embedding mp4 videos

Again, I’m beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to display the videolastday.mp4, videolasthour.mp4 and yesterday.mp4 on my weather website. I can’t get anything to work. It’s frustrating because I don’t see any clear, step by step directions on how to do this. However, I can go to some great WD Demo websites and see it being done.

I even bought the Flowplayer 6.05 HTML5 player, but it’s confusing and although I followed their “quick start” instructions, all I get on the page is a notice that “the http://pslweather.com/videolastday.mp4 file cannot be found.” All of the .mp4 files are definitely there on my host server at GoDaddy in the public_html directory.

Can anyone please help me get these movies on my website with some code that works? I have both FrontPage and Dreamweaver software. Or is there someone I could pay to work up a webpage for me?

This shouldn’t be this difficult.

Thanks,
David

When I clicked on the link to your MP4 video (http://pslweather.com/videolastday.mp4) it said it can’t be played because the file is corrupt, and that’s not going through any player, so I would check the video on the server first and make sure it will play.
If the player is saying it can’t find the video file then check that you have the correct address for the file in the script.

It also helps if you post a link to the web page you’re asking about so we can have a look, as it can sometimes be fixed with a simple change to one line of coding. :wink:

You might try using FLV for now. I just tried using the MP4 today to test also after updating WD last week from an older version.
I have never managed to get the MP4 to work. I can view it locally ok. The file WD makes seems to not work with all the players for viewing on the site, shows that its a corrupt file.
It should play with simple HTML5 but it will not.

Here is a player to try if it works for you. Simple code.
I can get it to work with other MP4 on or off my site but not the one from WD.

I would really like to change over to MP4 but for now flv works.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

I use JWPLayer, very simple to embed and works ok, I upload my files to my web host and point JWplayer to them.

Yes, I was in the middle of moving my video files when you probably tried it on my website. If you try again, you’ll see the videos http://pslweather.com/videolastday.mp4 and yesterday.mp4 I’ve also managed to upload the two mp4 videos to JWplayer that are on my website and they work fine. using the JWplayer script for uploaded videos. But, when I tried to select the JWplayer option on their website for “Adding a Video URL” and then click on “embed”, a window comes up that says “Error loading media: File could not be played”. I don’t understand why since the link is the same http://pslweather.com/videolastday.mp4 .

I could manually upload my video files everyday if I had no life, :roll: but I’d really like to find a way to display these mp4 videos and have them auto-updated. WD does a nice job of FTPing them to my website, but getting them to actually play is apparently beyond my capabilities. I’ve read the JWplayer instructions over and over and I’m obviously missing something. I just want some html code or script that will use the local jwplayer files on my server to play the videos. Sometimes there are so many options and ways to configure things that it just all becomes a jumble in my head.

I’ve also tried Wecam7 Pro and although I do get the video feed from my IP camera, I cannot figure out how to make an animated movie and automatically upload it to my website via ftp. I also tried FlowPlayer and got absolutely no where with it.

I see all of the beautiful weather websites with terrific time-lapse videos and really want mine to look nice too. I can do html, but I sure need some help (simple) with these movie files (videolastday.mp4, yesterday.mp4, etc).

Thanks,
David

David,

I know what your dealing with, I would like the mp4 to work but it will not work for me and has not for years. WD is formatting it wrong compared to the standards for mp4.
The JW player will not work for me as I really prefer not to buy it and the free one will stop at a bandwidth point point or maybe I do not understand it fully.
I get heavy traffic on my site so any cap on the player will not work for my video.
So I just stick with the flv file and the flowplayer for now. Locally you can play flv files with the VLC player (free).

David,

Check the setting in video source that the correct file type is selected, if you get stuck I can help as I’ve only recently had to get back onto JWplayer to add a new camera.

Ian

Well, after spending many many hours trying to get my mp4 videos to show up on my website, I have finally found the reason I always got a window that says “Error loading media: File could not be played”. Being a new WD user, there may be some error that I caused when setting up WD, but I followed the instructions and youTube video.

