1 forum mod? and email sending

Not a problem. This is a forum and it is always good to kick around ideas here.

@Niko, Chris, perhaps its a Gmail thing then :? :roll:

If you’re using GMail to pick up mail from your domain then there will be a delay. GMail trains itself to how often on average you receive emails and sets the collection time accordingly. There are probably lower and upper limits to the collection frequency…I think the quickest is about 8-10 minutes which should give an average of about 4-5 minutes delay on receiving emails.

AH… that will be it, i have just changed it to my gmail account,
it was coming from from suffolk weather through gmail, thanks Chris
lets see how quick it is now, if you reply that is lol

Not a quick reply but hopefully you’ll see the notification quickly.

Just got it now, is the forum an hour behind, says you spotted this at 3:15pm

See if the time is better now. I flipped the server into GMT by mistake a few days ago…it should run in UTC time zone.

Although UTC is GMT at the moment so that can’t be it :oops:

Still 3, unless i have to set it in my profile?, 2 secs…

Current forum time: February 13, 2017, 03:24:11 PM

I am set to default (auto) in me profile :?

My profile is set to ‘1’ and the posts are appearing at UK local time. Perhaps the forum doesn’t know where Suffolk is :wink:

Ha ha, who does :wink:

I aint bothered about it, no know eles obviously is so, as ya were… :smiley: cheers Chris

The auto timezone thing is just broken in SMF, this isn’t the only forum that I have to either adjust for DST or just live with the time being “off” part of the year.

An smf bug then I take it, no worries, I didn’t notice tilnwe started messing with emails lol

Not sure it’s fair to call it a bug. We’ve got an international forum with users in pretty much every time zone and there’s no guaranteed way from a browser interface to know how local time on your PC compares to UTC. Add onto that that some time zones are plain weird and not based on geography, e.g. China covers three time zones but only uses one, plus there are 30 minute time zones in some places. Then the use of DST varies dramatically (I think I saw that that some US states have areas with DST, other areas with no-DST, and some that have a 30 minute DST). Oh and don’t forget that there’s northern and southern hemisphere DST to contend with. I’m amazed that SMF gets close to getting it right!

You would think it would get GMT right though seen as thats what all the rest are based on

It does for me (now). Historically I had it set to the time in the location where the servers are (Germany) so the offsets looked weird…internally ‘-1’ (which you don’t see) so you had to set ‘1’ in your profile to get back to UTC. I’ve now properly set the server to UTC and the forum zone to UTC with a zero hour offset. That means that my profile offset is now zero too. The times are OK for me now, but they’re probably wrong for everyone else now!

Ah yeah, server time is a pain for forums, i normally have a server in the US and it was rae i could get the time right on the server for over here lol

Stick with UTC on your server. Then you can move it anywhere in the world and the time will always be the same.

Ah, ok, good tip, thanks :slight_smile: