Overnight WDFTP failure locking computer

Upgraded to Windows 10 and latest version of WD last week. Been running with that setup for about 10 days. Twice I have had the internet portion of WD hang up and basically lock up the computer. The computer is still running, and so is WD, but this morning I had 45+ instances of WDFTP and Wunderground update running in the task window. Both times I am unable to open Task Manager to close them out, and have to turn off the computer completely to be able to fix it. For the most part everything is running fine, but this is now twice that I have had this issue.

Adding to this, I installed the latest version of WD over the last version. Now on computer restarts, WD does not start when Windows starts. Launch when Windows starts is set to yes. I looked at the msconfig file and there are two entries listed. I disabled the entry for the old exe file but it still does not open.

Also, the temperature font size and color on the current conditions window keeps reverting back to how I had it in the previous version. I have changed it every time I restart WD, but it does not stick on restart. I am thinking there is an INI file that is causing this, but not sure.

I some times get lost internet connection, but I have not had the problem of hung ftp programs myself
and I have only seen a couple of reports of this problem
so not easy to diagnose
you could use the older ftp version
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/ftpupdold.zip

re WD starting when WD starts up
you could set a windows task to do that
there is a youtube video on how to do that

re the font issue, if you could .zip and email me your settings files, after setting it, and I will check

I sent the ini files to you.

I also downloaded the older ftp program. It may be an issue with losing connection, as it only happens in the early morning. Not sure though.

Brian, I was just about to post on this very same topic. Today I had 84 instances of wdftp running. I was able to close them all through task manager, but my computer had slowed to a crawl to it took a while. WD has been stable for YEARS, and this problem has just started on it’s own. I also am running on windows 10, the current version 10.37Rb69

Edit: The old version of ftp seems to have fixed it.

Same issue here.

PC runs for a couple of days but then locks up

Hello.

This keeps happening - I am using the old FTP uploader as suggested for the time being.

Any news on a fix?

I don’t get several versions of the FTP running like others have, but around midnight it locks the computer (usually after running for two days).

Restarting the various components of Weather Display doesn’t fix the issue and I have to reboot the PC.

I was hoping that this issue had been resolved because I am experiencing very similar issues with Weather Watch (Ver. 10.37R Build 57) locking up, resulting in the need for a forced reboot of my laptop.

I have not specifically pinpointed the cause to multiple ftp uploads (and don’t think this is the cause), but the the described Weather Display “lock-up” is similar. Weather Display is locking up, on average, once every one to two days. I’m sure that Weather Display is the culprit of the system lockup because Cumulus continues to receive and display data from the logger. When this occurs, I am unable to shut down Weather Display with Task Manager and am must reboot. After several of the force reboots, the Weather Display station settings are lost and must be re-entered.

I’m using:

Windows 10 laptop
Prolific USB-to-Serial driver ser2pl64.sys (Version 3.3.2.105) 10/27/2008

Startwatch
VSPE (Virtual Serial Ports Emulator) Com3->Com6
Weather Display Ver. 10,37R Build 57
Cumulus

I recently upgraded my weather dedicated laptop to a Windows 10 laptop, transferred my old Weather Display, and then upgraded Weather Display to a much more recent version. This upgrade to Windows 10 has been more than difficult. First, I have an Prolific USB to Serial cable that apparently has an older chipset, so the newer Windows 10 drivers prevented communication between the console and PC. I installed a very old Prolific driver from 10/27/2008 to work with the old chipset, but Windows 10 updated it automatically on its next update. I’ve finally forced Windows to stop all updates to “solve” this issue. Second, it was tricky to disable log-in at boot up. I had to disable my microsoft account login and use a local user set-up to allow the laptop to restart and launch automatically into Windows and load Startwatch, the virtual port emulator, and the weather programs.

Any guidance is appreciated. Weather Display would run for months at a time on my old Windows 7 laptop. Unfortunately, it died and I am forced to use Windows 10 now.

Thanks,

Mike L.
Cypress, TX
www.cypresstexasweather.com

I recommend to use the latest version
some good bug fixes recently :slight_smile:

Brian,

I missed your recommendation for the installing the latest version. I’ll do so tomorrow and report back regarding the results.

Thank you,

Mike L.
Cypress, TX

I'll do so tomorrow and report back regarding the results.

I’ll update at some stage too and keep an eye.

I installed an began running Weather Display version 10.37S39 this evening and it has been running for a couple of hours. I’ll re-post tomorrow and on-ward regarding the stability on my machine.

I also called Davis Instruments and ordered a new USB-to-Serial data logger cable with the new chip-set that is compatible with the latest Windows 10 drivers from SILabs. I suspect that a communications error between the console and laptop is a cause of my lock-up issues with Weather Display, but cannot confirm this. With the new cable, I’ll be able to use the most recent drivers, rather than forcing my old cable chipset to use old drivers from 2008. It’s a crap shoot, but the cable cost $20 from Davis, so it is worth the try.

Hopefully, the combination of installing the latest WD update will solve the issue. If not, I’ll be trying the new USB-to-Serial cable when it arrives.

Mike L.
Cypress, TX
www.cypresstexasweather.com

that sounds like a problem that is not related to this thread
I would try though putting tin foil around the plugs at each end of the USB cable
also make sure windows is not power down the usb (selective power setting…I do have a youtube video about that)

the ftpupd.exe failure some users are getting is related to the weather report email send by the looks
and must depend on your email server type and settings etc
investigating

use this new update

http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/ftpupd.zip

vers

I was using the wrong ssl start mode
for the #2 weather report setup

Bryan,

It is unclear who you are replying to in the response that you gave, above . . . but I suspect that it was me who mentioned that I was upgrading my data logger cable one with a Windows 10 compatible chip-set in hopes that it would resolve my issues with Weather Display locking-up on my Windows 10 installation.

Please note that upgrading from Weather Display 10.37S Build 33 (December 9, 2016) to Weather Display 10.37S Build 39 (January 3, 2017) has seemed to resolved my issues with lock-up of Weather Display.

I have not received or installed my new data logger cable with the new chip set, so this is not an issue beyond the fact that I had to force Windows 10 not to upgrade this specific driver due to it’s legacy status.

Whatever you did between 10.37S Build 33 and Build 39 seems to have resolved the WD lock-up problem. and it has nothing to do with tin-foil or cables.

Mike L
Cypress, TX

if you had setup to use the weather report #2 setup
then that was causing a problem with those being sent by the ftpupd.exe program, which I did fix