WMR 300 Q's...

Hi folks

Toying with ideas here what with the options for Davis being expensive, i have also been looking at the WMR 300
It seems the most sensible choice, what with being able to easily add ( and hopefully cheaper than davis) more sensors
Obviously the Solar and UV are quite essential (more the solar for me) but also there is the rain duration that i use too

I know someone has been having issues with his, im hoping thats a one off, so will disregard/ignore that for now

OK, it looks like you can extend the anemometer cable so thats a BIG plus

But, I would like to know,

1, is the original shield any good?
2, is a FARS conversion possible?
3, do you think its possible to remove the temp/hum sensor, extend cable and place in my own shield
4, anemometer; only 6m cable included, thats a problem if you want a tidy installation, can it be extended any more?
5, Disregarding all of the above, is the whole lot too big/heavy for installation at 6m? how would that effect temp readings
also would it not make the bucket tip in strong winds?

I see there are no extra sensors available at present, not even any temp sensors, tis a tad lame, its this
that is putting me right off, i.e. could be that they are holding back on them in case there’s not enough sales on the WMR300
and if there’s not then they will not go ahead with the additional sensors?

Where did you find out that the Anemometer cable length could be extended ?
Just curious as I would have a better place to locate it, if it had a longer cable.
Wonder if theres a maximum length limit.

Phil.
OS WM918 soon to be retired.

possibly related to the fact you can extend the Davis cable with no problems
I extended my WMR300 cable (2x) with no problems

Thats great, will try and get a cable and try it out.
My old OS WM-918 anemometer is on the roof, so I would like to put the WMR300 one
on the same pole.

Phil
OS WM918 almost completely replaced by WMR300

What cable do I need, the anemometer is now going down the bottom of the garden on a 30 foot GRP retractable mast.
With the rain gauge in the clear as well.
Hopefully the mast will also support my HF wire aerial… yes also a radio amateur.

Phil
OS WM918 almost completely replaced by WMR300

CAT5 maybe?

Seasons Greetings.

Sorry I meant what connectors do I look out for. Cat5 cable is the easy bit.
30foot pole to be ordered before they close tomorrow, for delivery hopefully just before New Year.
Probably will go up in the New Year.

Thanks

Phil
WM-918 semi-retired, WMR-300 now in test location No.2

Ordered 30 foot telescopic pole Friday, its here.
Desperate for cable info as I am unsure what cable, with what connectors to use to extend the anemometer cable with.

Phil

If you can post pictures of the connectors then maybe someone can identify a source. I would probably cut the cable and splice the Cat 5 in to extend it, paying careful attention to the color coding.

Photos of a similar plug, and its the right hand socket on the unit that it plugs into.
i do not really want to cut cables, because if it fails at some time, it gives me somewhere else
to start looking.
The plug is approx 9.5mm wide or 3/8"

Really need an extension cable and a joiner, can waterproof it easier than solder additional cable
lengths.

Phil

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

That’s RJ11 6P6C, a 6 core phone cable. Cables and connectors to make your own are easily available in the U.S but may not be wherever you are :dontknow:

Quick response, nearly ran out of daylight getting the photograph of the unit.

Will have a look at e-bay later, weather is not the best here, wet and windy.
At least we have not seen a weather bomb.

Many thanks

Phil

The picture of the cable reminded me of my old job. I sent one of our “tech kiddies” out with a new network fax/printer. I had configured its’ IP address and such and then had reboxed it prior to its’ deployment and installation at an administrators office. He brought it back because couldn’t get it to connect with the ethernet cable with the smaller plug. I knew immediately he had never seen a phone cable or an RJ11. Sigh…it’s times like that I feel like I came from the dark ages where I used 110 baud uphill in the snow.

Update…

Bought 10mtr extension cable and a couple of back to back connectors from e-bay.
Have just tried it on the Anemometer, all looks good, no loss of signal on the display or
the software.

Thanks for all the help, just need to decide on the final locations of the various sensors next.

Thanks
Phil

Just found out how useless Oregon Scientific customer services can be, as I am after
the mounting kit that comes with the THGN301 add on kit.
Seem to think I am making it up, even quote the user manual page with the pictures on.

Not very helpful, will be quicker making my own.

Phil