Davis Data Logger

Hi All
I just received the new Davis 2005 catalog and they have some new software with a new streaming data logger. They say that it streams data and simultaneously logs data to be downloaded later. This sound like it would be better than the standard logger, if Brian can add this to the program. They don’t say to much about it other than it comes with the new software package. Has anyone heard anything about the new logger? Joe

Why do you think it would be better with WD?

Here’s davis info (pretty much the same as the catalog) http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=6540

Hi
I will be ordering a new weather station soon. I like the Davis station, but most of the problem seems to be with the logger one way or the other. If WD stored record direct you would not have to download from logger. I have no logger with my current station, and it would be one less thing to screw up. Thanks Joe

The current logger “weatherlink” does two things at the same time;

a) WD continually requests, and the logger continually outputs, the current data record, I think it’s about each 2.5 seconds

b) The logger captures records into its archive memory at an interval you select, shortest interval (and the one that gives full function in WD) is one record each minute. When the memory is full, it always dumps the oldest record to capture each new record. At a one minute interval it stores 42 hours of data.

WD only accesses the archive memory if it has been turned off or out of communication with the logger. Most of the problems you see related to the logger are for users who do not have their WD PC running 24 by 7 and need WD to download the archive and then make sense of all the mins, maxes, midnight rollovers etc. Many users have very satisfactory experience with the VP and WD.

I don’t know how the streaming logger functionality differs from the current one, “streaming” implies a continuous flow of data, but the weather station itself is only providing it relatively slowly so I’m missing something there.

Thank for the info. My one thought was when companies come out with new equipment it not long before they drop the old one.
Thanks Joe

Maybe I’m reading the catalog wrong, but it looks like the old datalogger is still available, and that it is the standard. The new streaming dataloggers appear to be built for specific situations, i.e. connecting to a TNC for packet radio transmissions. I think the streaming datalogger is an upgrade that is available if you need it for one of the specialized situations.

i have now fixed the max/min issue with the extacted data from the data at start up
so things should be reall rosy with wd and the vp data logger, and other data loggers for that matter

Good!

The next challenge is going to be the USB version. Looking at the Davis doc it appears they just added the same CP2101 chip that’s in generic USB to Serial adaptors to the Weatherlink hardware.

[quote author=NorCal Dan link=topic=6409.msg42545#msg42545 date=1101775478]
Maybe I’m reading the catalog wrong, but it looks like the old datalogger is still available, and that it is the standard.