leaf and wetness sensor... and dew

Hi,
At this time I make some researchs on roofing materials and condensation for my PHD.
I have to choose a station, because we’ll have to correlate our results with meteo data. I think that Davis offers good solutions. Indeed they propose the leaf and wetness sensor that could be interresting for me.

I want to know more on this sensor, if somebody use it.
Is it a good mean to quantify dew and condensation? What is the precision of the 0-15 range? And in dry periods (without rain) does it have problems of saturation (to many time logged to 15) or with tiny values (long to log 1)?

So what do you think of the resolution, range and accuracy of this sensor, is it pertinent? Do you heard something on an alternative solution?

I thank you by advance and for the interrest of this site too.

Owen

I use a Davis wireless soil / leaf wetness station with my set up.

The leaf wetness sensor is very quick to respond, even after long periods of wet or dry weather.

The only problem I have with mine is birds like to poo on it, which is quickly sorted with a damp cloth. I think it would be excellent for detecting condensation.

With the arrival of the Davis VP2 imminent, you should be able to pick up some cut price VP1 equipment (don’t forget none of the VP1 remote stations will work with the VP2 though)

Thanks,

Can I put this flat sensor horizontaly (not tilted) in order to have data I could compare, whatever the wind direction?

yes,

I thought I read somewhere it has to be angled to allow excess water to run off???