VP2 VERY ODD behavior [Resolved]

This is the most ODD behavior I have ever seen in my 11 years of owning my Davis VP2 Wireless.

I had my computer down for 2+ hours to do some updates.

It had started to rain during this

When I booted backup and connected to WeatherDisplay, I noticed the rain amounts were OFF by some 15"

It shows the daily rain was some 20" I think the max rainfall rate show 19"

Obviously that was wrong. So I checked the VP console to get the correct values so I could update WD.

Well low and behold the VP2 showed those values as well.

Sure it was raining but no way we got 20" in 2 hours.

1. any thoughts on what happened
  2. i doubt this but any way to reset the davis console?

Thanks

to reset the console, put the cursor or whatever it is to rainmonth. Then 2nd clear (high/low) until the numbers flash, make your changes and press done.

You should check the usual suspects. Take off the rain cone, look for crud, debris, do a manual tip back and forth and check the console to see if the fake tips work out.

Next take off the solar panel and dry out the socket where the rain cable connects, look for corrosion,=

Thanks… Think i’m doing something wrong

I selected the monthly rain. Then the 2nd clear high/low - nothing happened. How long should I hold them down before it flashes?

Btw the anomalous stuff has stopped for now

OK see what i’m doing wrong. I was holding 2nd/clear and hi low at the same time. If i hit 2nd, then hi/low it blinks - but I don’t see how I can change it - while blinking if I hit + it goes to another value besides rain. I did manage to hold it down and reset it to 0. But I would like to put a value in

While you have it flashing, uses the cursor keys (+,- and done between numbers.

Tried that, that just toggles it between values - i.e. moves it from rain month to wind or something like that

I could make a video of this or skype with you if that would help

you can set the needed rain total in WD
under control panel
offsets and initial rain

Its gotta be the station

It has been raining all night and the console is reporting nothing

It is 11 years old… Can I buy just a base station. I don’t need the console (plus trying to cut cost)

there might be a spider web on the tipping spoon
that is making it sit in just the right place off the stopper to cause the reed switch to bounce open and closed

Thanks… I opened it up… No blockages. I also tried manually tipping it, but didn’t hear the “click”

So I’m thinking time for a new one. After all I have had this one since Nov 2005

Hoping I can buy just the outside part. I don’t need the console nor anemometer. GOOGLE time

Thanks all !!!

You are in luck: https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/shop-by-product/rain-gauges/

Thanks… I’m thinking I need the whole ISS station itself =- like I said its 11 years old. What else will break on it?

I contacted the vendor I bought my whole station from and they sell the ISS and/or the whole kit.

I’m wondering if my situation could be the console too.

As soon as Davis opens (few minutes) will be giving them a call :slight_smile:
I’m still trying to figure out why in the 2hours my mac was shut down, why the Davis VP console showed some 20" of rain falling with a rain rate of 13.90. In fact when the rain stopped the VP still showed the rain rate of 13.90 and thus still kept accumulating. It wasn’t (coincidently perhaps) till I did the 2nd reset thing that it stopped

Btw I Never could figure out how to get the rain values on the console to reset. I highlighted (pressed) the monthly rain. I then pressed 2nd followed by hi/low. The value did blink, but I saw no way to change the value. If I hit + or - all it did was switch from monthly rain to one of the other values.

If I get a new station I would like to be able to update the console to match. Any thoughts as to what I’m doing wrong.

Also I have a new thread in mac forum - IF I have to get a console as well, wondering if I should get a USB logger? Right now I’m dependent on triplite to provide drivers, which they currently don’t have a sierra driver for.

I could always order the USB logger and if it fails revert back to my serial logger that I currently have :slight_smile:

I spoke to Davis Tech Support. They were great as always…

Based on what I told him, he highly suspects the “read switch” in the rain collector. He said I could do some stuff to solder things together etc - which i’m not good or comfortable with. Even if I did, since it’s 11 years old what’s next. He said this could explain the no rain values now and the rapid values from yesterday.

So I found a site that sells just the ISS :slight_smile:

Btw as far as changing values. I had everything right. However, after hitting 2nd key I’m supposed to hit the alarm/set button, not the clear button.

Davis also agrees I don’t need a console. So I will table the usb logger issue for another time.

Thanks for everyone’s help

Amazing what a new Davis VP2 does…

No more 20" per hour rainfall during sunny days !!!

The old one lasted 11 years - impressive :slight_smile:

Appreciate all the help :slight_smile:

Oh and I did get that startech cable - it arrived yesterday. Will try to play around with it over the weekend.

I now know I can change the values of the VP console info - via 2nd and set !!!