Windows Explorer crashes when trying to restore settings

My computer running WD and Win7 had its power removed in error. As a result WD has lost all its settings.

As per the FAQ I’ve tried to restore the settings but every time I try to copy files from the WD backup directory Windows Explorer crashes.

I can’t even copy the entire WD directory to another location.

Please help.

have you tried rebooting the pc?

This actually sounds like sommas amiss in Windows, I would start it in safe mode and run a system restore to the latest one and see how ya go then…

Thanks!

I did a restore and WD loaded with the correct settings without doing anything! However the data on the screen were out of date - they seem to be from the restore date.

I now just have to wait for the data to update.

Hi, there is only one way around but you was struggling to move files, and that was to back up the WD dir 1st :frowning:

You could do another restore to undo this on, then tried to backup WD folder, then try the restore, if it will, it
save some days worth at least

Yes WD’s data files (*.inf) are included when Windows creates a system restore point (auto or manual) so if you restore back then WD’s data for the graphs etc will be set to that point in time. I think the logfiles are not included in restore points so if the data is intact and up to date in this month’s logfile you should be able to convert it to datafile and the graphs should be current again

Thanks. I wondered why I was getting old graph data.

The restore did not cure the crashing of Windows Explorer though.
I’ll have look further into this.

Maybe try to see if any system files are corrupt by opening a command window and entering sfc /scannow and see what the results are.