WS-1001 data direct to WD?

Question to Ruben Perez
did you do any firmware update on the weather station?
(e.g update the firmware via the SD card) at all?
as I cant get any data to flow to your software direct (or my test program)

I am not sure, I think that I tested if the IP Observer had the last Aercus soft, but the only thing it really needs is the possibility to change destination IP and port for “WU” packets. IP Observer firmware update is done through the “web interface”.

Have you checked port, IP, firewall, etc.? I am supposing that you have changed the IP destination on a “.ini” file on console, isn’t it?

We can do some more test if you put some IP of my computer so I can try to read the packets with debugger, or tool like Wireshark (this better not to talk here, with e-mail :slight_smile: ).

Ruben

yes, I add to ther server.ini file a custom config , and set the IP address as that as the pc
even the easy weather software is not working on the remote pc I have access to (windows xp)

Then seem some problem with station software… Have you checked if the station is still sending packets to WU? In this case, the change on .ini has no effect :frowning:

You can “check” what is sending the station, if it is connected to the same network that the PC where you install it, using Wireshark software, but I can’t do from here, all must be in the same network.

Ruben

yes, it sends to WU OK
I am thinking it might need a firmware update

Maybe, do you know which firmware version it has?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk

i did gleam that info from what is in the in file on the actual server folder (when connected via USB)
it was something like 3.14 from memory…at the time I decided it was newer than the version that was needed for getting data to the easy weather software…but maybe still needs updating
not something I can do remotely

I am hoping for some help getting a Digitech XC0422 station working. This appears to be a rebadged Ambient Weather WS-1001. I have updated the firmware successfully using the Ambient Weather WS-1001 firmware to 2.4.1 and all works well with the weather station, including uploads to Ambient Weather, WU and locally to a PC to Easy Weather IP, which all works perfectly. But I am having problems with WD.

From reading this thread, if I have understood correctly, it appears that WD is supposed to support this station “directly” by checking the “Use via Wifi Direct (easiest)” checkbox, which if I have understood should allow the data to be collected by WD directly from the console (mine being a WS-1001 with a console), with no USB, other web server scripts or modifying setting on the station etc. This sounds perfect, however, it does not seem to work.

If I use wireshark to see how Easy Weather IP gets the data collected, it seems it is as follows :-

1. PC broadcasts UDP port 6000 to the local network.
  2. WS-1001 sends back UDP packet to the PC with source of 6000, and destination port being the the source port the PC used to send the broadcast in step 1. This packet has the WS-1001 IP and mac address.
  3. Console then establishes TCP connection to PC with destination port of 6500. I assume this is used for the data transfer

Issue with WD, nothing seems to happen when I setup up “Use via Wifi Direct (easiest)” checkbox. If I use Wireshark to see if anything is happening on the network, there does not seem to be any traffic to/from the WS-1001 IP address, port 6000, or port 6500. So it seems WD is not even trying to establish any connection.

I have tried on Win 7 and Win 10 PC with same result.

What am I missing? Do I have something misconfigured? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you do not have usb, then make sure to not use that option
post a screen shot of your settings in WD

I am not using USB, and don’t have that checked. Though I did try this unsuccessfully on Win10. But I suspect that Win 10 does not support connecting this weather station to USB, because lack of support in Win 10 for WinCE which means I don’t get to see the files. I did try with USB in Win 7 to confirm if this is Win 10 issue, and it seemed to work with Win 7. However, I need to get this going on Win 10 PC, so thus wanting to go the direct access approach.

See attached settings.

I am not sure that this will be due to Windows 10. There aren’t any reason that your WS connect to Windows 7 and not to Windows 10, it will connect to both without problem, or the reason maybe other than this. I have searched on Internet and other people haven’t any problem to connect Ambient Weather WS-1001 with USB to Windows 10. Maybe you have some drivers issue or maybe cable or connector.

You can check this: Connect and open Device Manager (right button on Windows Icon on menu bar, and the 6 item on the list). See on Device Manager what appears, because maybe when you connect apear some device with exclamation mark. If this happens, maybe is a driver issue.

