Raspberry Shake Seismograph

I don’t think it will be sensitive enough to be worthwhile for most people. There are other DIY seismograph projects that can give better results.

When you say not sensitive enough for most people do you mean people not close to a fault lines? This is not a problem I have living in California.

Do you have examples of other kits that will do a better job?

The claim is “about magnitude 2 and higher within a radius of 50 miles, and a magnitude 4 and higher in a radius of 300 miles”. Most of the day to day quakes around CA are around magnitude 2. 50 mi radius from SC is Hayward, not quite to I5 going E, and somewhere S of Salinas. That’s not a lot of coverage. There is maybe one 4.0 or greater in the state each week, but 300 mi only barely gets you to north LA. As I read the information this is not an instrument that is going to show major overseas quakes.

Only you can determine if it’s worthwhile to you. For me, the USGS has great quake data available, and unlike crowd sourced wx networks there’s no microclimate argument to be made, so limited data, limited coverage, and not really a construction project are three strikes.

There was a discussion here about lower cost seismographs which covered quite a few different options. The TC1/Slinky works well and will record distant quakes.

I backed this kickstarter project.

It hopefully will arrive before Christmas.

Our town is virtually on top of active mines. I’m hoping I may be able to pick up these mine blasts.

I’ve been pushed towards Weather Display by a friend. We are currently trying to integrate some grove sensor data into weather display without much luck.

Currently stuck at the data saved to an sql database. Not quite sure the direction to take next. Output to clientraw.txt and import that?

Either way I’m excited to see that I may even be able to incorporate the raspberry shake into Weather Display.

The low sensitivity talk is a little worrying tho #-o

While this is an interesting RasbPi based device (I think it is neat to see new realworld applications of the Pi), for some areas like mine in central Illinois the low sensitivity kind of is a deal breaker. If it were to sound an alarm like a smoke detector (didn’t play the whole video) it would be a bit more interesting. What I am interested is another Davis external box like the external anemometer transmitter that would host a CO2, radiation, air clarity sensor or other, that could be hosted natively by updates to say VWS, WD, Cumulus, etc. I know about some of the weather software having “extra sensors” settings. I am not talking about a self made box for CO2, a box for radiation…etc. but an external box like the Davis anne transmitter where you plug in the additional sensors (hopefully more affordable than the UV) and check a box in WD or VWS or Cumulus to activate and display the data. Davis, OS, Rainwise, etc…ya listening ?

I got my Shake last week and it’s working great. I picked up the 6.5 quake 329 miles from me really well. People reported pickup the 7.8 Solomon Islands quake from thousands of miles away. I had too muck background noise to be sure if I could see it. I need to place the unit someplace with less environment noise. It’s picking up the fames in my PC case and it looks like lots of little quakes when the cats run around the house. #-o

What software does it use? Have you got any images of the quake you picked up
I have two seismic instruments one home-made and one made by rockwave

I was I would be interested in seeing what results you’re getting
mick

I’m currently using the Swarm software. I only look at live data and the few days data that are stored. I had a few screen shots but I think they got lost when I updated my PC. :frowning:

If anyone is interested there is a new Kickstarter campaign for an updated version of the Raspberry Shake.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158786437/raspberry-shake-4d-detect-earthquakes-and-invisibl?ref=user_menu

Just had two small quakes 2.9 and 3.1 18 miles from me and took screenshots of what the Raspberry Shake saw.
The rest of the noise is cars driving down the street and such.

Nice :slight_smile:

Hi all, if you’re interested there are still 2 days to get a Raspberry Shake 4D at a discount through the Kickstarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158786437/raspberry-shake-4d-detect-earthquakes-and-invisibl?ref=discovery

I was surprised to see that I picked up the North Korea nuclear test that was 5424 miles away from me. 8O

8O 8O

Your device caught it, or your app downloaded the data over the internet to display?

Are you picking up any activity from Idaho?

I have Raspberry Shake installed in southern California. I also picked up the North Korean nuclear test. I have attached the waveform picked up the by the Raspberry Shake. The waveform is displayed using the USGS’s swarm software.

I am uploading helicorder info to my website at Chino Hills Raspberry Shake Helicorder

The helicorder info is filtered to lower frequencies to filter out some of the cultural noise (mainly cars driving by).

I have picked up some of the larger Idaho quakes. It is amazing how sensitive the device is.

–Steve

Yes my device caught it, I just use the app to display the data from my station. It’s a bit of work to calculate when the quake will be felt at my location, account for time zones and filter thought my data. The app just makes it easy. :slight_smile:

I think I got the larger one from Idaho but it can be hard to tell some times, I pickup a lot of the city activity in the day time.

It certainly appears to be a lot more sensitive than the spec admits :slight_smile:

I picked up the 8.1 in Mexico really well.

I have been playing with a scrip someone gave me for my website.
http://www.weathercat.net/quake/quakes.php (this may not work in IE11.)

Looks good in Chrome

It appears some data is derived from another source (looking at the sources listed on your page). Would I be correct in assuming all you receive from the RpiShake is the graph shown on your page and all other data, ie. strength and location, you must query other sources to make sense out of what your graph shows? I want to add a seismograph to my setup but not if it’s going to require a lot of my time to make sense of what data I collect.