WD (GUI) and Raspberry Pi Success

my understanding is that the pi 1 and 2 is 32 bit but the pi 3 is 64 bit
I will into re compiling the gui version of consolewd for the pi 3

(I do have a 64 bit version of consolewd for pi 3 already :slight_smile: )

Brian, i think mean that GUI-WD are for x86 while RasPi are ARM.
I runned over same issue when played around with a Pi and tryed to get WeatherLink to run on it. It complained about same architecture-issue and needed a virtual OS to get running.

Brian, i would be happy to test if you need a beta tester. :smiley:

I do have the gui version of consolewd for the raspberry pi 1 (32 bit arm)
which is what brianf7408 will be running I would say, in compatibilty mode on the 64 bit pi 3 (arm)
what was the url for the download brian7408?

This version will not run natively on my PI3: http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherD.tar.gz (is this the link you are asking for?) You will get the ‘wrong architecture’ error. As i stated, it is a ver 3 PI. (is this the link you are asking for?)

To get it to run i have to use an x86 emulator.

Edit: Link url fixed by moderator

ah, that is the full blown linux version
and not the gui version of consolewd which I had created (just shows the main screen), which I thought you were using

The GUI version of console? I don’t see that on the downloads page. Which one is it? That may address my needs.

Hello - This seemed like the best thread to post the question. I am familiar with Weather Display and have a license for it on our Windows 7 machine. However, I recently (last year) got a Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B), and would like to try to get it running on the Pi, and then get a new license. When I go to the Weather Display web page, I do not see a version to download for the Pi, although on the home page it says the Rasp Pi is supported. Is it still supported, and where should I look for the software if it is? I see above that a GUI version for Linux is mentioned. That is what I am trying to find.

Thanks!

The RP has as ARM CPU which is not compatible with an x86 CPU which is what the full Linux GUI is compiled for. To get the full Linux GUI version to run on a RP, you will need to virtulize an x86 Linux OS. I use this and it works great. https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

re the raspberry pi
there is consolewd (i.e runs in a terminal window)
download:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/consolewd.tar.gz
or use the emulation as per above for the gui WD linux version :slight_smile:

Is the GUI Linux version working the same as the windows version? Maybe this can work for me, because i’m a newbi with Linux and i’m used to work with the windows version. Does it still working fine with the virtual OS?

i’ve never used the windows version, but I can say that the full linux GUI version works very well in the virtual OS. The full Linux GUI version hasn’t been updated in a few years so Im sure it is missing some functionality when compared to windows as well as a few minor bugs but the general functionality is there and works well.

Brian thanks for the link to wdisplay for Linux using an i686 emulator. Please note the link is missing a hyphen and should be http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherD.tar.gz

Good catch, I have fixed that since it went to an ad page.

I would second polykick’s comment above. I have had WD for many years, and run it under windows.

I have a Pi3, and want to use it for a reduced cost installation at a remote site (the hanger at the airport) and don’t want a lot of equipment sitting there or the expense to go with it.

I am not as mentally facile as I used to be (I can barely follow murder mystery novels any more (just kidding)) so to have someone tell me that I need to run a virtual OS on RPi3 and load a version of WD into that leaves me a wee bit wondering.

May I ask those who are happy with RPi3 if the right way to do this is first get RPi running, second load some mysterious piece of software onto RPi which you are calling a virtual OS (are there some or just one to choose from?), and thirdly, then use that to load WD and configure and run it just the same (maybe not as fast) as I would on my Windows 7 machine?

Sounds like a summer project. Thanks for any clarification. Dale

Thats correct. The virtual OS or Emulator I am using is Exagear. You can find it at eltechs.com. There may be others but this is the one I use. You dont need the virtual OS if you use the console version. For my purposes I wanted the full version on my RPI3.

That helps, thank you.

When there are options, some of us go astray!

I remember emulators of BASIC that we loaded into a very expensive PDP-8 with paper tape, then entered the program, usually Hamarabi which was the only one that worked well.

And didn’t Microsoft’s first COBOL and FORTRAN run under some sort of p-code interpreter?

Anyway, to be able to get real WD to run on a pi is interesting and thank you.
Dale

I’m trying to get the gui console to run on my ubuntu 17.04 x64 machine, but when I issue this: sudo ./GoWdconsole.sh, I get this:

sudo: ./GoWdconsole.sh: command not found.

Anyone know why?

I believe the command is GoWeather.sh for the GUI.

that error occurs if you are using a 64 bit distro, but a 32 bit distro is needed