Other thing that you can try is capture the packets using my program, the same method as I use for my IP OBSERVER clone that not has console. You only need to change the WU server address.

Ruben

@swainstm
I do have a test program to check on the direct IP connection
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/testmulticast.zip

Thanks Brian. Your program gave me a clue to what I believe is the cause of the problem. I have VM Workstation installed, and that installs a couple of virtual network adapters. When you “Testmulticast” tool came up, it auto selected the IP of 1 of these adapters, and of course nothing came back. If I change the IP address to the IP address of my LAN adapter, it all started working. So this gave me a clue, that maybe WD is selecting 1 of these Virtual adapters rather than the LAN adapter. To test the theory, I disabled these virtual adapters, and bang WD started working (once I added a rule to the McAfee Firewall to let the traffic back in).

This is ok, as a test workaround, but I need to try to get this working together if I can. So is there a way or tell WD which adapter to use, or can that option be added?

Thanks heaps.

Matthew

Thanks Ruben for the thoughts. I believe the Windows 10 issue is because I think to connect the Win CE device (ie WS-1001) you need “Windows Mobile Device Center” which I found some information that support for this has been depreciated in Win 10?? I think there might be some people who have worked around this (eg https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32052429/how-to-connect-a-windows-mobile-pda-to-windows-10), but in truth if I can get direct access working, it works around this issue, and I can go back to Windows 7 if I need to do a FW upgrade for the device to change things like wireless frequency.

But I am a bit curious if you are aware of Windows 10 people who are connected to the WS-1001 console via USB without all this hassle. Do you know if these people went to the steps above to manually install “Windows Mobile Device Center” or was there a simpler workaround.

BTW, when I plug the device in, the PC beeps with the sound it makes when new device is added, and there is no sign of error. But I also can’t find the device in device manager, and not sure what it should be named or what category it should show up as. I do get a new device called “microsoft” under “Unspecified” category in “Devices and Printers”. If I double click on it, it shows the Hardware as “Microsoft USB Sync” and type “Mobile Devices”. But I can’t see anywhere where this is mounted int he files system that I can browse?? I am guessing this is what I need “Windows Mobile Device Center” for or am I missing something.

Cheers Matthew

So is there a way or tell WD which adapter to use, or can that option be added?
what id I added where you can set the IP address to use (override)?

Yes, some way of overriding WD selecting the wrong interface. I have confirmed with Wireshark capture that WD is trying to find the ws-1001 on the virtual interface (192.168.73.255 in my case which is the virtual interface), and not the LAN interface which is 192.168.10.255.

Thanks heaps.

Well, sorry but I can’t tell you much more because I don’t have the station. But people seem to connect to USB and browse files without any problem. For example here: WS-1001 having trouble with firmware 2.2.9, the second entry:

I verified the updates were going in by looking at the files in NAND memory when hooked up by USB to Windows 10.

Following this link on the post you put, MS say this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/windows-mobile-device-center-compatibility-with/95c017d8-c243-48a1-bbdc-afb77255ca7f
So, Sync Center is also on Windows 10 and maybe this allow you to connect.

Yes, looks like you have been doing similar googling to me to find answer. I did see that post previously, but could not work out how he got that going. Maybe he did the manual install similar to the link I posted?? Anyway, it was a good prompter for me, and I have left a post in that thread to see if he can give an insight into what he had to do.

FYI, I have previously had a poke around the Sync Center thing, but could not see any way to get the file system mounted.

Anyway, hopefully I can get insights from StratosDog on the other thread, because it would be nice to connect via USB for upgrades, and tweaking the configuration without having to go back to old Win 7. But if not, it is not the end of the world, and I hope that Brian will be able to resolve my unique issue with more than 1 interface, and Wifi direct in future versions which I hope will let me choose the correct LAN interface.

Thanks again for you help.

Cheers Matthew

try this update
where you can set the multicast IP to use
and tick to use that…then click on close/save
then restart WD

Where do I get the update?

Thanks
Matthew