Text to Speech Version of WXSIM Forecast

Hi,

Added plaintext.txt to Speech to my WXSIM Forecast’s.

Not sure how it functions for other’s, nor what the general feeling is by my doing so.

More about it : http://hrvistaweather.com/weather/wxhrvchat.php#comment-2746026066

Note: Not been tested by anyone other than myself, so may possible be fraught wish issues as I do not have the programming prowess that key players on these forums possess.

Feedback appreciated.

Forgot to mention, there is a nice little scripted prelude leading into the forecast and same post forecast (so worth listening till the end).

regards,

Tony

Worked very well here. Interesting.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Hi MikeyM,

Thanks for taking a look, hope you understood the Aussie Female Accent.

I suppose my idea behind it all was, to click it walk away and make your cup of coffee and Vegemite on toast while listening to it, rather than looking at the detail on the screen wishing you had the later.

I am still sure it’s not foul proof and no where near polished, but just wanted to put the concept up for discussion / input / enhancement / etc.

regards,

Tony I did take a listen and yes it worked fine. My issue with all this stuff is that the intonation usually goes awry at some point and distracts me from listening to the information and yes that happened a couple of times. I have not played with this stuff and have no practical experience or advice to help, but it is an interesting concept. I must say the accent was not an issue it was the intonation and pauses in what felt like the wrong place. Maybe trying to break up the text file differently might help but I’ just guessing here.

Stuart

A male voice version.

http://www.celin-web.com/wdisplay/wxsim.php

Marian
:slight_smile:

Hi Stuart and Marian,

Appreciate response: Yes Stuart agree with all you comments, I did try to eliminate all white space (period/full stop/commas etc) though found it so quick, that it lost where it was at without the punctuation.

I did however find and remove a few missed white spaces (where there were two rather than one) though it still does at times pause too long for no real reason. (maybe network)

It was always just a play with thing to see what could be achieved, Marian - did not realise it had been done already, though you are using what looks like a conversion to mp3, this uses whatever text is thrown at it basically.

I have modified the way it (functions/is displayed) etc, though still really a test in progress which I may just delete in time.

New access to it is via links to popup page from main page : Header on all pages (AUDIO FORECAST) and in Dashboard (Audio) as depicted below.
You can now also change the Voice/Language Type, but default I have set to Australian Female.

Links are also on the WSXIM 3in1 and Text Forecast pages.

On the Text Forecast page https://southfranklinweather.com/weather/wxsimforecast.php I added (just to play with) the ability for user to click drag mouse over desired part or full portion of the forecast and it will automatically be read out (another feature of responsiveVoice.js
The interesting part with this is that Ken’s Plain-Text-Parser has already removed all white space issues and as it is (page displayed) in a table it flows more fluently.
I may when not extremely snowed under with work - look at a stripped down version of Plain-Text-Parser to use by default, as the additional bonus is that the parser has some fluffy bits the original plaintext.txt does not, like High 10 (degree symbol) C which is read by the .js as High 10 Degrees Celsius, rather than just (High 10). This I thought was good as when listening to the plaintext.txt version it contains no C or F.

So for now I’ll leave it as is and decide whether play with it more or when time may permit, ditch it.

Thanks again,

Tony I just listened to both versions and the one I get with the mouse over the forecast text is in my opinion a huge improvement over the other one, it flows much better and just sounds right.

I do think this is a worthwhile experiment and hope you find time to continue and eventually post some information of how to do it.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Sorry late response, I don’t envisage getting around to enhancing it in the short term (too busy), however when I get a chance next weekend I’ll email you what I have now.

regards,

Hi Stuart, sorry time limited, trying again to attach zip file for voice script, re the email I sent earlier your provider rejected it.
So hopefully this works. Context in the email.
regards,

rvc.zip (11.3 KB)

Tony yes they are particularly careful, however I am able to ask for the attachment to be sent to me by them as they keep stuff like this for a while just in case it’s a false positive which is what I did.

Stuart

Greetings Tony

Following your example, I installed the forecast spoken on my page:

[http://kocher.es/previsiones_nuevo.php](http://kocher.es/previsiones_nuevo.php)

The only language that does not work, is the French

Thank you very much for your work :smiley:

Greetings from San Sebastian (Spain)