Saratoga - Weird symbols displayed in stats own page

Hi, I’m working on an Indoor Stats page and am getting some very strange symbols and I don’t know why. For example, when I use a %temp% tag and enter a degree symbol with a capital C (

That symbol is the UTF-8 character set marker. The Saratoga templates use ISO-8859-1 characters (plain ascii).

When you mix character sets, you get the strange characters. Instead of using the degree sign character, use the HTML entity ° instead.

Save any pages you edit using plain ASCII/ANSI not UTF-8 before you upload, then it should appear ok.

In my meta tags I have defined the charset as ISO-8859-1, but the characters are still the same. I’m editing the file with Notepad++.

charset.png

I sort of see what my problem is/was. I was editing the file in Notepad++ but the encoding was set to UTF-8-BOM instead of ANSI. I switched it to ANSI and although that cleared up the weird symbol at the top of my page under the title, it still hasn’t cleared up the character between the number and degree symbol.

Got it! After I converted the file to an ANSI file in Notepad++ it converted the non-UTF-8 characters to characters I could see, but had to remove them from the HTML. I simply removed them, re-saved, and re-uploaded the file, and it’s all good now!