Like I said previously, I tried many different scripts, html code, Web7 Pro, Flowplayer, etc without any luck. The only way I could get the videos to show up on my website was if I uploaded them to JWplayer and used the generated script on my page.

Last night I tried one last thing by downloading Handbrake encoding software. I entered the WD encoded videolastday.mp4 file into it and it encoded a new mp4 file that works perfectly on my website. Apparently, the problem was with the mp4 file that WD is making. But, like I said, it could be some setting I messed up. Obviously some of you are successfully using the mp4 that’s encoded by WD, but it wouldn’t work for me. I’m using the latest version of WD.

Thanks…David

Ian…since I see on your website that your webcam videos are working great and if you’re successfully using JWplayer to point to the mp4 files on your website’s server, would you be so kind as to do some screen captures of some your Weather Display pages? Specifically, the “WebCam Video Setup”, the “New All Day Video Setup”. Also, the Web Cam Capture pages, including “Capture Settings”, “Network Streaming”, and “Video Settings”.

Since WD’s mp4 rendering is not working for me when I try pointing to the mp4 file on my website, apparently you’ve found the correct settings that JWplayer video URL will use. On the Video Settings page, which Video Renderer did you select (VMR9, VMR7, Standard, None)? On the Capture Settings window, did you specify a Preferred Video Size?

If you can do these screen captures it would really be helpful and I would buy you a six pack of your favorite beverage! :smiley:

Thanks,
David

@K4ZZR Would be nice if you could post a link, or add your website url to your forum profile, so that we can see these videos.

Use the flv file type, turn off the mp4 creation.
Use flowplayer on the site works good and simple to setup for FLV. Locally use VLC player.

http://www.josephoregonweather.com/daymovie.php
The video is jumpy (not due to its a FLV file) due to the newest WD program has a bug where it skips saving some of the 10 second images.

I would also prefer the MP4 but its not getting encoded properly in WD for years as I found and stated in the past posts.

there is no need to keep on saying this

I would also prefer the MP4 but its not getting encoded properly in WD for years as I found and stated in the past posts.
I saw that the first time the problem I lost the code in the hard drive crash I had for movie maker

have you though tried the setting that Ian posted, in JWplayer

Sorry, my intent was not to upset.

what would be good to know if has anyone tried Ian’s suggestion

Brian…yes, I have been in touch with Ian and he’s been a great help. With his advice, I’m successfully using the program IPtimelapse to make my MP4 videos now and using JWplayer to link them to my website. Works great. Now I have a yesterday video and a today video. I still have some tweaking to do because the videos are a bit jerky right now.

There’s always a learning curve and it takes me some time to investigate, read and digest everything before I finally get it right. I’ve turned off the WD mp4 encoder for now and will just use the IPtimelapse program and JWplayer which work perfectly on all browsers including Apple IOS ipads and iphones.

A BIG thanks to Ian for his help!

David

ok, so it was not that Ian was making the WD movie maker created .mp4 videos working with jwplayer, but that you are using a different program to create the videos

I do have some source code , that I had for the Mac version, of movie maker
so I could update to the latest component I use and do a test with the supplied sample program and see if the created .mp4 video is correct format
good idea?

Ohhh yes please Brian.

Brian,

I would be happy to help test on my system for you if needed.

OK, its working, using the latest version of the component (I will need to re purchase an updated license though)
and using a libx264 switch

(uses jwplayer , html code:

<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<title>Video Html 5 Browser</title>

<!-- JW Player Script -->

<script src="http://jwpsrv.com/library/FfMxTl3oEeSEiiIACxmInQ.js"></script>
html,body { height:100%; width:100%; padding:0; margin:0; } #mediaplayer{height:100%;width:100%; padding:0; margin:0;}
<div id="mediaplayer"></div>
)

actually I did have that libx264 switch in use I am sure
so I wonder if I just need to update the .dll files used with the original movie maker
I will test that
update. no that did not work…as I did not actually have the libx264 switch in the input options (you can see those in the moviemaker log)
(although I was playing around with that option just before I lost the code)
update: I have found some back up code (from 2010) for moviemaker, so that is a good start