Last mounting question, hopefully

Ah, too late of that lol

Why not? Its just to extend the 6-core cable like the 4-core one. Nothing special there. Done that w/o problems.
One reason for splitting them apart are also so it not builds up ice between rainpot and temp/hum during the winter whats could break it.
Just FYI, its quite odd Davis not have taken in account that ice-build-thingy in the first place…

Interesting, what distance?

My concern is the VP2 temp/hum uses more complex digital communication interface than the simple switch closure/variable resistance of the anemometer and rain gauge. But I guess it’s not an issue after all :slight_smile:

Ice build up, in California? :lol:

Some 5-6 m.

Ice build up, in California?

No, but up here with heated gauge yes :smiley:
First winters with they untouched had i to try to get away that ice to not break the thing but also because it clogged the water-holes in the bottom of the rainpot at the end. So it is a really crap design by default.

I seem to recall that at one time the humidity sensor worked like a variable capacitor, and the capacitance measuring circuit was on the SIM board. Adding extra cable was not recommended because that could alter the capacitance. Is it not like that any more?

N7XSQ

I will be going 10m’s, if not then i will have to mount it on the mast and that i didnt want to
do due to the heat off the summer house roof :confused:

As it stands, i cannot find any 6 core connectors locally anyway :confused:

No, it’s a totally digital sensor now, SHT11 until recently, now SHT31 I think. It uses 2 wire serial comm similar to I2C which is usually only used for on board or board to board interface, but apparently it works over longer distances.

IS that gonna be too long?

Don’t know. Based on the chip’s datasheet I’m surprised 5-6 m works for weatherc so all bets are off :dontknow:

oh well, only one way to find out :confused: going the other way would cost a fortune in cable x3 :frowning:

Ald old thread about the subject: http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php?topic=48099.0
EDIT: Anoher one whre Sensirion have answered 3-10 m should be fine: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14091.0

Good find :smiley: Bottom line, never read the datasheet before you try something :lol:

Carrying the SCK and DATA signal parallel and in close proximity (e.g. in wires) for more than 10cm may result in cross talk and loss of communication.

I guess it’s pretty safe. With the serial comm protocol and checksum system I doubt you can actually get wrong values in the data, if there’s a problem I think it will be garbage data that the ISS will reject.

Yep, trial/error was my route there too. As i needed at least 2-3 m back then did i the 5-6m wire as a test as longer wire = easier to get located nicely. I had in mind that it may not work, but it have worked just fine. As its a “normal, but 6-core phonewire” had it been easy to cut and add a new RJ-plug at the end if it not worked. :smiley:

Google for Davis 7346.221

(@weatherc - lowland England != Finland)

Fenland?

:smiley: (though Breckland might be more appropriate for this thread - sure Bashy will explain to the uninitiated)

I didn’t know that one…

Brexitland?

good news re cable all being well, thanks guys…

You would think so wouldnt you, Brexit gets the blame for most :lol: :lol: :lol: not this time though lol

Breckland (or The Brecks) as a landscape region is an unusual natural habitat of England. It comprises the gorse-covered sandy heath that lies mostly in the south of the county of Norfolk but also in the north of Suffolk. ... The Brecks are one of the driest places in England.

IS there another way to mount the OS anemometer on to a 40mm pole other than attatching a smaller pole, i think the u-bolts are 30mm?