New Zealand 7.4 earthquake November 13, 2016

hi brian i hope this has not had an impact on you , i live on a fault zone only to aware of how these can have a lasting affect to daily life. hope your safe …

Massive earthquake - Amberley, New Zealand on November 13, 2016
Time: 14:02

Significant Earthquake
Amberley, New Zealand
Magnitude: 7.4
Distance: 17088 km from: Istanbul
Time: 13-11-2016 14:02

Kids felt it and woke me up
Lights were swaying!
Felt over most of country.severe damage reports
Near center

im so sorry to hear this my wife lost everything here in 1999 i mean everything , stay safe and watch out for the aftershocks… thoughts are with you and your friends and people of new zealand. i dread it
and frequently shaken by minor ones here weekly …

most of all look after your family and relatives… take care…brian

I just read it in the Czech news so I immediately went here to see if you are ok, Im glad it didnt hit you too hard. I remember I told you it must be great to live in a country with such wonderful landscape, but obviously everything has its pros and cons… here we dont have EQs…

Tsunami warning too :frowning: NZ News

yes, a rather large Tsumami was recorded
https://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami
communications are down to the affected area
reports of 2 deaths :frowning:

Much bigger quake than 2011, but I guess it was a “better” location?

if you discount big quakes in remote part of the south island , Fiordland, this was the biggest quake in decades

have seen pictures of massive land slides blocking the main coastal road eastern northern South Island

we even could see the lights swaying from the aftershocks (6.2)

re location, yes,more remote, i.e away from large cities, but the city of Wellington has had damage (ie shelves fallen over). Houses have collapsed in towns nearer the center
so the death toll might climb

I see there are still plenty of unhappy homeowners from the last one Christchurch earthquake: The battle to rebuild, five years on - BBC News

I wouldn’t doubt it :frowning:

I looked at the data, based on magnitude it was definitely a major one, the “significance” variable is fortunately lower - i.e. it hit less populated areas. I can imagine an EQ of 7.3 hitting a major city would be an absolute disaster.

Several buoys around Australia and New Zealand detected the tsunami/sea level change also. See the ones that are flashing yellow in the following link.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=20.000000&lon=-120.000000&zoom=2&type=h&status=r&pgm=Tsunami&op=&ls=false

Hi

This is what we picked up on our seismic instruments here in Cheddleton UK
sorry about the quality of the image I’m struggling to get it down in size to upload

interesting

some amazing photos coming out of damage to roads etc

good photos here
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11748647&ref=NZH_FBpage

Great pictures Brian.

I was glad to see that the cows were rescued :slight_smile:

but now the vegan group wants though cows to spend the rest of their days in a sanctury
good luck finding out which cows they were, after they have joined the herd…lol

the quake has been revised up to a 7.8 now
just seen footage showing where the road /land has been lifted 4 metres…in like a step up…leaving the railway line in mid air to get to the new level even!

roadlift.png

better photo!

roadlift2.png