Wind direction popup on mouseover

This is probably something I should have seen ages ago. Anyway…

When I mouseover my wind direction gauge the popup shows the data plus the text Metar followed by a string of numbers and letters which change on each update. How is this being generated as it is not there in the customclientraw file? You can see what happens here.

Stuart

I think thats cause you have metar enabled in the steel gauges settings??

I have looked but so far not found an appropriate setting. Do you know where it is?

Stuart

Erm… looking now, mine is built in to a template so bear with lol

Sorry Stuart, i aint got a clue, its not all straight forward, i.e. no settings file that i can see, someone
with more power than i have should be along soon

Just a thought, is it pulling it from your settings.php?

My pages dont use a settings.php file at all, so no.

Stuart

I don’t (currently) provide a switch for the METAR string. It shows if you enable display of the wind variation.

If you want to remove it, then the ‘standard’ gauges.js script I supply would have to be modified, just remove “ssGauge.VRB” from the code creating the pop-up…

In singleDir() change…

if (ddimgtooltip.showTips) {
                        // update tooltip
                        tip = strings.latest_title + ' ' + strings.bearing_info + ': ' + cache.valueLatest + '

Thanks Mark.

The thing which made me question it is that it seems to be a string of meaningless characters. Can you explain what this string represents and why you decided to use it please?

Stuart

Its the Metar data, below is an example of one,

METAR: KDDC 071452Z AUTO 21004KT 7SM BKN004 BKN041 OVC055 12/12 A3014 RMK AO2 SLP201 T01220117 53014

What all that means is this (you can match it up to see)

Temperature: 12.2

That’s interesting Bashy but the text string appended to the word METAR on my popups looked nothing like that, and if it is an example of what a METAR string should be from my site then way have it on the Wind Direction popup only.

Stuart

It just shows the sub-set of a full METAR string relating to the wind strength/direction only. From memory the format is dddssGgg fffVttt
where…
ddd = current wind direction in degrees
ss = current wind speed
G - gust information follows
gg = latest gust speed

second string is variation in direction in last 10 minutes…

fff = from direction in degrees
V - varying to…
ttt = to direction in degrees

Thanks for the explanation Mark. To be honest I’m glad I turned it off since it would be likely to not be understood by many using the site.

Stuart

So do I, so I have updated the script so that string is now disabled by default, and there is a config item for switching it back on.