This just in! New Oregon Scientific Sensors being released soon!

I just had an interesting online conversation with Oregon Scientific. As I understand it, they are releasing a new line of products hopefully this year that will include solar sensor and UV sensors for their products including my own WS! Below is the conversation we just had:

Chat started
Dan
Hi, can you tell me when are solar sensor and UV sensors being released for the WMR300?

Customer Service
Hello Dan, this is XXXXXX. We do apologize but it will be featured into our online store and introduce it into our newsletters for the upcoming new units in the future.

Dan
How far into the future? Am I looking at a year or longer?

Customer Service
Definitely, since it it one of the flagship weather stations that we have. We do not have a specific time when the item will be released. Please bear with us and we will also check our corporate office and announce the latest weather stations and sensors by this year.

[Note, I don’t quite understand what the rep meant when I asked if I was going to have to wait at least another year or longer, perhaps English is not his/her first language - I’m assuming they meant in 2017]

Dan
Well, that is good news. Mid-to-late last year when I chatted with Support they told me the WMR300 would never have these sensors. I’m very pleased to hear that OS has been listening to their customers! Can I sign up somewhere for these notices?

Customer Service
Yes, you can sign up into our newsletters by scrolling down at our website and just put your email address and we will get you notified.

Dan
Very good, thank you! You know, most other professional weather stations already have these devices built in. I hope they won’t cost me (another) arm and a leg! :slight_smile:

Customer Service
Haha! Maybe we’ll provide a special cut-off price once that it is release. Let’s hope for that.
Anything else?

Dan
A special discount for professional weather station owners… I like it! Thanks, you’ve been a big help.

Customer Service
Sure thing Dan. We’ll give a heads up to those customers that have subscribed.
Thank you for contacting Oregon Scientific. Have a great day!

Dan
You too. Bye for now.

so this will be to add to the existing wmr300 ?
I do know there is a plug for those sensors from memory

@dan43: Where do get “soon” from that?

Dan: How far into the future? Am I looking at a year or longer?

Customer Service: Definitely,

You are correct, there are plugs inside for both of those sensors.

@niko: I went back and edited my post just below that line…

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you guys :lol:

Thanks niko…

You’d think that they’d already have these sensors made available when the unit was released. You don’t release a major product (or as was mentioned by OS, a “flagship” product) and not have any accessories for it!

They did say, “…We will … announce the latest weather stations and sensors by this year”… that’s a pretty good indication that it’ll be some time in 2017.

Note: announce and release are 2 different terms :wink:

Here is what they said last year 8O

https://www.facebook.com/OScientific/photos/a.302647323102147.78951.236494013050812/1333158980050971/?type=3&theater

Went to the link and all I saw was an advert from 2016 offering a small weather display for $1 after purchase. I didn’t want to sign in to FB to see it. Any other links out there ?

try
https://www.facebook.com/OScientific/photos/a.302647323102147.78951.236494013050812/1333158980050971/?type=3&theater

and there is an answer to a question about UV sensor…available for the next model station only by the looks (wmr500)?

Our WMR300 will not have a UV sensor. A new model, WMR500, will have one. coming in 2017. 8O

and it will probably have a new data protocol, that they will not release

Wont do themselves any favours if they do that :confused:

That’s exactly what I see too, I guess Facebook runs the world now and it’s leaving us behind :lol:

:roll:

WMR-500 is on their site already Oregon Scientific WMR500 Professional All-In-One Weather Station | Oregon Scientific Store

Doesn’t look very “professional” to me…

I put one their anenometers on my pole
http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/p-55-oregon-scientific-wgr800-professional-wind-sensor-with-poles-and-complete-mounting-kit.aspx
it has seized up now

I see they do now have extra temp/hum for the wmr300
http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/p-396-oregon-scientific-thgn301-extra-temperature-and-humidity-sensor-for-wmr300.aspx

The WMR500 is hideous :frowning: looks like a cheap old mickey setup, im sure breeze blocks are more aerodynamic too,
there looks like there is no way to split the sensors, i wouldnt even trust that at 10ft let alone 10m lol
Then theres the wireless computing/cloud, so ya could be right about data protocol…

Surely the WMR500 is just a name and does not denote its flagship model, surely right?

I did notice the extra temp the other week Brian, noticed the price too, bet ya bottom dollar that will be

I see that the wmr500 connects to the cloud…so probably not connection to a pc