[SOLVED] WH3080 connection frozen

It’s best to ask here: I have the brand new WH3080 for 10 days now. It happened 2 times that the data recorded by the WD just froze (keep some values) but the WD obviously thought everything is OK and filled the data file with same values. The base unit of course refreshed the data at its own interval. After going crazy, I shut down the base unit (batteries out) and after restart, the data in WD was refreshed OK.

Is it possible that the base unit fails to send fresh data or it might be related to WD somehow? Anyone observed this problem? It is quite nasty since it logs incorrect data and spoils all the statistics, plots, database, etc.
Thanks.

did you restart WD when you reset the base unit or was it just the resetting of the base unit that got it working?

I had the same problem, but for some reason it stopped doing it for the last 6-7 weeks. A couple of things I did that might help you out:

• Move the base unit as far away from the PC monitor as possible.
  • Don’t use batteries, just plug it in the usb and it will use that power to work.

I don’t believe that the software has anything to do with it.

I’m not sure… I think I closed WD and started again after reconnection. Today I reboot my laptop first but did not help until base unit reset.

Virtuosofriend: I did it exactly as you said -removed the batteries and it worked on USB power since the last few days. I also thought batteries caused these problems :slight_smile: I’ll try to keep it away from the laptop.

you could also try adding tin foil around the usb connections

Interesting… what do you suspect the problem could be? I’m really curious :slight_smile:
My computer is a small Asus eeePC. The base station is very close to it, indeed (1 cm).

I have made a change in the latest WD .zip update that might help

To report back: it happened again today. I reset the base unit first with WD running. It did not recover. Then I restarted WD and it started logging correct data.
This problem is worse than if it did not log at all. I’m having my database filled with completely wrong data! Is it possble to erase the database for limited time and load the data from the base unit’s internal storage?
My build is of May11 (immediately after you reported here).

I put the base unit away from the laptop for about 0.5m.

I suspect the problem might be due to when I made the routine to get the data into a thread
I could make it not a thread to see if that fixes it (like it used to be)

I have no opinion to this until I test. I just wonder why other users don’t see the issue.
You said you could make it out of thread like it used to be - when? Few weeks ago or more? I did have this problem since I bought the WH3080 (May1, 2016).
Is there any debug info I could see or a way to check if the connection is working fine?

I had put it into a thread in a version from 12th april
as per the software history page
build 11 now has the data read routine not in a thread (like it originally used to be), ready to download now

Thanks Brian and sorry to keep complaining. I hope you understand this is a real problem. If it was something cosmetic, I wouldn’t bother or complain but this affects the essential functionality.
I will install and see. I guess it takes ~4 days to come up.

It is even worse #-o
Few hours and again frozen! Very disappointing. It seems I will either change the software or the weather station :frowning:

one thing to check is to make sure windows is not set to power down the USB
you could also test the much older build 81 from the download page

I checked the USB settings the first thing even before installing the weather station (saw advice on this forum).
I will go for the older build. Apart from WD, I also wonder if the weather station itself is misbehaving. I don’t know where to start investigating. Can I run Easyweather in parallel to WD?

… and this might be the explanation: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1931.0

Brian, is there any way the WD gets this solution implemented? Or shall I request a new station instead?

that thread relates to a mac though
and I thought you said that it was not a problem with the console (i.e restarting got the data flowing again)…or?

hmmm… you are right. It was only one time I was at my PC when this happened. I did not compare the “frozen” with actual data (on the console) so I’m not 100% sure. Other times I was away (TeamViewer access) and asked my relatives to reset the console. Before today’s reset, I shut down the WD and started the Easyweather which was not able to connect either. That proved to me that it could be hardware-related problem. It was confusing the WD latches the last good data and logs it as everything was OK. But it seems the USB (console?) is stuck.

I googled more and found Cumulus and another software (don’t remember which) has a workaround implemented for ‘USB lockup’ issue.

Only console restart made the data flowing again.

OK, so it was not necessarily related to the change in WD adding the data read routine to a thread
and looks more like its a lock up of the usb on the console

I have seen the suggested solutions to try and read the data when the console is not writing to its memory
I would need to check the time on the console is the console time does not match the pc time

is there info in some of those threads about what times to avoid when reading the data on the console?

They were mentioning an interval of 48 seconds. I have no experience with this, however, this is the refresh interval (also specs say it). Data storage can be configured from 5-240min. I had set it to 5 so far but changed to 240. But I don’t know if you have to avoid data refresh time or data storage time.