flat lining

Hi,

I have just moved over to a relatively new windows 10 laptop (8 GB of RAM). Its a Lenovo. I am on version 13 of weather display and I am periodically getting flat lines in the data. WD has gone for about 4.5 days in between flat lines, but it is now flat lining in about 10 minutes.

As far as I know I have all the power saving settings correct:

• PC never to sleep
  • hard disk never to sleep
  • USB selective suspend disabled
  • power saving not turned on in any of the USB ports in device manager

I also have WD set to reboot after 10 mins of no data being received but this doesn’t seem to happen. There are no message in the debug window or programme error log. When it does flat line the green “data received” box doesn’t flash and the data received count doesn’t increase.

WD was so stable on my old netbook, so assume there is something in the new laptop causing the problem.

I hope someone can help.

Paul

Update:

Just found that in device manager COM port 3 was enabled for “allow computer to turn off this device to save power”. I have now clicked this option off and hope that this will help. I am running a Davis VP2 with USB logger. COM port 3 is the port used to connect to the logger via the Silabs USB to UART bridge driver.

Is there any reason why the laptop would decide to power down the COM port after 4.5 days, and if it did would this cause my flat line?

Paul

I have a youtube video about windows power settings, which covers this and another USB power setting

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this. I had those settings already made and it’s still flat lining. The data count doesn’t increase. Is there anything else it could be causing the issue.

I have WD set to restart if no data is received for 10 mins but this doesn’t seem to have happened when the flatline occurs. Is there any reason why it wouldn’t restart? I didn’t have WD set to restart in control panel under FTP and connections and reboot/restart. I now have that function enabled.

I know it will be something to do with the laptop/W10 I just don’t know what…

Paul

I am not sure if that setting works (in the setup, advanced/misc)
but I could look into it

what type of data logger do you have?

Brian,

If you could have a look into the reboot after no data received for 10 mins setting that would be great. I have a Davis vp2 usb logger.

Thanks so much

Paul

I do suggest that some reason your windows 10 is powering down your usb
you really need to stop that happening
(getting WD to restart is not real solution I would have thought)

just to prove things you could run the tried and proven WD build 81

Brian,

Totally agree that I really need to stop the USB from powering down, but I dont have a clue why it is happening, especially when I have told it not to!

Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing the power down? Could be total co-incidence, but one of the flat lines occured at exactly the same time that I copied across files to dropbox and googledrive via windows explorer?

Whilst I am trying to isolate the problem would be great if you could get the reboot/restart option working.

Paul

I have checked the code and you have set to reboot if not data
then that is what should happen
(via the reboot32.exe program (you could see if that actually works on windows 10 though)…and WD should exit in any case)
but maybe there is still data arriving…but its not vaild data…from the data logger

Brian,

I am at work at the moment, but will check that reboot32.exe is working OK on my machine. I guess data could still be received. The green heart beat does not flash and the data received count doesn’t increase.

I have done a google search of “causes of USB power down” and all I seem to be able to find are numerous articles on how to disable USB selective suspend. No clues so far as to why that is not working despite being set on the laptop. Any suggestions most welcome.

Paul

Brian,

Just got home from work and checked reboot32.exe and can confirm that it does work. When I clicked it the laptop immediately restarted and then re-loaded WD. I have WD set to reboot the no data received for 10 mins.

Paul

I could add in some debug re the reboot if no data
to see what is happening in our situation

actually this setting would be easy for anyone to test…
by setting it, then pulling the plug to their weather station
I have to head out today, but I will run that test here now

ran a test here
WD closed
but the pc did not reboot , as I suspect that on W10 , reboot32.exe run from another program might not have had the admin privaledges to do that

Have you checked all the advanced power options? There are some others in there like power down the hard drive and PCI that aren’t WD friendly.

Also check the event log, it may identify the problem.

All,

Thanks for testing the reboot32.exe. It sounds like it might not work as expected on a W10 machine?

I have checked all the power settings and they all seem ok i.e. hard drive not to go to sleep, hibernate switched off etc. I checked the PCI one, and that setting is on OFF under “linked state power management”. Is that correct?

I have found the event log, but not sure what to search for. There are 2 entries for the SILABS driver?

Paul

All,

Flat lining still continues every few days. I have noticed today that one of them occurred when I copied over my weather display folder to dropbox and google drive.

Another one occurred today when I was not doing anything on the machine. I left it for 10 mins to see if it would re start and it didn’t reboot despite being set to. The data received number didn’t increment up, but new enticed in the log file (62016.lg) were created whilst it was flat lining, which were obviously identical for each parameter.

I did notice that weather display seemed to be running very slow. Icons were slow to respond when clicked and the time was not moving, and then jumping in 3-5 second intervals.

Nothing in any of the log (programme log, debug, or even the windows event log).

I am at a loss as to why this is happening?

Paul

re the reboot32.exe and W10
you could set a task scheduler short cut to run that
named reboot32.exe
that WD runs (and you rename reboot32.exe)
or set the permission on reboot32.exe to run as admin?

when the com port connection is lost, that will make WD run slow

maybe there is some other software that accessing/blocking , or similar, the com port
next time it happens, are you able to get WD to reconnect to the com port (e.g in the com port setup)

Brian,

I have set reboot32.exe to run as administrator. Will check to see if I can reconnect to comm 3 next time it flatlines.

Messing around with copying files to googledrive/dropbox definitely seems to cause the flatline, si I have disabled those 2 drives/apps. I don’t know why they would cause a flatline but have disabled just incase.

Paul