shut the USB down to save power. I changed it and will see what this does and let you know.
hopefully that resolves this issue for you

It looks like it is working now! I disabled the USB power down and it hasn’t gone flat line. Such an easy fix!

THANKS for your help!!!
Rick

that’s good
the later windows versions are assuming users are using it on laptops/net books on battery power alot…and so power saving’s are on by default now

I too have been ok since changing the USB setting, well, i just changed it to high performance
and its been ok so far…

I’m still getting flat-lining, and it’s not a Power Options problem. Maybe my USB extender. Whatever, I lose data.

During the outage WMR200 data gatherer just shows “resetting registry” but Data Quality and Data Received lights flash green all the time. On restart, the missing history data is read from the console logger and lost, the WD logs just show flat-line data.

How would it be if WD stopped logging/graphing as soon as the data feed failed? And the data lights should go red, too.

That way we’d notice, eventually, that something was wrong: but we wouldn’t lose the data in the console.

yes, it would be better that the data received light did not flash red and the data quality light when red when the separate data program lost usb connection
I will look at implementhing that for the next update

try this test version
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

OK. So far, the only difference I’ve noticed is that Data Received flashes, and the DR number is incremented, at random intervals, not every second as before: it reached only 61 after 10 minutes. But live data is being read, according to the wmr100.exe data gatherer, and the logs and graphs seem OK.

Before I simulate a lost data connection, is this what you expected?

yes

OK. Cut off USB data feed and Data Received light stopped flashing, DR count stopped increasing. Data Quality light stayed green. Graph plotting (flat-line) continued, and logging (last good data) continued. Data gatherer reads “Resetting registry”.

On restoring data feed and restarting WD all history data was read into wmr200history.txt but nothing was done with it: it’s neither graphed nor logged.

Suggestions:

a) DR (and DQ?) light could go red when data feed goes down, as they are at start-up? (DR flashes so rarely now - see last post - that it’s not immediately obvious that it’s actually off!)

b) An option for users with data loggers to stop WD drawing flat-line graphs and to stop logging flat-line data until the data feed is restored, so that the history data in the logger can be appended (like the overnight data at my daily start-up)?

yes, I should be able to make the data quality light go red if the data feed stops and then also stop logging
I will get you a test version

try another test version, same url