Wind Gust

I appreciate that someone posted this a while back, but they got no response.

Is there a Wind GUST gauge as well as windspeed?

Many thanks.

you could actually create one…
just copy the code that is already there for the average wind speed
and name all the variables differently for a different gauge name etc
and then hook it into “wlatest” (which is the gust speed)

Hmm - good idea. I had thought of it tbh but was hoping one already existed. Anyway - got to get the thing working first!!

I Have already added a month rain gauge as proof of concept in a test setup, so I know it can be done

when you say got to get working first, what is the problem you are having exactly?

See this thread… http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/62458

I tried to make the individual gauges as modular as I could to make this sort of thing easier. Glad you got it going.

I haven’t yet! Fancy doing the windgust one? :wink:

No time I’m afraid, I can provide pointers if you get stuck, but there are too many demands on my time as it is.

I can do it for you :wink:

Very kind, but right now I’d just settle for my FTP to start working properly again!

hello,

wich code must I copy for creating a windgustgauge and what must I change.
is there a sample of it?

I know nothing about javascripts, so for me isn’t so easy to do this.

Why isn’t yet a gauge for windgust?

Sorry for my bad English.

Greetings,

Bert

The wind gust is displayed on the wind gauge. The pointer is the current value, and the top of the red background sector shows the peak gust in the last 10 minutes (depends on your weather software config), and the red triangle shows the peak gust so far today. I’m not sure what is missing?

i tried to understand to get a seperate windgustgauge but i don’t no wich code i must copy and even what i must do too change before its working.

my question is…is there een easy way to get a windgustgauge and why doesn’t excist such gauge.

greetings,

Bert

Because I cannot see the need, what will it show that the wind speed gauge doesn’t? Just the peak gust value?

you could roll your own gauge…to show what you want…it is possible…I have done that to show extra temperature etc
(there is an older thread about how to do that)

Agreed Brian, quite a few people have rolled their own. What I’d like to know is what data a “gust” gauge would show?

I think what he means is a current (gust) speed gauge as opposed to a average speed gauge
but that default windspeed gauge could be set to use a custom tag from WD that is the gust (current) speed data value anyway instead of the average speed

Ah! I didn’t realise that it was using the average speed for the pointer with WD. #-o

The intent was always to use the “latest” instantaneous value - this is what I set it to do with Cumulus anyway. That is a simple change, it just needs a tweak to the tag file, and is something I will make to the released version. To save me looking it up :wink: What tag should I use to the latest wind speed value?

use
%gstspd% …current/gust wind speed

instead of
%avgspd% …average wind speed (current)

and yes a simple change for anyone …just change %avgspd% to %gstspd% in the customclientrawlocal.txt in the WD clientrawlocation folder (e.g webfiles)

It may be worth to note that the quality of gust values varies depending on the brand/model of weather station.