Davis Envoy question

Does it ever show other than 0 in the decimal? Internally the Davis works in F, so any temp displayed in C is converted.

Not quite 100% sure what ya mean, oh, hold on yes, i know what ya mean lol

Yes it does, say for example 1.2C, the non decimal figure will show, if its below 0.5 rounded to the lower
if its above 0.5 it will rounded up to the next, eg if the soil # is showing 1.3 in the other box it will show as 1
if its 1.8 it will show as 2 :slight_smile:

I was just about to take a photo and show you BUT, sods law its at 0.0C ha ha ha ha

Found the image from the other day, both if these are soil temp #1

7.2C is 45F, so I think it’s an F measured temp converted to C, and the display difference is just a display design choice.

Oki, I will keep an eye on it, but if for example if it says something like 0.1C that will not = a rounded F then
I will report back :slight_smile:

Oh, there is one other thing, I am sure I read somewhere that the stainless steel temp was rounded to 0 but the one I have isn’t, may have made that up mind, will have look online in the morning :

Hi Niko, this morning the soil temp was 0.2C now if my mate google is correct then that is 32.36F

Hi folks, from what i gather, the Console is to the nearest 1C and both envoys to the nearest 0.1C or 1C,
but nothing said about the history and alarms for the 8x, thats the only difference i can find in the specs

Here’s the specs, i wrote it exact

The console (Outside temp/hum ISS)
Current data: 0.1

If you’ll allow me to dip in quickly:

Standard consoles and Envoys (not 8X which is a different animal altogether) behave identically. You must distinguish between temps from primary inside/outside sensors and supplementary (eg leaf/soil) sensors.

All in/out temps are processed by the console as 0.1F temps and converted to

Hi John, thanks for the info, using it for the external probe for inside temp could be a good option
for me as my weather pc is in the conservatory and the door is open all day long unless i have to
go out, so you can imagine what the indoor temps is like :lol:

I have also found out that the soil temp is reading at 0.0, thats what VPLive is telling me so i am baffled as to
why WD only grabs it at 0, unless the output data from the console is only producing it at 0, that will explain
that, question is John, whilst you are here, does the Envoy output the soil temp at 0.0?

Wait, that cant be right, the data is being sent as 0.0 because VPLive picked it up at that lol mm interesting…

What always needs to be remembered with Davis kit is that it’s US-designed and therefore all readings are held internally in US units, eg

Thats ok, half the time with stuff like this i need to be spoon fed as it can take a while or simplifying for it to sink in.

I think i get it, basically its in F and the console converts it, will have to ask Brian as to why WD will only do it to 0

thanks John and Niko :slight_smile:

there is a custom tag to show vp soil temp to 1 dec place
(ie 0.5 c resolution)

Ah brill, i only noticed the normal ones, will have a look, thanks Brian :slight_smile:

Ah poo, does that apply to the night cloud settings too Brian?

not sure what you mean?
not sure what soil temp 1 decimal place has to do with night cloud setting exactly?
maybe you mean by using the soil sensor as an extra temp sensor the night time cloud ?
(if so then it would help to make that clear)
the value used will be to 0.5c resolution

Sorry, you are aware i am using soil temp for night cloud, we are/were trying to get soil temp one working instead of 2?
I didnt think to think you may have forgot.

Would it be possible to have a .1 option please, although .5 is better than 1 its still too big of a margin for the night cloud
my difference is 0.0 for overcast and 1.7 for clear using the soil temp prob

yet using settings 0.0 overcast and 1.0 difference, this produces the clear sky icon/condition

Only been asking about it and the soil resolution because its been hard to set up the night cloud settings

I didnt think to think you may have forgot.
but there are alot of people I am working with and its hard to know who is doing what with what etc all the time you see, I am not a mind reader people need to supply as much information as possible in their posts

HI Brian, i do try to supply as much as i can, sometimes its hard to remember all the details form start to finish
I just assumed :oops: that you would have remembered, my mistake…